Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 09:02 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

$700 for Q5 brake service @ 25K!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Not leased, a purchase. Since you couldn't even read a forum thread correctly I seriously doubt I'll take your "advice" on things mechanical.

Did the service guys at Audi give you the "G Man" handle? Must be because they laugh their asses off every time you come in for service and drop a grand at their dealership. One born every day.
I was talking to the OP, not you, but you are even more guilty because you bought a expensive car and cheap out on proper maintenance. You dont need to use the dealer for service if you are trying to save money, but at least use a indy Audi mechanic. If a is indy Audi mechanic is too expensive for you, may I suugest buying a Hyundai next time.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-17-2011, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
but at least use a indy Audi mechanic. If a is indy Audi mechanic is too expensive for you, may I suugest buying a Hyundai next time.
May I first "suggest" to you something called "spell check".

If you were talking to the OP as you claim, then why did you quote me two replies back? Also, if you were indeed talking to the OP then you're a jerk as all that guy did was post a genuine concern and ask for advice, so you belittle him about Jiffy Lube and infer he probably puts low octane gas in his Q5? That guy never even mentioned Jiffy Lube, I did. All he wanted to know was what a fair price on a brake job would be.

It appears you seem to get your self worth from belittling others with your "smarts"..well, spending more money than one needs isn't smart, it's just stupid.

By the way, I bet if you went to a Hyundai Tuscon or Santa Fe forum one wouldn't find half the bull**** problems the Q5 has and a bunch of neophytes convincing themselves that it's all part of the German car ownership "experience". Audi only wishes it could make vehicles as reliable as Hyundai does, but I guess a reliable vehicle means nothing to someone obviously more concerned with a brand badge than with reliability. The two shouldn't be mutually exclusive, as clearly is the case with the Q5.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

May I first "suggest" to you something called "spell check".

If you were talking to the OP as you claim, then why did you quote me two replies back? Also, if you were indeed talking to the OP then you're a jerk as all that guy did was post a genuine concern and ask for advice, so you belittle him about Jiffy Lube and infer he probably puts low octane gas in his Q5? That guy never even mentioned Jiffy Lube, I did. All he wanted to know was what a fair price on a brake job would be.

It appears you seem to get your self worth from belittling others with your "smarts"..well, spending more money than one needs isn't smart, it's just stupid.

By the way, I bet if you went to a Hyundai Tuscon or Santa Fe forum one wouldn't find half the bull**** problems the Q5 has and a bunch of neophytes convincing themselves that it's all part of the German car ownership "experience". Audi only wishes it could make vehicles as reliable as Hyundai does, but I guess a reliable vehicle means nothing to someone obviously more concerned with a brand badge than with reliability. The two shouldn't be mutually exclusive, as clearly is the case with the Q5.
Talk about not knowing how to spell. Its Hyundai Tucson, not Hyundai Tuscon lol.
Did you lease your Audi? no, then why would I be talking to you, talk about self centered.
I think you are a fool if you think you should maintain your Audi like you do with your Nissan Rogue. Why buy a race horse, if you are going to feed it junk food.
If you want a reliable vehicle and a vehicle that doesnt cost much maintain, why did you buy a Audi, maybe you should stay with a Nissan.

Last edited by The G Man; 06-19-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Jiffy lube will likely NOT use the correct oil and will NOT torque the drain plug and filter cap to the correct torque value.

I got no idea WTF that's supposed to mean. "yuppie?"...I thought that word died with the E30 BMW.
Apparently I didn't get the memo. I still say yuppie food stamps.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

a bunch of neophytes convincing themselves that it's all part of the German car ownership "experience".
Nothing wrong with being a "neophyte." You have to start somewhere. We can get you through this if you pay attention and stay focused.
This forum has helped many a rookie and we'll be more than happy to assist you.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tridentnyc you just lumped all models of Q5, all years, all locations since production started together as if anyone could suffer all these problems. That is a gross inacuracy. If anyone is trying "brainwashing" it is the people who misrepresnt and generalise.
One of the great benefits of the spreadsheet is the ability to query fails any way you want. It also clearly shows when a problem has stopped appearing.
It is an extremely tedious procedure scouring the forum for every bit of usable data over many years (especially for both Q5 and Q7) to colate it into a simple system and making available for anyone to use.
I always feel like I have just been slapped in the face when I read posts like yours.
Often its only doing the DIY servicing that gives one any appreciation of where the value is in paying the professionals. Dont forget for your buck you also get the security of the law behind you if anything goes wrong or the job was not done properly.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree, just because we do not want to take our Audi to Midas for brakes, that doesn't mean we are smoking crack. If cost is an issue, an independent Audi mechanic can be a lot cheaper.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warranty of brakes

So my father had bought a pre-owned 08 certified audi last year and from what i remember within driving the 1st 1500 miles the rear brakes started squeaking at about 31500 miles. the car we got at 30000 miles. When he went to talk to the service rep at the dealership; the rep himself stated that brakes are considered "wear and tear" items which would only be covered under defective issues on the 1st and original 12,000 miles or 1st year which the vehicle was bought, which ever comes 1st...the job would have cost him a little over 550 bucks for pads and rotors. he ended up going with an independent audi mechanic that we found and where recommended by a few people and the job total was about 330 including labor brakes and rotors. i would say find an independent audi mechanic in your area and shop around for quotes, also depends on the rotors and brake pads you choose
Old 09-16-2011, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ItsEday
the job total was about 330 including labor brakes and rotors.
$330.00 for rear brakes is not cheap by any means...but $550 is insane!

Quick Reply: $700 for Q5 brake service @ 25K!?!?