Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

17619 - Secondary Air Injection System: Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 17619 - Secondary Air Injection System: Bank 1

Engine light came on yesterday, scanned it a saw this code. The thing is that when I looked closer, this fault happened 2018-12-18, but the light didn't come on until yesterday. No other engine faults. What would be the reason for that delay?

Cleared it and so far didn't come back after two cold starts.

2013 Q5, 3.0 TSI.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Odds are you're on the verge of getting another code.There's different "authorities" among the codes, some won't turn on the check engine light.But eventually something more serious may present itself.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks a lot.

Do you think it will be the same code? it should be otherwise I would have seen more then one fault yesterday, when scanned it, am I right?

Last edited by tomaszp72; 02-21-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
Thanks a lot.

Do you think it will be the same code? it should be otherwise I would have seen more then one fault yesterday, when scanned it, am I right?
BTW: Audi extended warranty on this to 100k, but do you guys know if everything in this secondary system is covered or just carbon built up?
Old 02-27-2019, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If somebody is still interested, dealer is telling me that this is most likely carbon built up in the secondary air injection system, covered by extended warranty, but Audi requires codes on both banks to be present to do the cleaning....for the time being, since this has nothing to do with driving just the emission the only thing I can do is to clear codes from time to time and make sure I clean them before going to DEQ.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:47 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

If somebody is still interested, dealer is telling me that this is most likely carbon built up in the secondary air injection system, covered by extended warranty, but Audi requires codes on both banks to be present to do the cleaning....for the time being, since this has nothing to do with driving just the emission the only thing I can do is to clear codes from time to time and make sure I clean them before going to DEQ.
That stinks, so the dealer expects you to just deal with constantly getting a CEL because the fault has not appeared on the second bank yet? If you didn't have something to check/clear the codes yourself then you are expected to driver it all the way over to the dealership every time? Seem like a BS move on their part.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
That stinks, so the dealer expects you to just deal with constantly getting a CEL because the fault has not appeared on the second bank yet? If you didn't have something to check/clear the codes yourself then you are expected to driver it all the way over to the dealership every time? Seem like a BS move on their part.
Pretty much. I know the dealer so it is not them it is Audi headquarters. They will not approve unless both banks throw the code. I wonder if there is a way to make Audi do it since this is emissions=environment and they already agreed to extend warranty on that.

I'm not sold on the fact that this is carbon built up anyways, this could be some leak on the bank one system.

The good news is that it takes a while for the MIL to show up. Last time it took two months after the code showed up. I know the code is back there but the MIL is off. I'm going to scan it once a week for the time being and clear this code.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:36 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Pretty much. I know the dealer so it is not them it is Audi headquarters. They will not approve unless both banks throw the code. I wonder if there is a way to make Audi do it since this is emissions=environment and they already agreed to extend warranty on that.

I'm not sold on the fact that this is carbon built up anyways, this could be some leak on the bank one system.

The good news is that it takes a while for the MIL to show up. Last time it took two months after the code showed up. I know the code is back there but the MIL is off. I'm going to scan it once a week for the time being and clear this code.
Even without the second bank code if the dealer believes it is carbon buildup and cannot repair it any other way it is at their discretion to do the work to your satisfaction and keep you a happy customer. Especially if you're friendly with the dealer. If it is not carbon buildup as you suspect then they are not doing their job and resolving your problem. Either way pretty weak.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

To be fair, they haven't seen the car, I just sent them the codes. They think it is carbon built up, because it is the most common reason.

I may call Audi America to see what they say, but I completely agree with you that this is BS.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:31 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

To be fair, they haven't seen the car, I just sent them the codes. They think it is carbon built up, because it is the most common reason.

I may call Audi America to see what they say, but I completely agree with you that this is BS.
Oh, nevermind then. I thought you had brought it to them to fix the problem and the best they could do was say "deal with it until the other code comes in"....that would have been BS.

Quick Reply: 17619 - Secondary Air Injection System: Bank 1