Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2010 Clogged Cowl Q5 - water leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Clogged Cowl Q5 - water leak

So I found the floor on the passenger side too wet; there was heavy rain for 2 days and the car was parked outside. My Q5 does not have a sunroof; it was hard to find tutorials or pictures so I took some. In case someone finds this problem..

Under the hood there's this plastic cover just below the wipers arms. I did not remove the wipers since my arm would just get to the cowl fine..

Remove the plastic cover, it has 4 clips.. close to the battery terminal in the center there are 2 of the 4. When unplugged just pull it towards you.

You will see the cowls, clean them up and place the cover back. No more water in the passenger floor, I hope!

Old 10-06-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad to see you got some dirt out! was there any water sitting in there? I attached 3 pictures that may help you or others.

Removal of the Plenum cover

Driver side plug

Passenger side plug
Old 10-06-2018, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Great info thanks Warhead.Those who live/park in areas with lots of airborne junk should pay attention to this drainage system.Don't know about the Q5 but on the previous A4's the Ecu/relay board was under this plenum on the driver's side.That's not a place where you want standing water.I've seen lots of expensive repairs resulting from some leaves pine needles etc. blocking the plenum drainage.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Warhead
Glad to see you got some dirt out! was there any water sitting in there? I attached 3 pictures that may help you or others.

Removal of the Plenum cover

Driver side plug

Passenger side plug
Thanks a lot for this info !
Old 11-25-2018, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great information. I park under several cherry trees and have been cleaning out the leaves that bunch around the windshield and wipers. Looking under the plenum cover, I could see a lot there, too. Pic included of dry leaves in plenum chamber. Underneath was a mass of soggy, wet leaves that were partially blocking the drain on the passenger side.

Last edited by Manual_Trans; 11-25-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Between the casual "the wiper arm is removed" (using explosives? A wrench? Or perhaps, just asking it nicely?) and the warning note of extremely dangerous high voltage (One can only guess that the headlight ballasts must backfeed, unprotected, all the way to the windshield base?) it makes me want to run to my gen-you-whine Audi dealer and beg them to please, please, take all my money and do this dangerous work for me.

Couldn't I just, you know, roll the car over a few times and shake the debris out?
Old 11-29-2018, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes rolling it will likely do it ! Please report back upon completion Redd.I just read that the new E-Tron GT (extremely cool Ecar that could make me take the leap) will run 800V system.Howie over at the quick lube better buy some good rubber boots.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Murray, I heard the QuikLube and some of the other chains will give you a $9.95 oil change on any model EV.
Guaranteed in and out in 15 minutes or less, too.(G)
Old 06-05-2019, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Found water in my passenger foot well last night. Fun times.

Going to have to see if the cowl is clogged. Right away I found the cowl panel trim (#1) was not firmly attached to the windshield. Replacement windshield installer did a crap job it seems, in the past my rear view mirror almost seemed ready to fall off.

Oh the joys of used cars....
Old 06-10-2019, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had a bunch of water in the passenger foot well of my 2013 Q5. It seemed there was a leak between the windshield and the plastic molding. But turns out that was not the real culprit. The actual ingress point into the foot well was between the cabin air intake box and the gasket of the cabin air intake. Water would drip from between the windshield and plastic molding, run down the metal of the body, into the fan, and then the foot well. Dealer wanted $400 for new parts, plus labor. I declined and have just fixed with clear silicone on the top and two sides of the cabin air intake. This took the dealer a couple hours to track down.

First post. Hope this might help.

Quick Reply: 2010 Clogged Cowl Q5 - water leak