Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2011 Q5 OIL Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Q5 OIL Issues UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11/12/18

Well I was excited buying this car for my wife but man does it go through oil or what. It’s a constant issues, we’ve owned it 2 months and low oil lights has come on 3 times. I’ve ordered a dipstick and keep an eye on it twice a week but it consumes oil quicker then I can keep up. Just frustrated and not sure what else to do. Seems like I’m stuck with a car that just swallows oil like there’s no tomorrow.

UPDATE : I went in for the oil consumption test on 10/09/18 paid $258 in total. On 10/14/18 message came on MMI drive to dealer and Low Oil. Service Adviser told me it's gonna be a done deal it will get rebuilt. They did do a rebuild or change pistons, rings and so on. The car after getting it back on 10/19/18 drove bad, seemed like it was down a couple of cylinders and just did not want to accelerate. Told the adviser and he said just drive it and see what happens you need to bring it back in a week anyway. Well after 25 miles of getting it back the car shook bad and lost power. Towed it in and it ended up being an injector he said. Those are as well covered under a seperate warranty. I got the car back on 10/22/18 and since then its only dropped 1 to 2 bars on the MMI. I say 1 to 2 because one day it shows one or the other. So it's ALOT better and acceleration is back. By the way the entire time i had the new Q5 loaner, interior looks way better but seats are absolute garbage, horrid. I could'nt wait to get out of that car. They are hard as a rock and the side bolsters the one near the door pokes into your leg. Anyway overall back to the subject I'm fairly happy with the end result. Thank you for the advice given to me and it was taken. Saved me thousands. I asked the service adviser what would've been the cost and he said it was over 8k, how true that is, who knows.

Last edited by karpetcm; 11-12-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I guess it would be safe to assume you bought it with a 2.0T engine. What mileage is the Q5 at?
Old 10-05-2018, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Warhead
I guess it would be safe to assume you bought it with a 2.0T engine. What mileage is the Q5 at?
sorry about that, yes it’s the 2.0T. I bought it with 76k miles.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by karpetcm

sorry about that, yes it’s the 2.0T. I bought it with 76k miles.
Now I don't know a lot about the older Q5's but oil consumption is a largely known issue with the 2.0T. There is a fix for that Audi will do after it fails an oil consumption test (By the dealer). I believe that the warranty for the fix to be covered was extended 80,000 miles. Again I am unfamiliar with that proceeding but others on here have gone through it. I am pretty sure they end up replacing pistons and rings to correct the oil consumption issue. Also if the timing chain guild hasn't been replaced yet, it should be. They have come out with several revisions to the original one since. The old one is prone to failure where your timing chain can skip a few teeth causing your pistons and valves to mate.

Welcome to the forums and I hope that your find the information you need.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Warhead
Now I don't know a lot about the older Q5's but oil consumption is a largely known issue with the 2.0T. There is a fix for that Audi will do after it fails an oil consumption test (By the dealer). I believe that the warranty for the fix to be covered was extended 80,000 miles. Again I am unfamiliar with that proceeding but others on here have gone through it. I am pretty sure they end up replacing pistons and rings to correct the oil consumption issue. Also if the timing chain guild hasn't been replaced yet, it should be. They have come out with several revisions to the original one since. The old one is prone to failure where your timing chain can skip a few teeth causing your pistons and valves to mate.

Welcome to the forums and I hope that your find the information you need.
thank you for the advice appreciate your time.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Hello,

You need to take your car to an Audi dealer and have it tested for oil consumption, this is a very well know issue on early 2.0T models. The dealer will ask you for the service records (specially oil changes) if it has not been fully serviced by an authorized dealer.

The test has 2 stages and eventually a 3rd one, 1st one they install a new PCV valve, update your ECU, top up your oil and ask you to ride it for 600 miles or until the oil light goes off, then you take the car back, next step is to replace piston and rings if oil consumption is off limits (which seems to be), if this does not solve the issue they will install a new engine block and call it a fix. Again, in order to go through all these stages you have to prove that your car was properly serviced, otherwise you might not be eligible for the fix.

And as Warhead said, ask them to install a new distribution kit, chain and tensioner.

BTW, my car (a 2009 2.0T Q5) was an oil burner as well and it was fixed nearly 2 years ago, 20K miles after it has not sipped a drop of oil, I had the stage 2 repair.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2018, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uncleiggy
Hello,

You need to take your car to an Audi dealer and have it tested for oil consumption, this is a very well know issue on early 2.0T models. The dealer will ask you for the service records (specially oil changes) if it has not been fully serviced by an authorized dealer.

The test has 2 stages and eventually a 3rd one, 1st one they install a new PCV valve, update your ECU, top up your oil and ask you to ride it for 600 miles or until the oil light goes off, then you take the car back, next step is to replace piston and rings if oil consumption is off limits (which seems to be), if this does not solve the issue they will install a new engine block and call it a fix. Again, in order to go through all these stages you have to prove that your car was properly serviced, otherwise you might not be eligible for the fix.

And as Warhead said, ask them to install a new distribution kit, chain and tensioner.

BTW, my car (a 2009 2.0T Q5) was an oil burner as well and it was fixed nearly 2 years ago, 20K miles after it has not sipped a drop of oil, I had the stage 2 repair.

Good luck!

what if we only owned the car for 2 months. We just bought it.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by karpetcm

what if we only owned the car for 2 months. We just bought it.
Audi keep records of all services performed to a car at authorized dealers, ring the one closest to you and ask them for an appointment for an oil consumption test. In the meanwhile ask the seller for the service history, specially oil changes. Try not to put a lot of miles on the car since warranty for this issue expires at 80K miles as Warhead mentioned.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

As others have posted.........

Go to an Audi dealers immediately as not to exceed that 80K miles warranty limit. Get it in writing that you are there for the excessive oil consumption problem.

I personally would also call your country's Audi headquarters and open up a case with them, stating the issue. Get the case number for future reference.

Even though you only owned the Q5 for 2 months, as long as you have a decent oil change history you should be able to get the required parts (PVC valve, rings, pistons, etc,) for free. As others stated, do yourself a favor and change the timing chain, chain guides, and chain tensioner at your cost. There is a current Audi campaign where they will replace the tensioner if it fails at their cost, usually when it fails the valves hit the pistons and bend, repair cost at the dealer has been about $7K, this was before Audi now covering the cost. If you get the rings replaced, talk to Audi about doing the tensioner for free with you paying for the chain and guides. They just may go for this to prevent future tenioner repair costs on them.

I realize that you didn't want to hear about all this when you just bought the Q5, but look at the bright side, Audi engines normally start having oil issues around 100K miles. You will have an engine that will now last another 50 - 100K miles with very little cost (chain, guides) to you.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
As others have posted.........

Go to an Audi dealers immediately as not to exceed that 80K miles warranty limit. Get it in writing that you are there for the excessive oil consumption problem.

I personally would also call your country's Audi headquarters and open up a case with them, stating the issue. Get the case number for future reference.

Even though you only owned the Q5 for 2 months, as long as you have a decent oil change history you should be able to get the required parts (PVC valve, rings, pistons, etc,) for free. As others stated, do yourself a favor and change the timing chain, chain guides, and chain tensioner at your cost. There is a current Audi campaign where they will replace the tensioner if it fails at their cost, usually when it fails the valves hit the pistons and bend, repair cost at the dealer has been about $7K, this was before Audi now covering the cost. If you get the rings replaced, talk to Audi about doing the tensioner for free with you paying for the chain and guides. They just may go for this to prevent future tenioner repair costs on them.

I realize that you didn't want to hear about all this when you just bought the Q5, but look at the bright side, Audi engines normally start having oil issues around 100K miles. You will have an engine that will now last another 50 - 100K miles with very little cost (chain, guides) to you.
What he said! And go out and spread the gospel to research thoroughly any contemplated car purchase beforehand, so that you know the common issues folks have experienced. Quite a few potential buyers who came here with this purpose were talked out of buying a used 2011 Q5 for the reasons above.

Quick Reply: 2011 Q5 OIL Issues