Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2011 Q5 Startup Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm resurrecting my thread regarding this startup issue that I have been having since my Q5 is at the dealer right now.

First of all, thanks again to asm77 for taking some time to let me borrow his VCDS to plug into my car The scan came up with an error code on Engine 1 for a cylinder misfire so when I scheduled a service appointment, I gave them a copy of that.

Unfortunately, my service guy just told me that when they scanned my car for fault codes, nothing comes up and the one that I gave them did not even show up on their system so I was told they cannot do anything until a fault code appears on their diagnostics test What a bummer. now it seems like I will have to live with this startup issue...
Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JennyC
I'm resurrecting my thread regarding this startup issue that I have been having since my Q5 is at the dealer right now.

First of all, thanks again to asm77 for taking some time to let me borrow his VCDS to plug into my car The scan came up with an error code on Engine 1 for a cylinder misfire so when I scheduled a service appointment, I gave them a copy of that.

Unfortunately, my service guy just told me that when they scanned my car for fault codes, nothing comes up and the one that I gave them did not even show up on their system so I was told they cannot do anything until a fault code appears on their diagnostics test What a bummer. now it seems like I will have to live with this startup issue...
That's BS about them not being able to do anything until they see a fault code. For one, they could check the injectors to see if they are in fact leaking. Mine didn't have an error code. I told them what it was doing, what I thought it was, and they looked at it and fixed 2 of the injectors. Go to another dealer. In this day and age, sad to say but you might be getting jerked around because you're a woman.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
That's BS about them not being able to do anything until they see a fault code. For one, they could check the injectors to see if they are in fact leaking. Mine didn't have an error code. I told them what it was doing, what I thought it was, and they looked at it and fixed 2 of the injectors. Go to another dealer. In this day and age, sad to say but you might be getting jerked around because you're a woman.
+1

Think it's time you made the drive up the 405 to another dealership.

I don't know what it is about the dealership's scanning equipment but when I had backup camera issues (which have sadly resurfaced), my dealership initially told me they couldn't find any faults. When I showed them the faults I pulled up from VCDS, they were able to fix it for me (though I can't say whether their own software confirmed). At the end of the day, it's warranty work that'll get paid for by AoA so you'd think they'd be happy to oblige... =/
Old 07-29-2011, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And certainly discuss your 'svc experience' with the service mgr and dealership ownership and ask them what would THEY do if their car was doing this and THAT was the response they got ....

be nice but firm at first, acting like you are trying to make their dealership better, you can always get loud later if they don't respond correctly

(and state their dealership name will be on the internet to let potential customers know what to expect !)

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 07-29-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
I know, maybe they think I was smoking crack when I told them about the fault code that they could not see on their end. I did push them to look at the fuel injectors since I have done some research on this forum and other sites about this common issue prior to taking it there. They *finally* we're able to find a bad fuel injector which they told me they will replace. I guess it does take some pushing and prodding to get them to go that extra mile and actually find out what is wrong with my car.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by asm777
+1

Think it's time you made the drive up the 405 to another dealership.

I don't know what it is about the dealership's scanning equipment but when I had backup camera issues (which have sadly resurfaced), my dealership initially told me they couldn't find any faults. When I showed them the faults I pulled up from VCDS, they were able to fix it for me (though I can't say whether their own software confirmed). At the end of the day, it's warranty work that'll get paid for by AoA so you'd think they'd be happy to oblige... =/
I was starting to doubt that whoever was scanning my car was doing it wrong because they couldn't find the fault code that your VCDS found for me. (BTW, I may end up getting my own cable, I think its pretty handy so I won't be bothering you too much! =)
Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know, maybe they think I was smoking crack when I told them about the fault code that they could not see on their end. I did push them to look at the fuel injectors since I have done some research on this forum and other sites about this common issue prior to taking it there. They *finally* we're able to find a bad fuel injector which they told me they will replace. I guess it does take some pushing and prodding to get them to go that extra mile and actually find out what is wrong with my car.
I was starting to doubt that whoever was scanning my car was doing it wrong because they couldn't find the fault code that your VCDS found for me. (BTW, I may end up getting my own cable, I think its pretty handy so I won't be bothering you too much! =)
Good to hear that you're dealership is finally being helpful.

Glad to have been able to help with VCDS. Feel free to PM if you need any help in the future. =)
Old 07-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good to hear that you're dealership is finally being helpful.

Glad to have been able to help with VCDS. Feel free to PM if you need any help in the future. =)
Yeah, my service guy is really nice and a professional person to deal with so I was happy when they didn't stop until they found the actual problem. (P.S. they gave me an A4 loaner and my husband likes how it drives so he is now considering getting an Audi. whoah! =)
Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, my service guy is really nice and a professional person to deal with so I was happy when they didn't stop until they found the actual problem. (P.S. they gave me an A4 loaner and my husband likes how it drives so he is now considering getting an Audi. whoah! =)
Haha, sounds familiar. After we picked up the Q5 for my wife, I somehow ended up in an S4 (even though I had special ordered a C350 with a special order package, waited 3 months, and was 1 week away from picking it up). Audi has come a long way in the past few years. =)
Old 08-02-2011, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Haha, sounds familiar. After we picked up the Q5 for my wife, I somehow ended up in an S4 (even though I had special ordered a C350 with a special order package, waited 3 months, and was 1 week away from picking it up). Audi has come a long way in the past few years. =)
Mine has been doing the same thing approximately 1-2 times per week and I brought it and and they said that there was now fault showing. Was this with the 2.0T or the 3.2 engine? Mine is the 2.0T.

Quick Reply: 2011 Q5 Startup Issue