Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Audi Q5 Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Audi Q5 Oil Consumption

My car is burning a lot of oil, probably 1 quart every 1200 miles. It is manageable but I can imagine this is good for the vehicle. I hope this will not require an engine rebuild. Can it be a pvc gasket? Or something else I should look into before having to bring the car into a dealer?
Old 08-26-2019, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Dealer directly.

You could look at oil sump drain or generally inspect the engine from below for oil leaks. e.g. I had a leak on the oil turbo return hose and my oil pan drain plug threaded shaft was cracked (excess torque).

There is a firmware engine update 2017..... and PCV revision (so changing PCV and firmware update is the first step) ... Ask your dealer to check for the service bulletin (technical product information TPI) SVM code in order to update your engine firmware.

Also some guys talk about engine Rear Main Seal failures. Hope it is not something more major like engine oil consumption due to pistons piston rings and conrods or scorn cylinders. Good luck.

Last edited by apoelistas; 08-27-2019 at 02:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
George Dolidze (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The car is a 2.0T and I would also note that the exhaust is very black and covered in burnt oil, I do not think there is a leak where I am loosing oil but the oil is being burnt inside the engine.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the threads on oil consumption due to bad piston rings that affected many Audi 2.0 turbo engines, not just the Q5s. Many have had the rings replaced under warranty though there is a specific procedure and process that the dealer needs to perform to verify the problem and have it covered by Audi. I also think there is a mileage limitation (under 100K??)
apoelistas (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you want to diagnose Q5 problems in general then you have to get a VCDs diagnostic. It is just 200-250 USD check Ross Tech website for VCDs licensed suppliers (3 vin). It is the cost of 1 dealer diagnostic scan charge. It is what most of us are using for less dealer visits.

Is your PCV the dual colour? Do you have the part number or a photo showing the part number??? You need to remove the engine cover. I can tell you which Is the latest part number of your PCV if you want to change it by yourself.

I also need the production week of your 2013 Q5 to let you know if you need an engine Ecu firmware update (oil consumption TPI mentions upto which week 2013 Q5s need this update).

or you need to visit your dealer ASAP.

Originally Posted by mancerator
Check the threads on oil consumption due to bad piston rings that affected many Audi 2.0 turbo engines, not just the Q5s. Many have had the rings replaced under warranty though there is a specific procedure and process that the dealer needs to perform to verify the problem and have it covered by Audi. I also think there is a mileage limitation (under 100K??)
I think 2013 engines are not covered by Audi are they??? But You can debate if your engine is included in the TPI that they should cover all costs irrespective if your Q5 was serviced at the dealer or if not you need evidence of oil type used at which mileage.

Last edited by apoelistas; 08-27-2019 at 09:43 AM.
George Dolidze (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I do not think mine has had that service done. I tried to speak to my Audi tech about it and he told me if I am burning less than a liter per 1000 miles that is in spec. Which everyone knows is way too excessive. I am at 94,000 miles and I think the issue may be getting worse. I am considering just selling the car but would rather try to fix it to get another 50-100k out of it.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@apoelistas I have one of the portable blue tooth scanners, and did not see any error codes, should I still get a ross tech specifically? The PVC is the new one with dual colors, not sure about the model. I do not know how to look up the production date of the car but happy to share my vin if it is something that can be done through a vin. WA1LFAFP0DA060120

Also, I am noticing I am not getting near the MPG the vehicle is spec-ed for, even on highway drives I cannot break 22 mpg no matter how efficiently I drive. I think the oil mixing in with the gas brings down the octane of the fule and results in bad MPG. As a result, I have been considering an oil catch can. Do you think this will solve some of my issues?
Old 09-28-2020, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 348 Likes on 320 Posts

No, an oil catch can is not going to solve your issue. It's not at all addressing the cause of the issue; only trying to apply a crude band-aid for the symptoms of the larger issue.

You should have a professional look at your car ASAP. This issue is not going to get better. It's possible your piston control rings are just clogged with carbon and need to be cleaned. This was the case for another poster recently with a high mileage (100K+ miles) 2014 Q5 2.0T. He did not update his thread but last I spoke with him a week ago or so, after he did the cleaning (which is not hard to do and not expensive) the car has been running so far (1000 miles or so) without burning oil.
George Dolidze (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There is no proper R&D for using the right catch can and how to be connected in order to utilise the existing Audi PCV as a complementary add on. Have my doubts or believe that catch can will create problems rather than fix others.

this is where Oil quality and service frequency (oil change in km) becomes important.

could not find using your vin the build date.

here is the info if you would like to check:
Optimised pistons + piston rings, gradually up to week 46/2013

I doubt that if you have the metallic intake manifold you will have any carbon build up.

If you have the metallic intake manifold and your build date is prior to 46 week of 2013 then you may need to upgrade your pistons conrods etc.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 348 Likes on 320 Posts

Hi apoelistas,

There could still be carbon build up regardless of the metallic intake manifold. For example, as a mentioned, a recent poster just had this on a 2014 2.0T. The newer version should be less prone to this issue but not immune from it.

Starting at time 8:00 in this video: "ATTENTION THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT" ..... only the gen 3 pistons guarantee no oil consumption...... "These pistons are installed from 2015 onwards and do not suffer from the oil issues". DO NOT USE AFTERMARKET!

Not saying this YouTube video is the holy grail, but it is my understanding that the pistons/ring may have been further revised past 46/2013. I am very interested in this topic so please correct if I'm wrong or if you have any other information.

Quick Reply: 2013 Audi Q5 Oil Consumption