Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 pedal vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Q5 pedal vibration

Hello all... new member. Just picked up a 2013 Q5 P+. Great so far and it is my second Audi [had A5 previous].

Put < 500 miles so far and started to experience a steering wheel/pedal vibration during acceleration. Most prominent when cruising around in the 1500-2500 RPM range. Light accelerator in this range [no shift and is usually in 6-7th gear] produces the light vibrations.

Does not happen during coasting, idle or when revving neutral.

Have a dealer appointment next week. Just was curious to see if anyone had any previous experience with such an issue.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have you installed the aftermarket wheels and tires ?
If you did, check them first.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Q5White13. I do not have aftermarket wheels and tires...just the stock 19s.

I thought about CV joints, balance and alignment but its smooth when coasting. I also thought about coil packs and motor mounts but it seems smooth at idle and neutral revving.

So... am thinking it might be a loose transmission mount, some sort of underneath contact [exhaust?] under load or just general 2.0T vibration [although my A5 never did this].
Old 12-01-2012, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

pretty sure not a coil pack. First, I think those have been mostly resolved in the newer engines, where they were a problem in the 1.8T. And if you've ever had one, you know RIGHT AWAY that's the problem. Sounds awful and has no power at all. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Perhaps I am missing something....
Why not take it back to the dealer? These folks are our friends. They shoud give you a loaner and fix your concerns. Or I missed soemthing.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I do have a dealer appointment scheduled for next week. I was just curious to see if any other owners might have run into the same issue.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Qdriver
I do have a dealer appointment scheduled for next week. I was just curious to see if any other owners might have run into the same issue.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Any updates on this . I think im having same issue but only when accelerating hard.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dealer could not find anything. Went on a lengthy ride with the tech and he said it was driving normally for him.

We discussed and chalked it up to "harmonic resonance" when the RPMs drop >2K. It is smooth as butter when cruising above 2K RPM.

Seems like there was a similar issue with Volkswagen Tiguan when the transmission would drop RPMS > 2K too soon cruising around town [for gas mileage reasons]. I heard there was a TCM re-program for them to raise the shift points slightly to avoid the resonance.

Haven't experienced anything under hard acceleration.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Qdriver
Dealer could not find anything. Went on a lengthy ride with the tech and he said it was driving normally for him.

We discussed and chalked it up to "harmonic resonance" when the RPMs drop >2K. It is smooth as butter when cruising above 2K RPM.

Seems like there was a similar issue with Volkswagen Tiguan when the transmission would drop RPMS > 2K too soon cruising around town [for gas mileage reasons]. I heard there was a TCM re-program for them to raise the shift points slightly to avoid the resonance.

Haven't experienced anything under hard acceleration.
Sounds like you are lugging the motor.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hey guys, im from australia and have the MY13 Q5 but 3.0tdi

The issues you are discussion sounds very familiar to mine but now as been resolved, check your brake disc and see if the pads have scratched the disc in any way, I did get that hollowing sound when i got the car for the first 4 weeks. complained to Audi about it and they test drove it with no luck reproducing it.

When Audi took it back and took about the brakes, the spring which holds the pads where faulty and didnt have enought tension causing the pads to rub the disc and cause that vibration through to the pedals.

Check the callipers, issues could be binding brakes.

Hope that heaps

Cheers,
J.

Quick Reply: 2013 Q5 pedal vibration