Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 3.0 TDI/questions regarding higher mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Q5 3.0 TDI/questions regarding higher mileage

Haven’t been on this forum since I let my old ‘89 200 Quattro go a long time ago...but I’ve got the itch, so I’m older and not much wiser.
I’m seeking advice, I’ve put $ down to hold while I decide about the above mentioned Q5. Most of what I read is that the Q5 is essentially hassle free, but for how long? What mileage do they start to see more repairs, or do they hold up if you stay on top of maintenance?
This one has 93k on the odometer, impeccable service records at local Porsche dealership and about 25k or three years left on the TDI emissions extended warranty. It seems like a great deal...have scoured forums here. Fred’s site, with very little negative out there.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a 2014 Q5 TDI with 80,000 miles. Prior to dieselgate fix, I had one issue of a glow plug replacement. After the two dieselgate fixes (new DPF and various sensors) basically once a year I will have something that will cause MIL engine light to go on. Glow plugs and oxygen sensors take their turns. I expect this will continue. Its not so bad as long as the dieselgate warranty is in force, but after the 10 years / 120,000 miles expires, I am concerned. I will continue to monitor and see if these issue continue. Everything else has been great with the Q5.

If you could find a 2015 or 2016, that would give you more warranty time.
The following 2 users liked this post by DennisMitchell:
imdakine1 (01-12-2021), Luksta (01-08-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

My 2014 has 270k kms/170k mls.I've done the brakes & tires, towed a 4000lb trailer for perhaps 1/3 of those miles.It's still wonderful to drive, has ***-kicking power and looks like new in and out.What more could you ask for ? I had fix #1 no negative impact and unless they want to pay me $$ I so no reason to get #2.I don't know of a better vehicle that you could buy.I've owned a bunch.
The following 2 users liked this post by MurrayA4:
imdakine1 (01-12-2021), Luksta (01-08-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Still loving mine! I haven’t accrued the miles these other posters have, but I haven’t had any problems at all. When I’m out of the extended warranty there’s a TDI guy operating a Euro shop in my town and I’ll bring the car there.
The following users liked this post:
Luksta (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys...I’ve love the diesels, have had diesel Ford trucks, and a 97 Passat back in the day and have had nothing but positive experiences (Ford was the 7.3). Asking price is reasonable and having the history and service records give me some confidence that this one hasn’t been abused...although most diesels appreciate being used and abused on occasion, not beaten up, more of the “pull my hair” kinda use...greatly appreciate the info.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Luksta
Thanks guys...I’ve love the diesels, have had diesel Ford trucks, and a 97 Passat back in the day and have had nothing but positive experiences (Ford was the 7.3). Asking price is reasonable and having the history and service records give me some confidence that this one hasn’t been abused...although most diesels appreciate being used and abused on occasion, not beaten up, more of the “pull my hair” kinda use...greatly appreciate the info.
Listen for a panoramic sunroof noise (rattle / click / squeek). This can be very annoying and as much as $2500 to fix.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I have a 2014 Q5 TDI with 80,000 miles. Prior to dieselgate fix, I had one issue of a glow plug replacement. After the two dieselgate fixes (new DPF and various sensors) basically once a year I will have something that will cause MIL engine light to go on. Glow plugs and oxygen sensors take their turns. I expect this will continue. Its not so bad as long as the dieselgate warranty is in force, but after the 10 years / 120,000 miles expires, I am concerned. I will continue to monitor and see if these issue continue. Everything else has been great with the Q5.

If you could find a 2015 or 2016, that would give you more warranty time.
Hi @DennisMitchell A blast from the best... I have a 2014 Q5 TDI with 69,600 mile and love it. I have mainly had the issue of the windshield washer on the driver side not working and an easy fix by the dealer... We just bought a 2021 Audi Q8 on New Year’s Eve as we needed a larger two vehicle for a new 2021 AirStream.

No fear, we kept the Q5 TDI as it’s amazing! The 240HP and 428lbs of torque makes it such a sleeper beast...

I am hoping to get 1,500 miles on the new Q8 before towing and it’s a a amazing vehicle, the adaptive suspension and all wheel steering makes it feel much smaller as well. I have to say the 335HP and 369lb torque is nice but something about the 428lb torque in the smaller and lighter Q5 is magical.

I don’t recall what we get as a warranty for the Q5 due to the diesel scandal?? Can you remind me?

Everyone wants to buy my 2014 Q5 TDI and as I bought the Q8 they were begging for me to trade it in!
Old 01-12-2021, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
My 2014 has 270k kms/170k mls.I've done the brakes & tires, towed a 4000lb trailer for perhaps 1/3 of those miles.It's still wonderful to drive, has ***-kicking power and looks like new in and out.What more could you ask for ? I had fix #1 no negative impact and unless they want to pay me $$ I so no reason to get #2.I don't know of a better vehicle that you could buy.I've owned a bunch.
I would love to hear your experience towing. My Q5 doesn’t have the tow package and we decided to keep the 2014 Q5 TDI and bough a 2021 Q8 which had the same towing capacity as the Q7 with a slightly lower payload capacity at 1124lbs. The 7,700 towing capacity and 770 tongue is well within the range of our 2021 Air Stream 23’. Only issue is we aren’t supposed to use a WDH and the AS dealer says our 23’ has a low tongue weight and can sway so believes a WDH is helpful. We have the adaptive suspension package in the Q8 allows for raising and lowering the Q8.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by imdakine1
Hi @DennisMitchell A blast from the best... I have a 2014 Q5 TDI with 69,600 mile and love it. I have mainly had the issue of the windshield washer on the driver side not working and an easy fix by the dealer... We just bought a 2021 Audi Q8 on New Year’s Eve as we needed a larger two vehicle for a new 2021 AirStream.

No fear, we kept the Q5 TDI as it’s amazing! The 240HP and 428lbs of torque makes it such a sleeper beast...

I am hoping to get 1,500 miles on the new Q8 before towing and it’s a a amazing vehicle, the adaptive suspension and all wheel steering makes it feel much smaller as well. I have to say the 335HP and 369lb torque is nice but something about the 428lb torque in the smaller and lighter Q5 is magical.

I don’t recall what we get as a warranty for the Q5 due to the diesel scandal?? Can you remind me?

Everyone wants to buy my 2014 Q5 TDI and as I bought the Q8 they were begging for me to trade it in!
Nice to hear from you and best of luck with Q8. That is a real beauty. The Q5 TDI extended warranty is comprehensive. It doesn't make sense financially to purchase a full extended warranty. Just put the money that it would cost in savings account and use that when you need a repair not covered by the TDI extended emissions warranty. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
imdakine1 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Nice to hear from you and best of luck with Q8. That is a real beauty. The Q5 TDI extended warranty is comprehensive. It doesn't make sense financially to purchase a full extended warranty. Just put the money that it would cost in savings account and use that when you need a repair not covered by the TDI extended emissions warranty. Enjoy.
Thanks! How is your Q5 TDI? Agreed with not needing an extended warranty and thus far feel really fortunate that it’s been a great vehicle. I wish the Q5 would have had more towing capacity as I would have loved to be able to use it for our upcoming Airstream. The Q8 has been fun but still new so learning to adjust to the size difference! We now have a three year old daughter so we think the Q8 will be a nice larger vehicle without having to go to the Q7 at this time... — slightly less practical but for at least the life of the Q5 before maybe needing a three row vehicle... haha!

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 3.0 TDI/questions regarding higher mileage