Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 "warm seat" issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Q5 "warm seat" issue

We just bought a 2014 Q5 Premium Plus 2.0T. I have an interesting issue with our new car. I feel like the driver and front passenger seat get quite warm by itself, i.e. when the seat heater is not turned on. It is a strange feeling. When I felt it first time, I thought the seat heater was on but it was not at all. Have anybody else had a similar experience? Any ideas, any suggestions?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by arawamis
We just bought a 2014 Q5 Premium Plus 2.0T. I have an interesting issue with our new car. I feel like the driver and front passenger seat get quite warm by itself, i.e. when the seat heater is not turned on. It is a strange feeling. When I felt it first time, I thought the seat heater was on but it was not at all. Have anybody else had a similar experience? Any ideas, any suggestions?
Find the fuse for the heated seats circuit and remove it. Hopefully it doesn't disable any other important functions and see if you still feel the "warmth".
Old 09-21-2013, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arawamis
A couple of questions. What color is your interior (black may tend to be warmer than a lighter color)? What kind of vehicle did you come from (did it have ventilated seats or maybe a lighter color)?

We came from back to back cars with ventilated seats and was worried aobut the black interior in our Q5, but so far, after one summer, no major issues.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Seems same w/ ours on a warmer day

We have the Sport seats w/ chestnut brown interior. In general, the seats don't seem to "breathe" at all and the construction traps a lot of body heat. Clearly not the seat heaters, and turning them on is an instant cranking up of the issue. Worse than other cars of a variety of makes, Audi's included, without ventilated seats. Way worse than the ventilated seats in my A8, which themselves have pretty weak fan assist compared to many others.

Will be getting roof tinted to decrease in part the "pre-warming of the seats from direct sun and higher interior temps.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had a Honda w\ leather seats and no ventilation. I've never felt like the seat was getting warm from body heat. This is exactly what is happening w\ my new Q5's seat. Strange.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
A couple of questions. What color is your interior (black may tend to be warmer than a lighter color)? What kind of vehicle did you come from (did it have ventilated seats or maybe a lighter color)?

We came from back to back cars with ventilated seats and was worried aobut the black interior in our Q5, but so far, after one summer, no major issues.
Interior is black. But my previous car had black leather as well and never had such a trapped "body heat" issue at all.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quit eating so much jalapenos
Old 09-22-2013, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just did test drive in a 2014 Q5 TDI and thought the same thing. I checked several times to see that the heaters were off. It definataly felt like they were on.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 650b
I just did test drive in a 2014 Q5 TDI and thought the same thing. I checked several times to see that the heaters were off. It definataly felt like they were on.
Funny this came up recently as I've had a '13 Q5 3.0 since mid-June with zero issues. On Friday while driving home from work I felt like the seat heater was on. I had used it in the morning since it was a little chilly, but had turned it off after a few minutes since it works well. Plus it's not supposed to stay on when you turn off the engine.

Well, fast forward to 5pm and I was sweating while driving home and my back felt crazy warm. It was hardly the warmest day of the year. I had convinced my self the damn thing was on even though the lights for it were off. It was very weird.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I notice the same thing. Not exactly HOT, but warm in the back. First, realize that "leather" seats actually have a coating on them to prevent stains and reduce wear. I'm sure that coating does not breathe. I actually wish the Sport Seats had a cloth center section, like the GTI (excepting for the plaid). They would grip much better and breathe great. Unfortunately it would probably tarnish the image, because every casual buyer knows "leather good, cloth bad".