Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2017 Q5 MMI Bluetooth- Major Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Q5 MMI Bluetooth- Major Issues

Hey everyone,

New 2017 Q5 owner and love my car, HOWEVER, I've had major connectivity issues since purchasing the car 2 months ago. Here is what happens.

My Bluetooth will connect about 60% of the time, and when it does and I receive a phone call the entire system freezes my phone up and I have to turn it off. I currently have an iPhone 6S phone for those inquiring minds. I have visited Apple twice with my problems, thinking it was my phone, and they actually gave me a new one. Then, I reconnected to the car and it started happening again. So, it's not the phones problem. (or is it?)

I have completely reset the MMI system, removed it from my phone and reconnected it (twice actually) and it doesn't fix anything. My job requires me to drive for at least 6 hours a day, and it's illegal to hold your phone in California so if i get a ticket I'll just make sure Audi pays for it it at this point.

My question to everyone is, has anyone else experienced this issue? What has Audi done to fix the problem?

I have not visited the dealer yet, thought I'd reach out here first to see if there is a bug fix or something I can do instead. Thank you in advance for everyone's help.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

hmm. no such issue for me with iphone 6 plus or 6
Old 03-07-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by IRogue
hmm. no such issue for me with iphone 6 plus or 6
May I ask you; unrelated question but it might be another flaw or problem with my MMI....when you're connected with your iPhone to the MMI via Bluetooth, does your phone notify you with a chime if you've received a text message/email? My phone, once connected to Bluetooth, literally becomes mute. It drives me nuts because I have to constantly look at my phone to see if I've received either.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

So you want Audi to pay for your phone holding ticket, but you refused to go to the dealer and ask them to look at your issue????

Dude, blue tooth updates come often, so your Q5 may just require the latest update and only the dealer can do that........................
Old 03-07-2017, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

so my iphone 6 when paired works very well but not perfectly. Yes my phone does come through Bluetooth to notify me when I get a text. The only issue is that sometimes the directions coming through Bluetooth on the Waze app (as a phone call basically) get stuck when finished as though the call didn't hang up and so the music (also streaming Bluetooth) will not restart until I force the Waze "call" to end....the Waze issue only seems to be an issue when I am also streaming music from the phone - the handoff from music to Waze phone call is always perfect but the handback from Waze call to streaming music is not....
Old 03-07-2017, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by prncysemily
May I ask you; unrelated question but it might be another flaw or problem with my MMI....when you're connected with your iPhone to the MMI via Bluetooth, does your phone notify you with a chime if you've received a text message/email? My phone, once connected to Bluetooth, literally becomes mute. It drives me nuts because I have to constantly look at my phone to see if I've received either.
This is a different issue. There are two Bluetooth profiles that matter here. The first one is Bluetooth Handsfree, which is for phone calls primarily and the second one is Bluetooth Audio, which is for streaming music from the phone to the car's speakers. If you connect both profiles, then yes the phone goes mute, because all the chimes etc are played over the Bluetooth Audio connection and you will only here them if the MMI is in Media with Bluetooth as the current audio source. Then you hear the chimes over the car's speakers. If however your current audio source is Sirius or FM radio etc. then you won't hear the chimes. You can disconnect the Bluetooth Audio profile if you turn off the Audio player in the MMI settings, but then you also won't be able to stream any music from the phone over Bluetooth.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
This is a different issue. There are two Bluetooth profiles that matter here. The first one is Bluetooth Handsfree, which is for phone calls primarily and the second one is Bluetooth Audio, which is for streaming music from the phone to the car's speakers. If you connect both profiles, then yes the phone goes mute, because all the chimes etc are played over the Bluetooth Audio connection and you will only here them if the MMI is in Media with Bluetooth as the current audio source. Then you hear the chimes over the car's speakers. If however your current audio source is Sirius or FM radio etc. then you won't hear the chimes. You can disconnect the Bluetooth Audio profile if you turn off the Audio player in the MMI settings, but then you also won't be able to stream any music from the phone over Bluetooth.
I will also add that you can change the AirPlay settings on the phone to leave the sounds on the phone. I encountered the same issue with my Passat. I will note that it was a iOS firmware change that caused it, because originally I could have my phone paired to stream BT audio with my RNS-510, and then it suddenly went mute. Personally, I think Apple should separate the alert sounds from any BT connections.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

@Superswiss

There is absolutely no sounds coming from either my phone OR the speakers for that matter. The car does "ring" when a call is coming thru, which is done thru the speakers, however any other notifications have been completely muted.

@ACT98092
I'm up to date on all my Apple firmware and I will note again that I've actually been issued a brand new phone from Apple because we thought it was the phones problem. I was issued a 2016 Q5 as a loaner while they asses my car, and it's paired just fine! The screens visuals are obviously older, but I've had no issues so it's concluded that my phone is working just fine.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

@Superswiss

There is absolutely no sounds coming from either my phone OR the speakers for that matter. The car does "ring" when a call is coming thru, which is done thru the speakers, however any other notifications have been completely muted.

@ACT98092
I'm up to date on all my Apple firmware and I will note again that I've actually been issued a brand new phone from Apple because we thought it was the phones problem. I was issued a 2016 Q5 as a loaner while they asses my car, and it's paired just fine! The screens visuals are obviously older, but I've had no issues so it's concluded that my phone is working just fine.
I think you will find that if you have the MMI set on media, you will hear the sounds that are now missing. As I said, it's something that Apple changed a number of iOS versions ago. It used to be that the email and text alerts would sound from the phone speaker even when the phone was paired to my car. But Apple changed it to now send all audio via the BT connection. Nope, nothing wrong per se with the phone, just not the behavior we might desire.

Last edited by atc98092; 03-15-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

@Superswiss

With the MMI set to Media and Bluetooth selected as the audio source, you don't hear the sounds over the car's speakers? That's not what I'm experiencing. If I stream Pandora over Bluetooth for example and I receive a text message, the music volume lowers and I hear the notification sound for the text message. This is all done by the iPhone itself. It just routes all the audio over the Bluetooth A2DP connection, but in order to hear it, the MMI has to be set to Media and Bluetooth has to be the current audio source.

Quick Reply: 2017 Q5 MMI Bluetooth- Major Issues