Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2018 Courtesy Loaner comparison

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 Courtesy Loaner comparison

Had our 2015 TDI in for new tires and a few other items missed in the CPO inspection. Kudos to the Audi dealer for stepping up and making it right.

What we liked:

1) Very quiet
2) Better chassis in terms of ride comfort, control over rough roads
3) Awesome power out of the 2.0T. Even less lag than I remember our 2011 having.
4) Like the "feel" of the DCT tranny
5) Heated steering wheel
6) Virtual cockpit is really nice
7) Engine bay is "cleaner"/simplier
8) Parking sensors work even better
9) More room up front

What we didn't like
1) too quiet, very disengaged, not sporty, bland. So little sensation of speed and disconnect from the drivetrain that you can creep from 55 to 70 and never notice.
2) No steering feel or feedback. Our Honda CR-V was better.
3) Smaller mirrors
4) Electronic gear selector
5) MMI is ugly sticking up from the dash like it is....but that's the current "style".
6) trunk seems smaller
7) fuel tank is 1.3 gallons smaller
8) back seat is same size.
9) Only gain 1mpg despite grill shutters and aerodynamic improvements, engine tuning? Cant even hit 30mpg hwy despite super tall 7th gear?
10) 7th gear is too tall. Downshifts to 6th on slightest incline.
11) Dual clutch tranny isn't as smooth as tiptronic 8 speed.

Summary - Audi is preparing us for life after IC engines. The car is emotionless, and without much character. Could have been a Honda CR-V with their 2.0T from the Accord with better leather and seating position and I'd never know otherwise. Checks all the boxes with performance, handling, comfort features, economy. But just is missing something. I've seen this happen on Hondas and Toyotas, and BMW's I've owned. Sometimes updates are better, but many times, it's a step backwards in terms of character, size, etc.

Last edited by motoguy128; 09-11-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:13 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Audi made me a killer trade-in offer/discount on a new '18 Q5 PP several weeks ago. I thought about it for a few days. Firstly, I have not warmed up to the restyle. Yah the new Q has lots of bells and whistles. I have lived without it all my life and it would be 'nice' to have but......
I like the 38-39 mpg on the diesel and absolutely LOVE the 428 lb-ft of torque and to replace this with a 4-cyl and 282 ft-lb, no way. .02

Last edited by bpp; 09-11-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bpp
Audi made me a killer trade-in offer/discount on a new '18 Q5 PP several weeks ago. I thought about it for a few days. Firstly, I have not warmed up to the restyle. Yah the new Q has lots of bells and whistles. I have lived without it all my life and it would be 'nice' to have but......
I like the 38-39 mpg on the diesel and absolutely LOVE the 428 lb-ft of torque and to replace this with a 4-cyl and 282 ft-lb, no way. .02

2 features out "cheap" Honda CR-V had that we miss a lot was remote start and heated steering wheel. The TDI gets better mileage and is a lot faster. 2018 2.0T felt equally quick and without the lag, but it needs 3 downshifts, the TDI maybe 1 or 2.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

+1

had a 2018 Q5 2.0 loaner as well. Emotionless is a good term. The car just about put me to sleep...
Old 09-12-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I have critiqued the new Q5 in other threads, particularly the engine, which is “peppy,” but in a way that relies heavily on an initial, low rpm nudge from the turbo and then gear changes. Not to my taste. If the IC engine is dying, I’ll wait until batteries supply enough torque to render a smooth acceleration from stop.

my biggest quibble with the new model, however, is the bland exterior. I believe Audi made a huge error hiring their new designer and his idea of how the whole brand should look. The shoulder crease is terrible, and the new grille design is worse.

Has anyone noticed how nice the new Hyundai models look now that they hired Audi’s previous designer? Sporty and classy, like his Audis were. The new Audis look like BMW’s, that is, in my opinion, dull and safe, some Teutonic idea of upper class stolidity.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It's a pattern forming. The diesel scandal is slowly eating away from the brand. Audi is literally in trouble. They are having huge issues with their engines meeting the new fuel economy laws in Europe. Below is an interesting article about the future of the VW Group and Audi. Porsche is poised to take control. Audi is about to lose control over Lamborghini. Current Audi models are dull as hell, even the RS models. The only exception is the R8. RS3 and TTRS from what I've heard are on production hold and most likely have to be detuned to meet the new fuel economy requirements. I understand where the shift to electrification is coming from, but I don't like it. The future looks dull. Most consumers don't even want to buy EVs. There need to be massive incentives like in Norway to make them truly attractive to the masses. I for one have pretty much decided to skip the brand for my next car. I had a fear that the diesel scandal would spell the end of Audi as I liked it, and that's exactly what appears to be happening.

Good read:

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/p...d-lamborghini/
Old 09-12-2018, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

superswiss Sadly I think you might be right.I am so smitten by the diesel experience that I'll look elsewhere when the time comes.Dodge Ram Ecodiesel is looking pretty good.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got our TDI back. If I could have the suspension tuning and chassis stiffness of the 2018 with the steering and drivetrain including more direct engine and transmission mounts of our 2015... and heated steering wheel.. it would be perfect. Like the sport seats better and oddly like the slightly tighter front.

Over refined might be more more fair description.

New tires, it’s like a new car. Highway tracking tightened up, steering in more direct and smoother over bumps without the basketball bounce ringing sound. The dealer never should have let any car on their lot for sale like that... especially a CPO.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar experience coming from my 3.0T sLine to 2.0T loaner. I was left feeling like the 2018 is a essentially a nice Subaru Forester (one could argue "nice"). I did drive a 2018 SQ5 which seems like more of a gap in quality/feel/performance than the previous generation offered.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll bet just some firmer bushings will improve the steering and road feel without compromising the ride quality any or adding much vibration. That however wasn't the direction the product managers wanted.

Quick Reply: 2018 Courtesy Loaner comparison