Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

3.0T PVC Should i wait?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0T PVC Should i wait?

I OBDELEVEN scanned my 2015 Q5 3.0T with 100K yesterday and got a p052e00 pcv regulator valve performance code. I don't have a check engine light and it runs pretty normal to me. Should i get it fixed or wait for light to come on. Shop quote $1100 - $1300 to replace the PVC and thermostat. Only changing thermostat because the SC would have to come off. What do you think?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:51 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanjeev Ramroop
I OBDELEVEN scanned my 2015 Q5 3.0T with 100K yesterday and got a p052e00 pcv regulator valve performance code. I don't have a check engine light and it runs pretty normal to me. Should i get it fixed or wait for light to come on. Shop quote $1100 - $1300 to replace the PVC and thermostat. Only changing thermostat because the SC would have to come off. What do you think?
I had a failing water pump and they found the pcv shut-off valve error like you (no CEL) and I had them replace the thermostat (preventative) while the supercharger was off as well. They did the thermostat at a discounted labor rate since the supercharger was already off for the PCV work. Still was $500 for the thermostat work and $750 for the PCV shut-off valve work, so the quote is accurate at least.
Like you I had no drive-ability issues, and afterwards there was no difference in either performance, gas mileage or anything really. Had they not told me of the issue I would not have known. Service advisor said the PCV issue "could" affect long term fuel trim. Mine is a 2014 SQ5 with 65k miles.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
I had a failing water pump and they found the pcv shut-off valve error like you (no CEL) and I had them replace the thermostat (preventative) while the supercharger was off as well. They did the thermostat at a discounted labor rate since the supercharger was already off for the PCV work. Still was $500 for the thermostat work and $750 for the PCV shut-off valve work, so the quote is accurate at least.
Like you I had no drive-ability issues, and afterwards there was no difference in either performance, gas mileage or anything really. Had they not told me of the issue I would not have known. Service advisor said the PCV issue "could" affect long term fuel trim. Mine is a 2014 SQ5 with 65k miles.
Good info thanks. So did they replace your water pump also? If so, what did they charge to replace it?
Old 03-21-2019, 07:07 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Good info thanks. So did they replace your water pump also? If so, what did they charge to replace it?
Yep, the water pump failing/leaking was the initial reason I went in to begin with. They found the faulty PCV valve and I requested the thermostat knowing my luck that it would fail shortly and they'd have to remove the supercharger again.
Water pump work total was $800 but there was some discounts applied there too...looks like maybe a $1000 job without discount. 40% parts 60% labor

FWIW. I also had the timing chain tensioners done due to the dreaded startup rattle, but luckily they goodwilled 75% of that which would have been over $4000. Very labor intensive 10% parts 90% labor.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just brought my 2014 Q5 3.0T in for it's 105K maintenance and the same situation happened. Engine was running fine with no check engine light on, but guess an error code came up saying the PCV valve failed. They recommended to replace. The dealership quote was around $1,200 for the PCV valve only. I called other dealerships to get price quotes and one service agent advised I wait until a check engine light comes on or when I hear a whistling noise. I'm tempted to wait on getting it fixed since it's so expensive but would it cause damage to the engine in the long run?