Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

3G MMI Voice issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3G MMI Voice issue

Has anybody heard or have this issue?

Everytime i set my navi voice to the level of where i want it...the volume gradually goes down everytime i use it. In a few days I can't even hear the voice anymore.

The dealer says they updated the firmware and that everything checks out okay. Claims that they never seen any audi with this issue?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm,
the wife asked about that the other day and I just scoffed since she is technology challenged

but drove it today and the voice was all the way down....

now I know you can set each source separately but not sure...
So I went into setup and set it back higher...

What version of the nav software do you have ?
My May purchased 2011 P+ has:
software version HNav_US_P014_D1 and
Database version 8R0060884PNAR 5.4.7

Did find out today that the maps on my 2011 are at least two years old as a major 8 lane here in DFW that opened in 2009 thought I was offroad

called Audi and Navteq and no one has any map updates !
Nor would anyone say what the current version is !

Heck my $200 Garmin portable has free quarterly lifetime maps !

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 06-08-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the lastest firmware upgrade from the dealer on my navi...but the problem is still happening. Let me know if the volume goes down again for you!
this way i can show the dealer i ain't crazy!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gregshin
I have the lastest firmware upgrade from the dealer on my navi...but the problem is still happening. Let me know if the volume goes down again for you!
this way i can show the dealer i ain't crazy!
I noticed this the other day on mine as well. I could bearly hear the voice prompts through the radio so I checked the volume and it was turned just about all the way down. I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it recurs.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Happened to us again today....

the posibility existed that Momma turned it down the last time,
but this time it happened with me in the car...
working fine, volume went down, and the odd thing is, we didn't do anything and it came back up ?!?

Will be added to the 5k service list

still LOVE the car.... Only real fix I'm going to do though is a rear way bar and better tie downs for all the stuff I sling around !!!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't checked my MMI nor the vehicle manual BUT
does the MMI have a 'noise recognition' sensor?
i.e. if the outside road noise is louder or lower than a 'norm' it will raise or lower the volume?
considering the pano roof is almost as significant as a convertible and our convertible has this volume self adjustment ... maybe??

Last edited by loscoz; 06-13-2011 at 04:37 AM. Reason: can't spell for squat...
Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

good hypothesis, but nothing we could identify had changed on our drive down I-35W from the time it was fine until it went quiet again...
(am not a fan of the pano roof when the temp is 97 F and going fast so it wasn't a factor,
but the wife HAD to have it and it's her car, so...)

oh, and on edit, I suspect there is some type of speed related auto volume on the B&O like I have on other cars, but not sure...

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 06-13-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
oh, and on edit, I suspect there is some type of speed related auto volume on the B&O like I have on other cars, but not sure...
Indeed it does. Its called Gala or Gala plus or something like that. Try turning it off and see if it makes a difference

I've never had the issue on my 2011 Q5 and I have Gala on. The pano hardly contributes to any noise... unless you have it open . The heat has been surprisingly fine too. I was planning on getting the Pano tinted but doesn't seem like its needed.

JohnBoyToo.. are you talking about the new stretch of the PGB Turnpike. I hate it when it wants me to take 183W and i have to ignore it when it says exit now, exit now every 30 seconds.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Another possibility, each key controls the volume on the radio, nav, BT etc to the last setting. Maybe this would occur if two drivers were not using the same key each time they drive the car.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We have had a similar issue, only in reverse. The volume goes up! It has only happened twice in our 15k miles so far, so I've not bothered to take it in. In both cases it did seem that it was speed related, right when accelerating to 70-75. So perhaps a bug in the Gala system. That, or it was the B&O showing off

Edit: Realized the OP was talking about the MMI voice volume. In my case it was the music volume.

Quick Reply: 3G MMI Voice issue