Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

55k service and new battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 55k service and new battery

I dropped off my 2012 2.0T for the 55k service and they quoted $290. Hmm, seems a little low. Later in the day they called me to say I need to replace my failed battery. Strange, I just replaced it this month with a new OEM battery. I told them to go ahead and code the new battery. When I went to pick up the car I noticed they charged an HOUR to code the battery. They said it's 0.5 hours to install the battery and 1.0 hours to code it. My question is, was it necessary to do that or did I just waste $145 on an hour of labor? How do I verify that they even coded the new battery?

As for the 55k service, all it says is "A4 09-10 2.0 Minor Service". Is there any way to tell what they did? Kind of annoying they couldn't even get the model correct. Looking at the parts list, I can only tell they changed the oil and cabin air filter. Since they skipped the engine air filter, who knows what else they skipped such as cleaning the snow screen or the plenum panel. Looks like I will have to go and redo parts of this service myself for peace of mind, but if anyone knows what is performed during a "minor service" please tell. Audi clearly has a service schedule by year, model and engine, so I don't know why they didn't just follow the 2012 schedule for a Q5 2.0T.

Last edited by Parsec; 08-21-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I am curious as to why the battery had to be changed when it was only a month old. As for then skipping stuff on the 55K service (engine air filter) I would go back and have them finish the rest of the service they neglected to do. But my trust in the dealer is diminishing as I read your post considering they got the model/year wrong and they have your vin.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
I dropped off my 2012 2.0T for the 55k service and they quoted $290. Hmm, seems a little low. Later in the day they called me to say I need to replace my failed battery. Strange, I just replaced it this month with a new OEM battery. I told them to go ahead and code the new battery. When I went to pick up the car I noticed they charged an HOUR to code the battery. They said it's 0.5 hours to install the battery and 1.0 hours to code it. My question is, was it necessary to do that or did I just waste $145 on an hour of labor? How do I verify that they even coded the new battery?

As for the 55k service, all it says is "A4 09-10 2.0 Minor Service". Is there any way to tell what they did? Kind of annoying they couldn't even get the model correct. Looking at the parts list, I can only tell they changed the oil and cabin air filter. Since they skipped the engine air filter, who knows what else they skipped such as cleaning the snow screen or the plenum panel. Looks like I will have to go and redo parts of this service myself for peace of mind, but if anyone knows what is performed during a "minor service" please tell. Audi clearly has a service schedule by year, model and engine, so I don't know why they didn't just follow the 2012 schedule for a Q5 2.0T.
It takes me less than 5 minutes to recode a new battery replacement with a VCDS.

So to be nice, the dealer lightened your wallet unneccessarily.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Warhead
I am curious as to why the battery had to be changed when it was only a month old. As for then skipping stuff on the 55K service (engine air filter) I would go back and have them finish the rest of the service they neglected to do. But my trust in the dealer is diminishing as I read your post considering they got the model/year wrong and they have your vin.
When you replace a battery in newer Audi's, the power management system remembers the old battery data until you recode for a new battery.

Thus, the dealer didn't know that a new battery was installed, and also wasn't coded, so the data readings to him looked like a bad battery.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
When you replace a battery in newer Audi's, the power management system remembers the old battery data until you recode for a new battery.

Thus, the dealer didn't know that a new battery was installed, and also wasn't coded, so the data readings to him looked like a bad battery.
Yes, it totally slipped my mind that you had to register the battery after replacing it.

I am kind of surprised that no one picked up on the wrong model on the work order. even though they clearly where plugged into the system for the battery..
Old 08-22-2017, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec

I'd ask the dealer exactly what they did and didn't do. And I'm confused about the battery. It sounds like they were pissed they couldn't put a new battery in so they charged you big time just to setup the new battery you put in.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

move on. avoid that dealership