Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

A6 vs Q5 pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 vs Q5 pricing?

For 2014 a A6 3.0 is $10700 more than a Q5 3.0, seems like a huge difference, why?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FOUR FLUSHER
For 2014 a A6 3.0 is $10700 more than a Q5 3.0, seems like a huge difference, why?
More standard features.

MMI is standard in the A6 for example which is a 3500 dollar option.

So the Q5 is setup as a low entry, stripped of most options, to entice people.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mwaarna
More standard features.

MMI is standard in the A6 for example which is a 3500 dollar option.

So the Q5 is setup as a low entry, stripped of most options, to entice people.
Yep, the A6 is in a totally different class. The Q5 is down with the A4/A5 (based on the same platform and sharing various parts -- may not quite be a B8, but it's very close). The A6/A7 is a tier up (in size and features) and geared for a different market. The A8's yet another tier up. Technologies trickle down from the top, and so the A6 has all sorts of things that we don't get (and won't until they're more "industry-standard").
Old 06-14-2013, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default More to the O.P.'s original sentiments though...

Having owned many generations of the C (A6) body, the Q5 is sized inside much more like an A6 than it is like an A4 or 5, particularly in the back seat. Having gotten in each of those yet again at the dealer a few weeks ago, the A4/A5 still is substandard back there for adults. Even the A6 isn't the roomiest of fits leg room wise, but it is more like the Q5 back there. Against my 2000 A6 ( a C5) the Q5 is very comparable in the interior spec'ed dimensions. Before buying the Q5, I already noted this mentally and pulled out the old 2000 A6 specs and brochures I still had to confirm it. Being in a 2013 S6 on the showroom floor, it still netted to basically the same as my C5 when I got in back--both leg room and head room; maybe even a bit tighter headroom wise C7 to C5.

Thus, if you look functionally in terms of space, motors, etc and you up option the Q5, it arguably is a good "arbitrage" play against other Audi model line pricing. The A6 finally joined the modern MLB platform design family with the newest C7 design in the past couple of years too, while the Q5 already started from there as a take off to the B8 A4 and A5 family. The C6 and its take off point for the still surviving Q7 was stuck on an older model specific pre-MLB design.

This isn't to say anything against the current C7 A6 either. Its a very up to date design now, and from the A8 perspective (owning a D3), arguably that C7 is both the better value and package than the current D4 A8. The D4 A8, while sophisticated didn't really plow any new ground styling wise but instead ended up looking like a ginormous A4, rather than the flagship model it should be. A6/S6 can also get to the same underpinnings and most features as the A7/S7, but it isn't priced with the A7's further extra premium when put side by side.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-14-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you were looking to compare the Q5 to an Audi sedan, wouldn't it be the A4? Those are the same underpinnings. The A6 is a larger chassis, from the Q. Perhaps, when they redo the Q7, it will be based on the 6?
Old 06-14-2013, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Take an allroad, lift it up slightly, push the rear bench back 2", and you've pretty much got a Q5. It's got more room in the back seat, but only because the seat itself is a little farther back, not because it's a larger vehicle.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default I know people keep saying this, but...; also backwards on Q7

the Q5 floorpan is stretched over the A4 and 5. Just get in the back set of them and you will see.

With the current Audi MLB platform design, the general concept of "floorpan" is now much more freeform than it once was. It really doesn't regulate things that read on or lock together stuff like interior room now--it's more about engine mounting points, firewall location, front suspension and pedal placement.

Here's a paste of the first part of a reasonable Wikipedia summary ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_MLB_platform )
The Volkswagen Group MLB platform is the company's platform strategy, announced in 2012, for shared modular construction of its longitudinal, front-engined, front-wheel drive automobiles. Volkswagen Group markets the strategy under the code name MLB, which stands for Modularer Längsbaukasten, translating from German to "Modular Longitudinal Matrix".[1][2] MLB is one strategy within VW's overall MB (Modulare Baukasten or modular matrix) program which also includes the similar MQB strategy for its vehicles with transverse engine orientation.[3]

While a model may be said to use an MLB platform, it is not so much a platforms per se, but rather a system for introducing rationality across disparate platforms that share engine orientation — regardless of model, vehicle size or brand. Thus, MLB uses a core "matrix" of components across a wide variety of platforms — for example, sharing a common engine-mounting core for all drivetrains (e.g., gasoline, diesel, natural gas, hybrid and purely electric). The only things that are non-variable are the pedal box, firewall, and front wheel placement, as well as the windscreen angle; other than this, the vehicle can be stretched and shaped to fit any body style, size range, or drivetrain required. As well as reducing weight, the concept allows diverse models, including those from the company's various brands, to be manufactured at the same plant,[4] further saving cost.[3] Ulrich Hackenberg, chief of Volkswagen’s Research and Development, called MB a "strategic weapon."[3]
On the Q7, it came from the now defunct last generation C6 A6. That C6 was pre-MLB, and in general pre-MLB Audi's are prone to various packaging inefficiencies. The Q7 was also further modified for the third rear seat squeeze in relative to the Touareg and Cayenne. All are long in the tooth (the Audi especially which remains less "refreshed" by the others). Next gen Q7 is expected to be MLB and due in the next year more or less; given MLB as described above it no longer matters so much that it's roots would be C7 or otherwise. It is expected to go on a huge weight reduction diet, maybe 6-800 pounds. Insidious heavy SUV tax advantages are scheduled to finally die this year too, which should put another stake in this heavy SUV porker group in general. That's a start weight wise, but frankly 12-1500 pounds off there (and many hundreds off the Q5 for that matter) would be yet better. But light weight really doesn't sell SUV's or other vehicles, except indirectly on the fuel economy; lots of creature comfort and general bulky "look" of SUV designs cut the other way.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-14-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting, info, if not a little overly complicated. I will say that the Q5 (which seems like it should be larger) is a good foot shorter than our not very large G37. It becomes extremely apparent when they swap places in the garage. The Q5 leaves way more room front and rear. Although, it's a little wider.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just switched over from a 2012 Q5 2.0T to a 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige a month ago. I wanted something a little more sporty and with more power; I have a lead foot.
If you opt for the A6 2.0T, the price difference between the Q5 and A6 is not that huge. Then you have the Premium and the Premium Plus, which bumps up the price a few thousand more. If you opt for the 3.0T, you have two choices: Premium Plus and Prestige. The Prestige model has the S-line appearance along with other options you can choose from that you could not otherwise with the Premium Plus. The price pretty much sky rockets from there. For example, if you opt for the B&O stereo, it's $6,000; totally ridiculous IMO. The Q5 and the A6 are apples to oranges when it comes to standard equipment, options, and performance for obvious reasons.
As for the interior, I was very happy with the Q5. The Q5 fits 5 people comfortably but with the A6, the big hump in the center is a show stopper for the 5th person, atleast on longer hauls. The rear seat leg room in the A6 is comparable to that of the Q5...comfortable. I would not drive my A6 in the snow due to it's low clearance and low profile tires; I've got the 20" sports package. Driving the A6 is a pure enjoyment. The Q5 is way more versatile than the A6 but I live in SoCal so it's really not an issue. I love my new toy but I do miss the Q5 sometimes because I like sitting up higher. However, I can fix that bug by driving my wife's SUV. Both are awesome vehicles with a different purpose. Either way, you can't go wrong!

Last edited by luv2sleep; 06-14-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dougnash
Interesting, info, if not a little overly complicated. I will say that the Q5 (which seems like it should be larger) is a good foot shorter than our not very large G37. It becomes extremely apparent when they swap places in the garage. The Q5 leaves way more room front and rear. Although, it's a little wider.
20" shorter than my Odyssey... it'll be nice to get that extra space in the garage. The Q5 is also 3.3" shorter than the A4 allroad, and 1.7" shorter than my old Passat Wagon, not it's not a huge car. But then again, neither is the Golf and it's always been a very efficient use of space (large on the inside, small on the outside).

But looking at the specs for the G37, it looks like the Q5 is only about 0.5" shorter than the coupe and about 4.4" shorter than the sedan. Odd that that doesn't seem to reflect reality for you.

Quick Reply: A6 vs Q5 pricing?