Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Adding S-Line Package to Used Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding S-Line Package to Used Car

Hello All,

I have been lurking for a few months now and the advice/information given on here is amazing. I am in the market for a used Q5. We want an ibis white with full s-line package.

During my search, it seems there are not very many Q5's available used with the s-line package. (some exterior only) Has anyone heard or tried to add the S-line package from the dealership when buying used? I know it was a $1500 option from the factory when new, and assume it'll be more expensive on a used car. However, would it be any cheaper than going and adding each piece seperate for $5k+

Everyone could have made it easier on me and ordered the s-line package from the start so there would be more on the market

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

S-Line package contents are:

- 20" 5-segment-spoke-design with 255/45 summer performance tires*
- S line doorsill trims in the door cutouts
- Headliner, black cloth
- Brushed Aluminum Beltline Trim
- Leather-covered multifunction sports steering wheel, 3-spoke, with gearshift function
- Emblem S line
- R20 255/45 summer performance tires

Door Runners - $185 (http://www.bks-tuning.com/)
S-line steering wheel w/shift paddles + 3-spoke airbag - ~$2000 (http://www.europrice.com/)
You can stick with the 4-spoke steering airbag and just get the wheel + paddles for ~$900.

If you want the 20" wheels, I would imagine you could find some used ones from people that have upgraded their wheels, but you are probably better off just finding wheels / tires that you like.

The other S-Line options are the headliner -- that'll be a tough swap, but if you get a car with cinnamon seats, it will already come with the black headliner.

The S-Line emblem for the back will probably be pretty cheap and you should be able to find that easily -- or even cheaper if you get one from someone that debadged their sled.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It looks like http://www.bks-tuning.com/ also has the badges for the grill and the back for $18 and $23.90 respectively.

http://www.bks-tuning.com/epages/171..._BagdesEmblems
Old 05-05-2012, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently adding a complete s-line OEM pkg to my 2.0, minus the aluminum interior trim, only because the walnut matches the cinnamon interior better.

It's actually a rather large undertaking. I'll have a little over $8,000 in it once I'm done. I'm going to try and sell off the all the parts coming off of the car, minus the wheels, which I'm going to use for winter M+S tires.

Just be willing to put some cash into it. A couple of things I've found are you just can't buy a couple of new bumpers and toss them on the car. The mounting brackets/plates are different, all the fender liners are different, the rear parking sensors are different,etc. It all adds up. I am putting a full exterior and interior in mine tho, but expect to be into more money than you think.

Go for it tho. I can't wait till mine is done, but it will prob be summer before I spend my second $4K to finish it off.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
I'm currently adding a complete s-line OEM pkg to my 2.0, minus the aluminum interior trim, only because the walnut matches the cinnamon interior better.

It's actually a rather large undertaking. I'll have a little over $8,000 in it once I'm done. I'm going to try and sell off the all the parts coming off of the car, minus the wheels, which I'm going to use for winter M+S tires.

Just be willing to put some cash into it. A couple of things I've found are you just can't buy a couple of new bumpers and toss them on the car. The mounting brackets/plates are different, all the fender liners are different, the rear parking sensors are different,etc. It all adds up. I am putting a full exterior and interior in mine tho, but expect to be into more money than you think.

Go for it tho. I can't wait till mine is done, but it will prob be summer before I spend my second $4K to finish it off.

Good luck.
ThunderDent, I've been waiting for pics of your car

But yes, the conversion will be pricey... comparable to going with a full aftermarket body kit.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah Frost, I looked at the kits out there. Decided to bite the bullet and do S-line tho. Plus, with it being factory, if I get into fender bender etc, it can be fixed and not require me to repay for additional body kit.

I'd hoped to have mine done by now, but I promised my wife I'd wait until she starts her new job in July. I have all the items sitting in my cart from Genuine in San Diego. Bill has been mega helpful. I actually have 4 pages of part numbers etc on paper so they'll be available in case of damage.

All thats left to buy are door/fender skirts, wheel well liners, rear parking sensors, S-line+ Titanium wheels, plus new tires and accesories for wheels. That's $4K right there at discount pricing. Then I'll get bumpers and side skirts painted and installed, get the car detailed out and hopefully have pics up before summers end.

Don't worry, they're coming! If it can look anywhere close to your ride I'll be happy!!

Last edited by ThunderDent; 05-05-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bigjohn1022
Hello All,

I have been lurking for a few months now and the advice/information given on here is amazing. I am in the market for a used Q5. We want an ibis white with full s-line package.

During my search, it seems there are not very many Q5's available used with the s-line package. (some exterior only) Has anyone heard or tried to add the S-line package from the dealership when buying used? I know it was a $1500 option from the factory when new, and assume it'll be more expensive on a used car. However, would it be any cheaper than going and adding each piece seperate for $5k+

Everyone could have made it easier on me and ordered the s-line package from the start so there would be more on the market

Thanks in advance!
Could always just order a new one exactly the way you want it. $8,000 and alot of wok just do not seem worth it to me.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by doobs41378
Could always just order a new one exactly the way you want it. $8,000 and alot of wok just do not seem worth it to me.
Yeah, I don't understand - $8000 v $1500. Plus all the work.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I know, but honestly, when I started i didn't know that all the extra items wouldnt fit it, so it kept adding up. Plus I recently decided to add the wheels. I'm already halfway in. Just have to finish.

If they'd have made the 2.0T in an S-line in the first place, I wouldn't have this problem.

I 've taken 2 long trips over the past 2 weekends and averaged about 32 mpg.

Plus, even if I ordered a brand new 3.0 S/C S-line (my wife would kill me for starters, I just bought this one 11months ago), I'd still be swapping the flat-bottom steering wheel, shifter, etc on it which isn't cheap either. And when you add the starting cost of the bigger engine it comes out in the wash, I think.

I plan in keeping my car for long time so I dont care to finish it to make it like I want it.

Last edited by ThunderDent; 05-06-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hopefully this thread will give the OP some info on whether or not he wants to undertake this conversion.

I'm going to build these out and see the difference in the 2012's.
I actually haven't done this before, as I just started doing mine, and got caught up in (well, I didn't know I needed this so there is something else to buy now) kind of thing.

My 2.0T was built out at 45K, and I purchased for $44K at the dealer.
I will be adding $8K worth of mods, so now I'm at $52K ...
(and we'll not mention that the additional $8K, plus an original $4K down on the car was not financed, just straight cash ...homey...)

This will get my car exactly the way I want it. Plus, I will have an extra set of 19" rims to keep winter M+S tires on for the winter months that I won't be running the S-line+ 20's (these would cost $1800 or so new/genuine audi estimate). And I'll be able (hopefully to sell the front & rear bumpers, side skirts, fender liners, 4 spoke steering wheel, airbag and shifter/leather boot on eBay. So let's conservatively say I get $2-3K back on used products .

So the 2.0T modded will be $44K (original purchase)+ $8K mods - $2 to 3K in used sales, that puts me at $49-50K, plus I have an extra set of winter rims out of the deal worth about $1,800. And I have the 2.0T with better gas milage out of the deal. I did NOT want the 3.2L, although the 3.0 S/C (if I had known they were going to come out with it I might have gotten).
-----------
The 3.2L built on-line (same exact specs PP, B&O, side air bags, etc. as my exact car) and adding the S-Line & S-Line plus pkg to the car comes in at a little over $50K. I'm not sure how much wriggle room you'll get on pricing when you are ordering the exact car you want, when there are not very many S-Line+ cars out there). Then add in the cost of modding the flat-bottom steering wheel and shifter/boot and that brings it up an additional $2K. That puts it at $52K. This does not include an extra set of winter rims, so let's purchase those too ($1,800) and that brings our grand total to almost $54K for the S-Line Plus built 3.2L with worse gas milage , but less hassle in having things fitted and only hassle of selling the used items (steering wheel/airbag & shifter/boot) on eBay. (conservative estimate $800)
----

So...

2.0T modded to S-line ($49-50K) incl. extra set of 19" winter rims
and some extra work on my part

3.2L S-line plus modded with just steering wheel and shifter ($54K) incl. extra set of 19" winter rims. -($800 selling used items on eBay), puts you at about $53K.

Hope this helps you make your decision on whether or not to undertake this. Frost can tell you better on the Caractere body kit (made for fitment on the 2.0T), but I think it comes in at a little over $6K. Does not include wheels.

Last edited by ThunderDent; 05-06-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Adding S-Line Package to Used Car