Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Air conditioner bar graph in center display

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crap...now I have to go out to the garage and check since I have never seen this.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2012 2.0. That graph will supposedly show consumption with not only AC usage but also accessory usage. Try turning the seat heaters and fog lights on and off. The bar will move. Also open and close the glass roof while driving at freeway speeds...It will also move and tell you to shut the roof to cut down on air resistance. I'm not too sure about accuracy but it does make folks aware that use of accessories effects gas mileage.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think "A/C" is used in a very liberal form here because even when air is not being cooled (i.e. the compressor is not running), it's showing the amount of fuel/hr being used to generate the electricity to power the fan pushing warm/cool air around.

Turn the A/C button off, vary fan speed manually, and you'll see what I mean. If you crank the fan to 11, the fuel use goes up a very surprising amount.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think only cars with MMI have this function.

I believe the AC compressor may be on more than we think even if the AC button is off. In the case of defog and other instances. I've often wondered why it always says AC even when it's off too.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
I think "A/C" is used in a very liberal form here because even when air is not being cooled (i.e. the compressor is not running), it's showing the amount of fuel/hr being used to generate the electricity to power the fan pushing warm/cool air around.

Turn the A/C button off, vary fan speed manually, and you'll see what I mean. If you crank the fan to 11, the fuel use goes up a very surprising amount.

You are correct about this...it's very subtle and most won't notice.

I checked my A4 this afternoon and varying the fan speed from 0 up to 12 definitely moves the bar chart to the right. A/C compressor was off.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
I think only cars with MMI have this function.

I believe the AC compressor may be on more than we think even if the AC button is off. In the case of defog and other instances. I've often wondered why it always says AC even when it's off too.
So since Barraged pointed this out, I've been toggling through the driver display options. Regarding the AC graph, with automatic climate control, I'm also assuming that even if I haven't manually pressed the AC button (so the red light is lit), the AC might still be in use at times as the automatic climate control does its thing to regulate the temperature?
Old 04-04-2015, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by metta
I'm also assuming that even if I haven't manually pressed the AC button (so the red light is lit), the AC might still be in use at times as the automatic climate control does its thing to regulate the temperature?
Nope. If the AC button is off, the compressor is supposed to be off, other than maybe if you hit the front window defrost will will automatically turn the AC compressor on.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Just to reclarify, it's not an "A/C" graph but an energy efficiency graph that besides A/C, can display other activated energy consumer functions i.e. heated steering wheel, heated seats, rear defogger that can affect fuel mileage.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Audi puts "Air Conditioning" on this graph when just the blower is on. Turn the blower off and you'll see it disappear (and on the TT the idle drops further). And yes, the blower is one of the biggest motors in the car, it can use a lot of power turned all the way up. I'm very happy they included this readout, people seemed mind-blown when I tell them that having their AC on for no reason when it's 60 degrees out actually uses gas...
Old 03-09-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

crazy, got my car back from the dealer ship yesterday (13 Q7 TDI) and someone put this function on... couldn't figure out how to get back to my old format. This is great. thanks

Quick Reply: Air conditioner bar graph in center display