Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Any tips from existing Q5 DIY'ers on jack points, pads and otherwise

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
didn't know we could use the hitch as a rear jacking point! good to know.
It's not something you would normally think of, but when you consider its purpose (to haul a 5000 lb trailer) then it would be safe to assume it can take the weight of the car itself too. Just be sure to jack it on the strong part of the hitch assembly preferably near one of the welds - NOT where the receiver tube is.

Last edited by Parsec; 11-27-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:00 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Great thread! Have been searching the web for this as well so I could start doing my own oil changes via the gravity drain method.

I'm a little uncomfortable about crawling around underneath without jackstand supports though so was looking for some way to use those as well. But there's a catch 22 - seems like the only reliable suspension point for a jackstand would be the same spot where the jack is used - on the pinch weld...
Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rez
Great thread! Have been searching the web for this as well so I could start doing my own oil changes via the gravity drain method.

I'm a little uncomfortable about crawling around underneath without jackstand supports though so was looking for some way to use those as well. But there's a catch 22 - seems like the only reliable suspension point for a jackstand would be the same spot where the jack is used - on the pinch weld...
Just buy Rhino Ramps for doing oil changes. Much simpler and no reason to worry about jack stands, pinch welds, proper support, etc.

However, on this topic, I'll note that on my S4 I was able to fit the jack and jackstand like this:

However later on I found it just easier to jack it really high in the rear and put the jackstand under the front, using proper locations for each.

If you really want to get crazy, you can get these Jackpoint (http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/) jack stands designed to fit the jack inside the jackstand for using a single specific jack point:

Old 11-28-2013, 06:20 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I've been using hockey pucks as well, for years.. They are great as jack pads. The "pinch weld" is the ideal place for lifting with a floor jack.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
I've been using hockey pucks as well, for years.. They are great as jack pads. The "pinch weld" is the ideal place for lifting with a floor jack.
BTW, I can't tell you how hard it is to find an (ice) hockey puck in North Carolina. I thought for sure Dick's Sporting Goods would have it, but nope! I think they said "oh a hockey ball" or something like that I ended up finding one somewhere, but it escapes me now. I never considered it would be hard to find down here.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Thanks; lots of good info and options here

Lots of good info and product ideas in here.

Yes, from one of the replies, just using ramps (which I have) makes sense here for the oil change type stuff. For seasonal tire changes or (eventually) the brakes, I'll have to jack up corners.

And yes, from another reply I definitely use (2") hitches as a central jack point in the rear; sturdy, well bolted in, etc. And if I ever had an issue with strength somehow I would way rather find it out in the garage than during sudden hard braking or acceleration forces pulling my boat; steel is really just too robust for that though. I've been doing the same for years on the 2" hitches on the preceding minivans. The Q5 distance from the hitch to ground is greater than minivan sort of scenarios, but at least with my decent sized floor jack, the Q5 is still gets an inch plus off the ground at the bottom of the tires w/ the shock/spring fully extended. Using a jack point like that typically gives me more options for jackstand placement too.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:42 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
Just buy Rhino Ramps for doing oil changes. Much simpler and no reason to worry about jack stands, pinch welds, proper support, etc.

on this topic, I'll note that on my S4 I was able to fit the jack and jackstand like this:

later on I found it just easier to jack it really high in the rear and put the jackstand under the front, using proper locations for each.

If you really want to get crazy, you can get these Jackpoint (http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/) jack stands designed to fit the jack inside the jackstand for using a single specific jack point:
Thanks Mark! That's perfect! Tech Guru evidently well earned!

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends!

Last edited by rez; 11-28-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

While I love the idea, I'm concerned that these Jackpoint jackstands aren't high enough for the Q to fully service the wheels/tires though.

Does anyone have experience with them directly for the Q?
Old 06-27-2014, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jazzy
Anyone?
You do need to get a fairly high jackstand. I use the Esco Jack stands with the flat rubber tops and a AC floor jack. I had the Q5 up on all 4 jackpoints to do a wheel change as well as brake fluid flush. Rear I jacked up from the diff mount, front I believe it was the cross member. You do need a long reach jack to make it easy.

Quick Reply: Any tips from existing Q5 DIY'ers on jack points, pads and otherwise