Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Connect Carrier Plan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Audi Connect Carrier Plan?

I'm sure this has been discussed quite a bit, but I'm wondering if anyone has found an alternative to paying for an OE Audi SIM card and plan for Audi Connect? I was hoping on paying not more than $10/month. I don't have a cell phone plan I can add the service too, even if that was an option. I have a 14' Q5, and I believe it (the MMI) allows for 3G speeds. It was T Mobile who originally had the contract for Audi Connect for my model year.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonlightblue
I'm sure this has been discussed quite a bit, but I'm wondering if anyone has found an alternative to paying for an OE Audi SIM card and plan for Audi Connect? I was hoping on paying not more than $10/month. I don't have a cell phone plan I can add the service too, even if that was an option. I have a 14' Q5, and I believe it (the MMI) allows for 3G speeds. It was T Mobile who originally had the contract for Audi Connect for my model year.
I swapped my TMO SIM out for a Freedom Pop one. Only using the free 200mg tier. Like you said, it’s been discussed and you can do a quick google search on it.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

I swapped my TMO SIM out for a Freedom Pop one. Only using the free 200mg tier. Like you said, it’s been discussed and you can do a quick google search on it.
So I'm doing the Freedom Pop thing, and I downgraded to the Free Plan as advised, and not only did I have to pay a $20 "deposit," but in the Billing section, it indicates that I'm going be charged $2.12 per month. That's not exactly free.. Or am I doing something wrong? It says I'm on the "Basic 200 Semi-Annual" plan..
Old 03-17-2019, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I'm doing the Freedom Pop thing, and I downgraded to the Free Plan as advised, and not only did I have to pay a $20 "deposit," but in the Billing section, it indicates that I'm going be charged $2.12 per month. That's not exactly free.. Or am I doing something wrong? It says I'm on the "Basic 200 Semi-Annual" plan..
Did you unsubscribe from every single thing possible? From what I recall, there were a ton of “extras” that were free, for a trial period. I was able to unsubscribe from everything. I do have a $20 top-off that expires monthly, but I can re-activate it (PITA) and I get charged $.01 a month. FP says they do that to ensure they can charge your CC, if you run out of credit.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you unsubscribe from every single thing possible? From what I recall, there were a ton of “extras” that were free, for a trial period. I was able to unsubscribe from everything. I do have a $20 top-off that expires monthly, but I can re-activate it (PITA) and I get charged $.01 a month. FP says they do that to ensure they can charge your CC, if you run out of credit.
Yes, after downgrading to the free plan, I combed the entire site several times just to make sure that I didn't leave on any setting that would lead to an additional charge. Just so I'm clear, it's typical then that I have to pay the $20 deposit, and that's a one time fee (just in case of future overage), and you're not paying more than a cent after that per month?
Old 03-17-2019, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, after downgrading to the free plan, I combed the entire site several times just to make sure that I didn't leave on any setting that would lead to an additional charge. Just so I'm clear, it's typical then that I have to pay the $20 deposit, and that's a one time fee (just in case of future overage), and you're not paying more than a cent after that per month?
The $2.12/mon could very well be some kind of state regulatory fee. I'm in CA and the regulatory fees could be different in your state. I'd consider paying it, as long as it's not going to keep charging me the $20 top off fee every month. Gee there's a lot of fine print on there! It looks like you have to use it at least once a month to avoid losing your $20 and incurring a new top off fee, and not go over the 200mb..

Last edited by Moonlightblue; 03-17-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep - so far. Nav does eat through data quickly though, so you’ll want to be pretty careful about monitoring usage, otherwise it’ll cost you a pretty penny.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep - so far. Nav does eat through data quickly though, so you’ll want to be pretty careful about monitoring usage, otherwise it’ll cost you a pretty penny.
"Navigation" in and of itself shouldn't use any data at all. Navigation is not a service that incurs a fee. You must've meant, "Audi Connect"?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

"Navigation" in and of itself shouldn't use any data at all. Navigation is not a service that incurs a fee. You must've meant, "Audi Connect"?
google earth overlay / google location search
Old 03-17-2019, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

google earth overlay / google location search
oh, I never use those. Never at all. I never have my nav set on Google Earth (only the standard map mode) and I never use Google Location Search either. So, I'm not going to use up any of the data, correct?

Quick Reply: Audi Connect Carrier Plan?