Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Connect - Past the 6 months (yes or no)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
How do you get this pricing?

My dealer told me it's $30/month.
It's from T-Mobile (US) you can buy the 30 months up front for $450. Dealer's can't sell that portion (AFAIK)
Old 10-29-2014, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How do you get this pricing?

My dealer told me it's $30/month.
Your dealer has old (or incomplete) data. Originally, there was a 30-month extension you could get within the first week(!) of ownership for $450 ($15/mo divided out). More recently that's been promoted to a normal plan, so you now have the option of $30/mo or buying 30 months for $450 (prepaid lump sum). You can choose either on the subscription site when you go to renew after your trial is up (or anytime you need to make a payment).
Old 10-29-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Still kind of expensive for what it is, if not used much. Might have to look into that Truphone option.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. Still kind of expensive for what it is, if not used much. Might have to look into that Truphone option.
Yeah, if you don't use it much (don't use the Google Earth overlay all the time or get a lot of POI searches), then looking at a third-party prepaid SIM could be useful since you get more on-demand capability. It's worked well for a number of people, at least, and if you really don't do much with the system then it could be pretty cheap to run.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi all,

Having WiFI issues with a '15 Q5 I picked up two weeks ago. When streaming music, it constantly cuts in and out. I tried removing the SIM and reinserting it, removing OptimumWifi from my WiFi list, turning WiFi on and off, restarting my music apps, etc. Nothing seems to work. WiFi and 3G show full strength on the screen and T-Mobile's site shows I have very strong connection in my area. It's so unbearable that I either use my cell data or listen to the radio (which sucks even with B&O). Could this just be an issue with service or could it be an issue with the router? Have people been switching to other carriers for this reason or just for cost savings? I plan on bringing the car back to the dealer to have them take a look.

thanks
Old 10-29-2014, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about real-time traffic? Does that use up a lot of data? Or is that delivered over the Sirius/XM subscription?
Old 10-29-2014, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Traffic comes from Sirius not via 3G, I believe 4 years are included with the initial purchase, it is separate from the radio subscription.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

True/false: Send to car won't work without an Audi Connect subscription?

It think it's true, which bites -- it's the one AC feature I care about but I can justify $15 a month to use it once or twice. Seems like Audi is chasing the small money here with whatever incentives they get back for TMO renewals.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by big residual
True/false: Send to car won't work without an Audi Connect subscription?

It think it's true, which bites -- it's the one AC feature I care about but I can justify $15 a month to use it once or twice. Seems like Audi is chasing the small money here with whatever incentives they get back for TMO renewals.
Never you mind. I did this thing called reading and answered my own question.

AC should work fine with a TruSIM. Now I'm struggling to understand why I would pay for TMO.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by big residual
Never you mind. I did this thing called reading and answered my own question.

AC should work fine with a TruSIM. Now I'm struggling to understand why I would pay for TMO.
I had to make this decision recently as well.... To renew or not to renew?..... Well, I renewed and it had mainly to do with the hotspot feature...After breaking down 1Gb prepaid solutions and comparing the price to T-Mobile's Unlimited, I just couldn't justify paying anything remotely close to T-Mobile's 30 month pricing for a limited amount of data vs having no restrictions....sure, I have a healthy monthly allowance via my smartphone's data carrier, which also has a hotspot, but from time to time I like to use other devices in my Q5 and not worry about it affecting my phone's data....I also love Google's 3D mapping, and Audi has updated its iOS 8 app, which has made me utilize it more than before......it's definitely a personal choice, but having not to worry about yet another data cap makes life easier, especially if you drive somewhere on a trip, for work, or in an emergency.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect - Past the 6 months (yes or no)