Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Drive Select (ADS) retrofit on Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Drive Select (ADS) retrofit on Q5?

I'm curious if anyone has done the coding via VAG-COM and purchased the ADS buttons to enable drive select? If so, what did you do to wire the buttons?

Info here:
http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Project_ADS.html
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-VAG-COM-codes
Old 10-08-2012, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I tried this, but the options that came up weren't like the ones on the tutorial. I have a mid-late MY2011 S-line and it wasn't very straight forward. Only one I saw was "magnetic ride suspension" or something like that but no other options to enable in the MMI
Old 10-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
I tried this, but the options that came up weren't like the ones on the tutorial. I have a mid-late MY2011 S-line and it wasn't very straight forward. Only one I saw was "magnetic ride suspension" or something like that but no other options to enable in the MMI
That's strange.

I found some more info here specific to the Q5:
http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/to...-drive-select/
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
Which version you have vag-com

Last edited by spijun; 10-08-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enabled the steering wheel tightness and gearbox in the MMI thru the VCDS no problems. Both work. I believe there is a checkbox in there for the magnetic ride suspension, if you have that or retrofit it. Not sure if it shows up or not as I haven't done that.

If you have MMI 3G you don't need the buttons tho.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are the shocks actually different for cars that came with ADS?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdeg
Yes, I believe they are different. You could activate that in the VCDS and it wouldn't do anything.

Not sure if the ADS suspension is different than the sport suspension or not, but I know it's different than the regular suspension.

That's why I'm going Coilovers
Old 10-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Yes, I believe they are different. You could activate that in the VCDS and it wouldn't do anything.

Not sure if the ADS suspension is different than the sport suspension or not, but I know it's different than the regular suspension.

That's why I'm going Coilovers
Ah yes, looks like they are all different:
http://www.audiusaparts.com/parts/20...omponent=Shock

Getting coilovers to lower the car is a little different though
Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by jdeg
Yes have a totally different shock absorber

Audi drive select
Mastery of driving dynamics: Audi drive select integrates the technical components that determine the quality of the driving experience – the engine, transmission, steering (optional), shock absorbers (optional) and the sport differential (optional). Drivers can adjust the characteristics of these systems at any time to suit their personal preferences.

A custom-tuned vehicle: the innovative driving dynamics system Audi drive select enables drivers to adjust the characteristics of the technical components – depending on their individual vehicle configuration these include the engine, transmission, steering, shock absorbers and the sport differential – to suit their personal preferences at any time. The result is the successful synthesis of outstanding comfort and sporty dynamics.

Via a button on the centre console, the driver selects one of three modes for Audi drive select – comfort, auto or dynamic – for characteristics ranging from outstandingly comfortable to intensely sporty. In combination with the optional MMI, you can put together your very own personal profile. You adapt the characteristics of the systems linked to Audi drive select to suit your individual preferences.

Audi drive select is only available in conjunction with dynamic steering, damper control and/or sport differential.

Suspension with damper regulation
Damping control resolves the classic conflict between sporty and dynamic suspension tuning, and is especially effective in an SUV with a high centre of gravity and long spring travel.
The damping control function, only available in conjunction with Audi drive select, allows the driver to choose between the modes dynamic, comfort and auto to adapt the vehicle's characteristics according to personal preferences and to suit the type of road and the adopted driving style. The system detects poor road surfaces, bends, the vehicle’s payload and movements of the body, as well as changes in braking and acceleration. These measurements are used to compute the suitable damper current and the damping characteristic is continuously adjusted to the new measuring data.
On the basis of the standard dynamic suspension with electronically controlled adaptation to different driving situations; dynamic or comfort-oriented characteristic of the damper coordination can be dapted over Audi drive select.

Dynamic steering
when changing lanes, parking and cornering, this system improves comfort and handling by dynamically regulating steering according to the driving situation. In addition to adaptation of the steering effort (as with servotronic), the steering angle is also adapted (steering ratio). The system is also supported further by vehicle stabilisation through ESP.
Can only be ordered in conjunction with Audi drive select.

Last edited by spijun; 10-08-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Which version you have vag-com
No idea. Just borrow a computer and cable at the monthly meets. Didn't think it mattered

Quick Reply: Audi Drive Select (ADS) retrofit on Q5?