Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi fan

Hello all,
I've been a longtime fan of all things Audi. They are sexy machines and handle very well. I never bought one because I've heard negative comments about German cars. I currently own a 2016 Toyota Highlander that I bought for the purpose of transporting my kids and their friends as well as to tow a travel trailer. I work for Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada so I got a great deal on this boring appliance. It has been super reliable but, ... boring to drive. Well, 3 years have passed and we sold the travel trailer and I don't need 8 seats anymore. Every time I see an A4 or Q5 I almost drool.

I think I'm ready to buy a 2015 or '16 Q5 2.0T, but would like to ask you guys about what to watch for. Are there any oil consumption or turbo issues? Transmission trouble? Electrical? Please help me make the right choice.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The oil consumption issue was addressed well before 2015. There don’t seem to be any recurring problems in the vehicle model years you are looking at. You might consider a 3.0 engine, though, either the gasser or the turbo.

Other than that your choices may come down to size of wheels, trims, etc. Do your research to make sure the car you are focused on has a good history.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

When you say "boring" be aware that the Q5 is what is sometimes called a "Burgermeister's car". The sport model would be the SQ5, but that's still a CUV and hardly sporty to drive compared to, well, a sports car or a typical 2+2.
Yes there can be very expensive repair issues, I think Toyota has always been known as more reliable and less expensive to repair. Some of the features and logic that Audi use vary from year to year and model to model, so make sure to take a good look at the car you think you want, before you own it. The A4 and the Q5 will be very different driving experiences.
Your local library might have a reference copy of the Consumer Reports annual auto issue, which will speak to reliability and problem areas on each model.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ICEfan
Hello all,
I've been a longtime fan of all things Audi. They are sexy machines and handle very well. I never bought one because I've heard negative comments about German cars. I currently own a 2016 Toyota Highlander that I bought for the purpose of transporting my kids and their friends as well as to tow a travel trailer. I work for Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada so I got a great deal on this boring appliance. It has been super reliable but, ... boring to drive. Well, 3 years have passed and we sold the travel trailer and I don't need 8 seats anymore. Every time I see an A4 or Q5 I almost drool.

I think I'm ready to buy a 2015 or '16 Q5 2.0T, but would like to ask you guys about what to watch for. Are there any oil consumption or turbo issues? Transmission trouble? Electrical? Please help me make the right choice.
About a year ago I bought a 2016 Q5 2.0 prem + with 22k mi. Have put 7k mi on it with NO problems. No oil usage--even on a 1700 mi trip running 70-80 mph all trip. 2.0 engine had all the power I needed,& I am no slowpoke. If I need max power shifted to S. Averaged 28.0 mpg for the entire trip. Have made a few mods but none to the 2.0. Did some research before purchase. Car was delivered in S.C. to a local mid age couple. ( I bought in the same town). Not leased car. Well equipped with no body dings & proper servicing. Now getting 1 yr service this week. A definite keeper.