Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 2010 trunk question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 2010 trunk question

Hi all!

My Q5 does not have the -electric trunk- meaning it does not have a button in the trunk to close it automatically. But I can open the trunk by pressing the button on the remote control.

When I press the button, the trunk would “disangage” but it does not open up; but with a small push it will go all the way up. Should the trunk open up completely? Or is it acting normal?

i know most of the Q5 here have the automatic trunk option so I’m curious if someone knows the answer and can help me.

Thanks!!

-David
Old 11-13-2017, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't think the 2010 Q5 has the electronic lift gate option. From what you described it seems that yours is working normally. It is just asst. lift with hydraulic supports but they are not motorised. Some one on here did post something regarding retrofitting the electronic lift gate on their Q5.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Warhead
I don't think the 2010 Q5 has the electronic lift gate option. From what you described it seems that yours is working normally. It is just asst. lift with hydraulic supports but they are not motorised. Some one on here did post something regarding retrofitting the electronic lift gate on their Q5.
ok yes I wanted to make sure - I will look for that note and see if it’s worth it to try the retrofit. Thanks !
Old 11-13-2017, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

In Europe Kufatec sells an add on for this purpose. There is a thread here with a USA seller selling something similar.

I have seen a video when Q5 was test driven. The trunk does not lift all the way up when you have the automatic electronic tailgate lift mechanism. You can push to lift it a bit higher if you are taller. It is normal.

You can add/retrofit the luggage push button if you wish with this control unit.

There is also a drivers door button/switch retrofit kit option for lifting the trunk, but I think you should already have this.

My European Q5 came with out the tailgate lift mechanism. I have retrofitted the new struts lift mechanism, made in Germany, which lifts the trunk with either pressing of the remote control trunk button, or by just pressing the trunk open button if you have the keyless entry option (when it is locked, it unlocks automatically and the trunk lifts). I still need to add the internal switch for opening the trunk from the drivers door. With this method closing is always manual.

Last edited by apoelistas; 11-13-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by apoelistas
In Europe Kufatec sells an add on for this purpose. There is a thread here with a USA seller selling something similar.

I have seen a video when Q5 was test driven. The trunk does not lift all the way up when you have the automatic electronic tailgate lift mechanism. You can push to lift it a bit higher if you are taller. It is normal.

You can add/retrofit the luggage push button if you wish with this control unit.

There is also a drivers door button/switch retrofit kit option for lifting the trunk, but I think you should already have this.

My European Q5 came with out the tailgate lift mechanism. I have retrofitted the new struts lift mechanism, made in Germany, which lifts the trunk with either pressing of the remote control trunk button, or by just pressing the trunk open button if you have the keyless entry option (when it is locked, it unlocks automatically and the trunk lifts). I still need to add the internal switch for opening the trunk from the drivers door. With this method closing is always manual.
so with those struts, when you press the remote control trunk button, the trunk will go all the way up? That sounds like something simple to accomplish what I want to do.

would you share the part number?

my Q5 does not have the drivers door button either, what would I require to install the button and the mechanism to make it work?

Thanks for the info!

i looked for the European model you mentioned but it says I require the electric tailgate and I don’t have it
Old 11-14-2017, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by davecr
so with those struts, when you press the remote control trunk button, the trunk will go all the way up? That sounds like something simple to accomplish what I want to do.

would you share the part number?

my Q5 does not have the drivers door button either, what would I require to install the button and the mechanism to make it work?

Thanks for the info!

i looked for the European model you mentioned but it says I require the electric tailgate and I don’t have it
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...rofit-2934891/

All the way up . See my video. It was very simple for me and very cheap. If you wish I can make a video showing the trunk opening automatically when I press the trunk open button note I have the keyless entry so it unlocks automatically.

I think it is a new product. (2017 MY for Q5s, though I have seen this lift mechanism used in other brands before)

This technology should get an innovation award.

Last edited by apoelistas; 11-14-2017 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

All the way up . See my video. It was very simple for me and very cheap. If you wish I can make a video showing the trunk opening automatically when I press the trunk open button note I have the keyless entry so it unlocks automatically.

I think it is a new product. (2017 MY for Q5s, though I have seen this lift mechanism used in other brands before)

Obviously it looks like it is going to take a lot more effort to now close the hatch, than with the originally fitter struts?
Old 11-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ty so much for this info!

I have a follow up question, just to make sure.. I also have that remote and if I press the trunk button, it will unlock it... if this is the case, all I need are the struts with the springs, correct?

if I want to install the door's button, then I will need the harness and the button that you showed in the picture? Were you able to install it?

Ive been looking here: https://www.k-electronic-shop.de/AUD...Q5/AUDI-Q5-8R/
but I can't find the parts - besides that the website is in GER
Old 11-16-2017, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Obviously it looks like it is going to take a lot more effort to now close the hatch, than with the originally fitter struts?
Correct.

Ty so much for this info!

I have a follow up question, just to make sure.. I also have that remote and if I press the trunk button, it will unlock it... if this is the case, all I need are the struts with the springs, correct?
No problem.
Correct. Just the 2 struts (they come as a pair).

if I want to install the door's button, then I will need the harness and the button that you showed in the picture? Were you able to install it?

Ive been looking here: https://www.k-electronic-shop.de/AUD...Q5/AUDI-Q5-8R/
but I can't find the parts - besides that the website is in GER
The drivers door switch is an option (you may choose not to buy this, though I did). I have not retrofitted this yet. I need to find a good blade to cut through the plastic ( I will drill some holes, then cut). I will try to do this without removing the trim. I will use the back side of the button housing as a guide. After the housing and button installation I will do the electrical part (removing the door trim soldering etc).

You can use chrome webpage translation???
https://www.k-electronic-shop.de/AUD...uestpaket.html
Right side there is an option to choose chrome version. (black button is not nice looking, Q5s came with chrome). Sorry I am used to translating German forums and guides. Article number should change to 15308-2

I usually dont rush with my retrofits When I find some time and do the work I will post a video

I do find the system a perfect add on, better than my wifes automatic tailgate, since I can open the trunk without force, and without using the key, just by pressing the trunk button it automatically lifts.

My wifes automatic electric tailgate, if you press the trunk button you have to lift up (otherwise you have to press the key button to lift). So there are two sides on the same coin depends how you see the glass half full or half empty .. The downside was already discussed, more force to close manually the trunk.

I have 4 retrofits to do (to my Q5), I need to choose which is first, prepare instructions and I have to find time.

Any questions you have I will be happy to answer. .

Last edited by apoelistas; 11-17-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Warhead
My 2010 Q5 has the electronic lift gate that I can open with my keyfob and the switch in the door. I figured it was standard. I just wish I could close it from inside the cabin.

Quick Reply: Audi Q5 2010 trunk question