Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 Basic Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
I have no idea. I have the B&O. I just remember reading when I was getting mine that the base was a Bose. Also, there was a show (someone put the vid up from youtube I believe a year ago or so) where they took 2 Audi's and compared the Bose to the B&O. The host did a blind test to see if he could tell the difference, and he was spot on.

I'm sure that vid is out there somewhere.
In other models, exist Bose but not in the Q5
Old 10-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you I'd spring for the B&O. I'm sorry I didn't and am now looking into after market options which are costly.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OttoNY
If I were you I'd spring for the B&O. I'm sorry I didn't and am now looking into after market options which are costly.
Same here.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the video. It's featured on Fifth Gear. Fast forward to the 18:00 mark.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/fift...ode_715600.htm
Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 PM
COD
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi Sound System is in my Q5 2011 and it is - garbage!

I already removed ALL these cheap speakers (Made in China by www.Sonavox.com) with very small magnets, cheap cone body and cheap sponge surround.

For Audi Q5 B&O system, all speakers are made in Poland and Italy but with B&o specifications. All speakers has rubber surrounds, well designed cone body (to brake standing waves inside cones and suppress ringing etc.) and much stronger and bigger magnets. Spider is also made of better material than in Audi Sound System speakers set.

Another thing is that all covers (in dash, doors and D-pillars) are also designed with better and unobstructed sound spread. So these covers are not only there for cosmetic reason but also functional! (by the way AUDI means LISTEN in English LOL)

I don't have LEAR (B&o ICE D-class amp technology installed) amp installed yet but sound improvement is huge with B&o speakers AND covers.

There are people who can't here the difference but for trained ears it is instant recognition in much better listening experience. You can listen music for long time without getting tired. Bear in mind best reproduction is from CD player, than from RADIO, then from iPhone and worst from mp3 files. With mp3 files you have serious degradation in sound reproduction!

In case that someone want to upgrade sound reproduction here is the list of speakers and covers/masks:

-8R0 035 399 B treble speaker for vehicles with premium loudspeakers system PR-9VK 2 pcs.

-8R0 035 416 mid tone speaker for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system PR-9VK 2 front left&right 2pcs.

-8R0 035 397 A loudspeaker for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system PR-9VK front center 1 pcs.

-8R0 035 415 C mid-range bass speaker for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system PR-9VK 2pcs front door left&right

-8R0 035 411 A mid-range bass speaker for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system PR-9VK 2pcs back door left&right

-8R0 035 399 C treble speaker back door left&right for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system PR-9VK 2 pcs.

-8R0 035 46 mid tone speaker for vehicles with premium sound system PR-9VK in D-pillars 2 pcs.

(if you don't want to go full retrofit you don't have to install this two speakers)

-8R0 035 382 A loudspeaker housing with loudspeaker for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system rear center BASSBOX PR-9VK+KO

OR !!!

-8R0 035 382 C loudspeaker housing with loudspeaker for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system rear center BASSBOX PR-9VK+0K1 !!! HYBRID DRIVE !!!!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 PM
COD
Audiworld Junior Member

Ah almost forgot:

!!! IMPORTANT !!!

Do this ONLY if you have Audi Sound System with 10 speakers!!!

You have to make connection between speakers in front door and new tweeters in case you don't want full retrofit.

In case you want full retrofit you need new 3-microphone set instead of 2-microphone set in case you have 10 speaker system and mmi 3g with voice controll.

-4L1 035 711 G (1 set microphones with wiring loom for vehicles with hands-free device, voice activation and sound system "3 MIKROFONE")

- microphone cable between microphone set and B&o amp.

-8R0 035 46 mid tone speakers in D-pillars + new pillars with openings and masks + wiring to amp!

Sorry for maybe confusing explanation my English is really bad..
Old 11-13-2013, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by COD
Audi Sound System is in my Q5 2011 and it is - garbage!

I already removed ALL these cheap speakers (Made in China by www.Sonavox.com) with very small magnets, cheap cone body and cheap sponge surround.

For Audi Q5 B&O system, all speakers are made in Poland and Italy but with B&o specifications. All speakers has rubber surrounds, well designed cone body (to brake standing waves inside cones and suppress ringing etc.) and much stronger and bigger magnets. Spider is also made of better material than in Audi Sound System speakers set.

Another thing is that all covers (in dash, doors and D-pillars) are also designed with better and unobstructed sound spread. So these covers are not only there for cosmetic reason but also functional! (by the way AUDI means LISTEN in English LOL)

I don't have LEAR (B&o ICE D-class amp technology installed) amp installed yet but sound improvement is huge with B&o speakers AND covers.

There are people who can't here the difference but for trained ears it is instant recognition in much better listening experience. You can listen music for long time without getting tired. Bear in mind best reproduction is from CD player, than from RADIO, then from iPhone and worst from mp3 files. With mp3 files you have serious degradation in sound reproduction!

In case that someone want to upgrade sound reproduction here is the list of speakers and covers/masks:

-8R0 035 399 B treble speaker for vehicles with premium loudspeakers system PR-9VK 2 pcs.

-8R0 035 416 mid tone speaker for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system PR-9VK 2 front left&right 2pcs.

-8R0 035 397 A loudspeaker for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system PR-9VK front center 1 pcs.

-8R0 035 415 C mid-range bass speaker for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system PR-9VK 2pcs front door left&right

-8R0 035 411 A mid-range bass speaker for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system PR-9VK 2pcs back door left&right

-8R0 035 399 C treble speaker back door left&right for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system PR-9VK 2 pcs.

-8R0 035 46 mid tone speaker for vehicles with premium sound system PR-9VK in D-pillars 2 pcs.

(if you don't want to go full retrofit you don't have to install this two speakers)

-8R0 035 382 A loudspeaker housing with loudspeaker for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system rear center BASSBOX PR-9VK+KO

OR !!!

-8R0 035 382 C loudspeaker housing with loudspeaker for vehicles with premium loudspeaker system rear center BASSBOX PR-9VK+0K1 !!! HYBRID DRIVE !!!!
COD,
Thanks for the parts list. Are you able to give some details on the speaker replacement project? Did all the B&O speakers fit without you fabricating adapters?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agree with posters who say "definitely not Bose." If it were the logo would be plastered all over the place and used prominently in Audi's marketing literature. After all, that's what Bose is all about -- selling product, not quality of sound.

Here's a snippet from a post I added a couple of days ago. If you'd like more bass from your non-B&O system ...

... Replaced OEM "subwoofer" with a far more robust driver from -- I can't believe I am saying this -- Bose. [Editor's note: I know, I know ... .]

The last is perhaps the most interesting mod. Like most tinkerers, I took apart the OEM "subwoofer" (non B&0) to check out its quality. Which, to be generous, is poor; it's a cheap paper-cone driver with a magnet about the size of 1/2 a D battery. Furthermore, us Q5 owners are constrained by impedance (the stock driver is 2 ohms) and the trapezoidal shape of the enclosure. I never thought I would be in the market for any Bose product, but it turns out that was the only plug 'n' play driver I could locate. Well, *almost* plug and play -- the 4-bolt pattern was just slightly off, perhaps by 3/16", and there is a small, 5/8-3/4" long, 1/8" wide post on the lower left part of the plastic enclosure. [Editor: That could be easily trimmed out but ... .] Turns out when I slotted the lower right hole into the post, the upper right hole fit fine but I had to drill out holes for the lower and upper left-hand corners. The replacement driver is 4 ohms so I had to wick up the bass control a couple of notches, but the end result was worth the hassle as bass is now deeper and tighter. I'm quite pleased overall with the upgrade.

Also FYI, the cover for the previous driver won't fit given the new bolt holes, but since the sub unit is covered by the 1" thick rear compartment lid I don't think it makes any difference.

For those considering this upgrade, an eBay listing for a similar driver can be found here:

Bose PS28 PS18 PS38 PS48 LSPS Powered Woofer Replacement Speaker 181860 6" 4 Ohm | eBay
Old 11-13-2013, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dude, that's an A8 not a Q5. If I were my son I'd call "fail" but I just rejoined after 6 years so am trying to be nice.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
Dude, that's an A8 not a Q5. If I were my son I'd call "fail" but I just rejoined after 6 years so am trying to be nice.
Sorry, this was to ThunderDent.

Quick Reply: Audi Q5 Basic Sound System