Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 - New Owner - First Impression

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 - New Owner - First Impression

First Impressions :

We are at 100+ miles right now, so well within the break-in period for the tires and the engine.

What I Love so far:
1. Looks - It was hands down the best looking SUV we tried. We looked at the X3 ( ugliest), GLC300 ( not too bad ), Infinity FX35, The Lexus 350. The best feature if the car are the tail lights and the headlights, and the beautiful Audi Grille.

2. Interiors: A bit on the plainer side, but very well refined and lots of attention to detail.

3. NAV and the center screen between the analog dials. Cant go wrong with Google maps.

4. Audi Connect: Very nice and capable system. Next gas, or Next restaurant would be a nice touch on road trips.

5. Spaciousness: The cabin is super spacious, Plenty of room in the front and the back. One great feature is that the rear seats slide forward to make more room for cargo if needed.

6. Panoramic roof is gorgeous. I would love to see how it feels to go on a scenic drive with that.
Andrew certainly enjoys it.

7. The B&O sound system is crystal clear. Hands down the best system I have had. I am no audiophile. However, I am also certain that if the B&O was not lumped into the tech pkg , I would not buy it.

8. The rear seats recline a tad bit, and can shift back and forth to make room for more cargo.

9. The puddle lights, pretty useful feature. Light up the entry way to the car.

10. The auto mirror fold on locking the car.

11. The passenger side mirror folding down for better view of the verb.

12. The auto dimming feature on the mirrors is really cool.

13. Backup camera and the parking sensor are really nice.

What I don't like:
1. Size of the MMI screen and the fact that it is not a touch screen

2. The MMI system is slow. Very slow.

3. Voice recognition needs a lot to be desired.

4. The side mirrors, although great for visibility to the back, is so big, that it creates a blind spot in the front.

5. Ergonomics of the system is a B at best. The functionality of some common stuff is buried too deep.

6. The wheel controls should have had more ways to control the MMI. esp track +/-.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by need2buyaudi
6. The wheel controls should have had more ways to control the MMI. esp track +/-.
You can skip tracks as well as fast forward/rewind using the volume wheel/****.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

how?

QUOTE=ex-quattro PETE;24792004]You can skip tracks as well as fast forward/rewind using the volume wheel/****.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-24-2016, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Push the volume **** to right or left to skip tracks.
Push and hold the volume **** to right or left to fast forward or rewind.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why would anyone want a touchscreen in a car? with your hand bouncing around how can actually select anything? It's even more distracting to use. the controller rests your hand comfortably and allows options to be selected effortlessly.

B&O is super clear but could use a bit more kick out of the sub. The bass is clear but i'd like a harder hit.

also the mmi is outdated and i agree the screen is small.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Push the volume **** to right or left to skip tracks.
Push and hold the volume **** to right or left to fast forward or rewind.
You are referring to the volume **** on the center console right? I think the OP was referring to the steering wheel controls.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by masemoto
You are referring to the volume **** on the center console right? I think the OP was referring to the steering wheel controls.
Yes. Sorry, if I misunderstood what he was trying to do.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Why would anyone want a touchscreen in a car? with your hand bouncing around how can actually select anything? It's even more distracting to use.
Agreed. On top of that, you'll have a screen covered with finger prints, which I personally find disgusting.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Agreed. On top of that, you'll have a screen covered with finger prints, which I personally find disgusting.
I have to say, having designed several touchscreen products (cellphones, etc), I always felt it was the way to go in a car, but I Strongly Dislike every touchscreen car I've driven and especially the one my wife drives. Fingerprints galore, the touch overlay (resistive or capacitive doesn't matter) affects screen brightness, and it just cheapens the look.

While the Q5 MMI itself could use some improvement, I've grown to really appreciate the lack of a touchscreen...even if I originally thought touch is what I wanted.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Yes, the issue with a touch screen is that it requires you to not only take your hand off the steering wheel but also take your eyes off the road for a longer period of time. Using a control wheel/mouse is less of a distraction; however, in case of the current Q5 MMI, there is only so much you can do with that wheel. There is still a bunch of buttons down there all around the control wheel, so you end up having to take your eyes off the road and look for them. Maybe I just don't drive it often enough. If I did, maybe I would have memorized their functions/locations by now...

Quick Reply: Audi Q5 - New Owner - First Impression