Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi SQ5 v BMW X4 30d v Porsche Macan S Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Audi SQ5 v BMW X4 30d v Porsche Macan S Diesel

An interesting test

Audi SQ5 v BMW X4 30d v Porsche Macan S Diesel : Comparison review | CarAdvice

Video: Porsche Macan S Diesel v Audi SQ5 TDI
Porsche Macan S Diesel v Audi SQ5 TDI drag race: video | CarAdvice

Last edited by spijun; 09-24-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! However, the Porsche would probably win if there were turns, and it also depends on the drivers as well. Looking at the video, it seemed like the Audi's driver was pressing a little harder on the throttle than the Porsche's driver was, but perhaps that was just an optical illusion.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No is not optical illusion.
Audi SQ 230kW (313PS) 650Nm from 0-100 km / h 5,1S
Porsche Macan 190 kW (258 hp) 580Nm from 0 to 100 km / h 6.3

Last edited by spijun; 09-25-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:14 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting review Spijun, thanks. I just wish these manufacturers or their US organizations would get with the program and bring these sporty diesels to this part of the world. Steve
Old 09-25-2014, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scrmorling
Interesting review Spijun, thanks. I just wish these manufacturers or their US organizations would get with the program and bring these sporty diesels to this part of the world. Steve
Well we do get a vehicle that pretty much has the engine in the Macan. Not exactly the same thing, though, but I'm happy with it. But I'm still hoping that Porsche brings the diesel Macans as an approximation of the diesel SQ5 that we don't get. Who knows what they're planning, though, but I believe the diesel Cayennes were reasonable sellers so there should at least be a chance with the Macan (granted the Cayenne is a truck and people equate it with diesel more than cars, but still).

It'd be nice to get some BMW 35d models back, too, though it seems like all we're getting is renumbered 20ds... which is better than nothing, but doesn't help show that you can get relative economy and performance at the same time.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
but doesn't help show that you can get relative economy and performance at the same time.
I think this is part of the stigma we still have here in the US - people don't associate diesel with fast/sporty cars. That's why the SQ5 is gasoline powered here in the US and not diesel powered like in other countries.

Hopefully this perception will eventually change.

For a while also, I remember it was really challenging for car manufacturers to provide high performance diesel engines here in the US due to our peculiar emissions requirements. They had to be creative with stuff like urea tanks, etc. Hopefully with time, things will improve.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 09-25-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
For a while also, I remember it was really challenging for car manufacturers to provide high performance diesel engines here in the US due to our peculiar emissions requirements. They had to be creative with stuff like urea tanks, etc. Hopefully with time, things will improve.
There was the issue of us having high-sulfur diesel while Europe was low-sulfur by then, as well as more recently our much-stricter emissions requirements and differences between emissions focus (less of an issue with Euro 6 so it should be simpler for manufacturers to meet both EPA and Euro 6 requirements). We used to have to have completely-different TDI engines due to the fuel differences, which wasn't as necessary once we finally went low-sulfur.

Urea usage helps with both emissions and consumption, so I wouldn't anticipate it going away, especially with tighter requirements on the European side as well. At least the only drawback there seems to be the space taken by the tank and having an extra fluid to fill occasionally.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Urea usage helps with both emissions and consumption, so I wouldn't anticipate it going away, especially with tighter requirements on the European side as well. At least the only drawback there seems to be the space taken by the tank and having an extra fluid to fill occasionally.

Urea usage helps only for emissions has nothing to do with consumption
Old 09-25-2014, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Urea usage helps only for emissions has nothing to do with consumption
Interesting, could've sworn that it decreased consumption slightly as well as reducing emissions. Might've been from somewhere getting sloppy and confounding changes in emissions with emissions-derived economy figures or something. Thanks for the correction.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Interesting, could've sworn that it decreased consumption slightly as well as reducing emissions. Might've been from somewhere getting sloppy and confounding changes in emissions with emissions-derived economy figures or something. Thanks for the correction.
http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/13...e-Brochure.pdf

Audi 3.0-Liter V6 TDI w/ Clean Diesel System - Self-Study Program 941803 - Page 72-90

http://vwts.ru/engine/cata/pps_94180...system_eng.pdf

Quick Reply: Audi SQ5 v BMW X4 30d v Porsche Macan S Diesel