Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Autostart disengaged gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will totally agree with everything you have said, but when it is actually cold at -25 C outside, not a chilly 52 F like in Cali, you would have a different opinion, trust me, I have buddy's that have moved up here from Texas and Vegas for work and the first blast of hard cold winter, they get me to install starters. I rarely let my vehicle run the whole 10 minutes, just usually a few minutes to break the chill. I have heard manufacturers tell me the exact opposite of what you have said and I have had engineers in metallurgy each have valid arguments on both sides. I am not an expert on engine design or oiling systems, I just know when I start the car at -20C and instantly drive, it is hesitant and does not want to drive smoothly, when it warms up for 3-5 minutes, it is a totally normal car. I have always laughed at the idling bans though, So I can't warm up my car for 10 minutes, but yet it is fine to idle in traffic to work daily for 45 minutes or get stuck in traffic for 25 minutes with the a/c on and radio playing. Seems counter productive on an environmental standpoint.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Warhead
I am actually interested in hearing more, I might have to look into where to get such a product. How is it in regards to security of the Q5? any links to the products?

Kris
Security wise it is the same as with your key, it must be present to drive away, if I open the door with my phone and get in without my key as soon as I step on the brake, it shuts down, then I have to run back to the house and find my keys.
The products I have installed are DBALL2 and DSMC450 both are made by Directed Electronics. Google install shops in your area and call around, you want to find the guy that is well versed in german cars, most installers are full of BS and will talk your ear off, We want to take your money, that's reality. Find one that is recommended by your local Audi facebook page or car club, ask for dealer references from the installer, and look at pictures. When I worked retail and owned my own business, I had all of this laid out for customers. I no longer work retail but if you PM me where you are I can reach out to my rep's and see who is "the Guy" in your area.
Jeff
Old 11-21-2017, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I have sent to a message Jeff