Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Aux Coolant Pump (Fire) recall update

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Ah, claro.

From the initial reports it isn't a matter of the pump simply failing, but rather, of the "gook" in the system clogging the impeller in the pump and causing it to jam and fail. In theory a new pump would have less gook in it to start jamming...but Audi has been silent and stonewalled when I asked if the replacement would include a complete system flush and fill--which is necessary if there's a problem caused by gook forming in the system.

Coolants with "silicates", mandated by VWG, were infamous for problems of that type in the US even 40-50 year ago. Supposedly VWGF requires the silicates because of that bad EU water (you know, no one drinks that stuff over their) and the fickle nature of the aluminum alloys used y VWG, which somehow are not robust enough to function properly with distilled water and generic coolant, as other engines do.

Stonewalling. How rude and insulting they are.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Ah, claro.

From the initial reports it isn't a matter of the pump simply failing, but rather, of the "gook" in the system clogging the impeller in the pump and causing it to jam and fail. In theory a new pump would have less gook in it to start jamming...but Audi has been silent and stonewalled when I asked if the replacement would include a complete system flush and fill--which is necessary if there's a problem caused by gook forming in the system.

Coolants with "silicates", mandated by VWG, were infamous for problems of that type in the US even 40-50 year ago. Supposedly VWGF requires the silicates because of that bad EU water (you know, no one drinks that stuff over their) and the fickle nature of the aluminum alloys used y VWG, which somehow are not robust enough to function properly with distilled water and generic coolant, as other engines do.

Stonewalling. How rude and insulting they are.

I just updated my ETKA, it now it is not showing the 2018+ pump P/N as a replacement.

A replacement pump now has a new P/N 06D121601 assigned along with a new bracket 06H121079N. The old pump P/N is no longer listed, just the bracket for it.

This may, or may not, be the recall replacement pump.

This statement by NHSTA is very vague and confusing...……

"Especially it was identified that moisture is the main factor leading to a possible overheating by debris. However, a blocked
pump may develop more moisture and is therefore at a higher risk of overheating."

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 11-09-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Those new numbers may indicate the new pump and bracket have been authorized for manufacture, but they are not on the shelves yet. I just got off the phone with my local Audi deceiver, and the nice voice on the other end of the phone said no, at this time, today, they want me to replace two things, they think, but a new water pump is not among them. And, gee, they never realized that pump is in there for a reason, there's no extended warranty on the turbo unit if the excess heat causes it to fail in two more years.

If I ask AoA "What is the MTBF on the turbo units normally? Your engineering department has those numbers, they gave them to your warranty finance analysis and forecast team." You think they'll share those numbers with me? And extend my turbo warranty to cover it past the old MTBF, which was based on having an auxiliary cooling pump always there?

Oh, and the service department guy said as far as they know, there's STILL no date when the actual replacement pumps might be available. I guess, an Audi pump is such exotic new technology, there is nothing comparable on the planet. Or, yeah sure, they've got them, but first they want to put a million hours of operation on some, to make sure they'll be of the usual high Audi reliability. Silly me, that MUST be it.(G)

Long week here Bob...the cart's piled high with manure and you know, the town dump is closed on weekends....
Old 11-09-2018, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Those new numbers may indicate the new pump and bracket have been authorized for manufacture, but they are not on the shelves yet. I just got off the phone with my local Audi deceiver, and the nice voice on the other end of the phone said no, at this time, today, they want me to replace two things, they think, but a new water pump is not among them. And, gee, they never realized that pump is in there for a reason, there's no extended warranty on the turbo unit if the excess heat causes it to fail in two more years.

If I ask AoA "What is the MTBF on the turbo units normally? Your engineering department has those numbers, they gave them to your warranty finance analysis and forecast team." You think they'll share those numbers with me? And extend my turbo warranty to cover it past the old MTBF, which was based on having an auxiliary cooling pump always there?

Oh, and the service department guy said as far as they know, there's STILL no date when the actual replacement pumps might be available. I guess, an Audi pump is such exotic new technology, there is nothing comparable on the planet. Or, yeah sure, they've got them, but first they want to put a million hours of operation on some, to make sure they'll be of the usual high Audi reliability. Silly me, that MUST be it.(G)

Long week here Bob...the cart's piled high with manure and you know, the town dump is closed on weekends....
OK I dug deeper...……

The repair procedure from the 20127 recall, stated that if the pump was bad, replace with the ………..

Campaign Work Procedure
19M1 Safety Recall

ATTENTION!

Damages resulting from improper repair or failure to follow these work instructions are the dealer’s responsibility and are not eligible for reimbursement under this action.

Parts

06D 121 601 Coolant Pump
06H 121 079 N Coolant Pump Bracket Bracket

The procedure, with Audi knowing that debris is the cause for the pump problem, only clamps off the two hoses to the pump, replace the pump and top off coolant.

At that time the total vehicle coolant was not drained and replaced. This could change in this upcoming recall.

The P/N's for the pump and bracket could also change. Time will tell...…………..

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 11-09-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I took the Q5 in today, for its annual check-up, and immediately told the service advisor I was opting out of this recall, after I asked if the new pumps were available. He told me the jumper was the only thing available right now, and agreed with me with a little laughter, when I said “ya not interested unless Audi has decided to extend the warrranty on my turbo.”

Last edited by arrtewwx; 11-14-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah. AND. If you remember "Overheating Engines 101" the first thing to do, when there's any question of "gunk" in the cooling system, is to REVERSE FLUSH THE ENTIRE SYSTEM. Steam or hot water preferably, but you reverse flush the whole thing to get as much crud out as you can.

Apparently Audi has no plans to remove the crud, except for the crud that's stuck in that aux cooling pump??

Or maybe they do, but this is the awesome "There there dear, just give me your wallet and don't worry your silly little head" treatment again?
Old 11-14-2018, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default NO, NOT A VOLVO!

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
If my Q5 burns to the ground, makes my decision as to what new model( Alfa, Jaguar, Volvo) to buy a quicker decision.
I am staying away from Volvo after my experience with 2005 XC90 V8.
The engine ( designed by Yamaha) had two "permanently lubricated" bearings that would seeze some time after 50K miles. Yes, in some csses right after the warranty expired . Causing major heads damage.
The seats were nice but our 2008 LR2 had even better seats. However, after 5 years and 18 trips to the dealer for non-maintenance work, in 2012 I bought the glorified Toyota Harrier ( it is called Lexus RX350 here in the US).
6 years and one trip to the dealer for a minor problem.
And yes, it rides like a boat...but has not stalled in the middle of the street yet and does not need front suspension rebuild yet.
my 2p
Old 11-14-2018, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes M1964 I agree that many are falling victim to the Volvo (Geely - Chinese) marketing.They do make a good looking machine.As to Land Rover (Indian) or Jaguar (same Indian Co.) they always made a really crappy vehicle.Perhaps the Indians have sorted this out (possible) but I'd say that your Lexus 350 is a solid choice if you don't need the "edge" that an Audi provides.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi:

Has anyone had the new coolant pump installed yet? A friend with a 2015 A4 just had his pump replaced this week. I'm going to take a leap and assume it's likely the same part as used by the Q5. Part number below.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

As of today, still no letter announcing that the new pumps exist, or that appointments can be made to have them installed. Audi promised something around New Year's, which makes me guess the letters will go out later in January and the parts might exist for February. Roll them dice!

Quick Reply: Aux Coolant Pump (Fire) recall update