Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Best all season tires for 2014 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bpp
What I don't understand is a company like Michelin would consider introducing a tire like the A/S 3 knowing full well the snow performance was less than marginal. Mediocrity is not in their vocabulary.
Because of their name. I'm not a fan of Michelin car tires.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the DWS 06, horrible noise, harsh, hard impacts, worse than the worn out OEM
tires. Went by all the high ratings. Regret getting the Contis. The humming at some speeds
is crazy loud along with the other comments. They do handle great in dry, have not tried
in rain/snow.

I am used to sports cars with aggressive tires, these tires simply suck !
Old 08-29-2017, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
Did you compare the A/S 3+ with the DWS 06? I really like the performance of the DWS 06 but I would like something less noisy.
From personal experience, I'd say these latest Michelins perform better in dry conditions. Handling is slightly superior and noise is less. Snow traction is comparable with an edge to the DWS.
However, the contis have a better wet grip hands down. They are more capable on muddy, rough, dirt and gravel roads than the Michelins. They are also cheaper...but they can dramatically get noisier over time. Expect chirping when cornering hard.

Overall, they both great performance all season tires, but depending on your use, one tire could serve you better.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Size matters

Originally Posted by Ray_QT
Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+
I don't think that tire is available in two common Q5 sizes:
235/60 R18
235/55 R19 (my size)

Are you running it on 20" wheels?
Old 08-30-2017, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm just coming off my first spring/summer (have separate winters) on a set of Bridgestone Ecopia 235/55/19.I would describe my experience as extremely positive.I've done about 25k kms/16k miles.Very competent wet or dry.quiet,wearing very well, and surprisingly responsive and late to squeal., .I weighed these against the Michelin Defender LTX Defender which a well reviewed middle of the road 4S.Trouble is those capitalist pigs, hah, are getting 30% more than the Ecopia. I hate noisy tires and this was a concern going in. I know the Michelins are very good in this respect,but not a peep from the Ecopias,maybe it's because of
The Who cranked up !
So I took a chance, cheaped out and won.
I used to sell tires (garage owner) and there's not much I haven't tried or experienced.Anyway my 2c worth.Hope it helps.

Last edited by MurrayA4; 08-30-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by t3hite
Are you running it on 20" wheels?
Yes, 255/45/20.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pennysaudiq5
I want a tire that would perform well in snow also which we've been told will be the Michelin Latitude Tour HP
The Latitude Tour HP is an older design. The Michelin Premier LTX is a more recent tire that should perform better. It's available in H rated (smoother ride) and V rated (better handling) versions. What size wheels and tires are on your car?
Old 09-30-2017, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I notice on tire rack they ask for the 21's if it is rubber or metal stem.Why do some have one or the other and why? I have rubber.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I can understand the want or need to run just one set of all-season tires. Time, space, money, all real things. But I'd also suggest most strongly, especially in NH with real winters, getting a set of real snow tires. After the first time I did that, and swapped them out against my "all season" tires on the same day during a blizzard, I'd never go back to using "all season" tires in snow country. It is the difference between trying to cross an ice skating rink while in stiletto heels, versus crossing it in heavy boots with a bag of salt or sand to scatter on your path.

If the snow tires stop you in six inches less distance, that's all it takes to avoid a $3500 front end crash into a pole. And if they get you moving out of the way of something else...same thing. Yes, the tires and wheels can set you back $1000, but the extra tires will mean your summer tires last twice as long, so that's a wash. And if you use aftermarket wheels, say from Tirerack at $125 each? That's still cheaper (and faster and more reliable) than having your tires changed on the original rims year after year. It is a net investment in safety.

A Q5 is a 4600# pink hippopotamus in a ballet tutu. (Fantasia anyone?) Yes, AWD is great, ABS is great, but when it comes to winter traction and starting, stopping, and steering the car? Snow tires are the difference between white knuckles and a relaxed ride.

If there is ANY way that budget and space allow you to do it. Invest.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shokhead
I notice on tire rack they ask for the 21's if it is rubber or metal stem.Why do some have one or the other and why? I have rubber.
I believe there is a difference for TPMS in the wheels. (metal has then in the rim and rubber would be in the hub) at least that is my best guess.

Edit: @Redd, Nice analogy with the pink hippopotamus in a ballet tutu. Yes the wife is a big fan so I have seen it just a few times.

Last edited by Warhead; 09-30-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Best all season tires for 2014 Audi Q5