Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Bicycle rack for Q5

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bicycle rack for Q5

Has anyone figured out a less-permanent bike rack solution for the Q5 yet? I only need to carry 2 bikes once a year and I don't want to go with the trailer hitch or the roof rack (as I have the Thule carrier up there during that trip). Anyone found a strap carrier or a frame bolt-on carrier that will work?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 04-24-2013, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Has anyone figured out a less-permanent bike rack solution for the Q5 yet? I only need to carry 2 bikes once a year and I don't want to go with the trailer hitch or the roof rack (as I have the Thule carrier up there during that trip). Anyone found a strap carrier or a frame bolt-on carrier that will work?

Thanks
Jeff
A strap carrier will mar the car's finish no matter how hard you try not to. Keep that in mind. My sales rep mentioned the roof rack when I told him I was getting a hitch put on. You have to have strength and balance to lift a bike up that high. I didn't like that idea.

Just my 2 cents worth. Not really that helpful I know.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since you're only using it once a year, I can understand why you wouldn't want to pay $1000 for a hitch and bike carrier. That would be the best option since you're already using the roof rack for something else, but I don't see why a generic bike carrier that straps onto the cargo door wouldn't work. Something like this:
http://www.bikeracksrus.co.uk/img/ve...r_2603_500.jpg

Just be careful not to scratch your paint with any metal surfaces and don't open the cargo door with the bike still attached (you may have to remind your spouse not to hit the trunk button too). If you mar the paint a little, it's no big deal - just wash/clay it off later. Your dark color hides any black rubber marks that transfer to your paint anyways.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Nothing beats the trailer hitch - period
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I lucked out because I got my hitch for under 200 dollars online and then an hourly technician where I work installed it for me. I've had the bike rack since '98.

I see the strap on rack in the photo. It looks like the tire is so close to the paint job or is actually touching it. You will want to secure the front wheel so it's not flopping around. That can do some damage. Moving pedals can mess things up. I just avoid anything touching the car altogether.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did have the strap style rack with our 2002 ML 320 which we had before the Q5 and it worked great but the same unit will not work on the Q5 based on how the hatch is designed.

Thanks for the throughts.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just bought the Saris Bones 3-bike rack, and the optional hatch hugger straps. They have a 2 bike one also. Their own website says it doesn't fit, but I did a test fit at the Performance Bike shop and it works fine. The bottom feet sit on the top of the rear bumper, but I have a plastic scratch guard there already. I have to jury rig a small cushion to protect the top of the hatch spoiler, but not a big deal. Haven't actually had bikes on it yet, but should work just fine.

Regularly about $160, on sale 10% off at Performance Bike through end of month if you have one near you, plus 20% off coupon if you sign up for the emails.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
You have to have strength and balance to lift a bike up that high. I didn't like that idea.
Agreed, this is not easy to do. I have used the bike carrier from my old A4 on the roof of the Q5 and it's not easy to get it up there. It's possible and I'm only 5'-10".
Old 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Nothing beats the trailer hitch - period
Agreed. I have a tray hitch rack for mine, the Thule T2 XTR. Love it.

Name:  IMG_0620.jpg
Views: 6332
Size:  78.8 KB
Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticar
I just bought the Saris Bones 3-bike rack, and the optional hatch hugger straps. They have a 2 bike one also. Their own website says it doesn't fit, but I did a test fit at the Performance Bike shop and it works fine. The bottom feet sit on the top of the rear bumper, but I have a plastic scratch guard there already. I have to jury rig a small cushion to protect the top of the hatch spoiler, but not a big deal. Haven't actually had bikes on it yet, but should work just fine.

Regularly about $160, on sale 10% off at Performance Bike through end of month if you have one near you, plus 20% off coupon if you sign up for the emails.
Amazon.com: Saris Bones 805 (2-Bike) Trunk Mount Rack: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Saris Bones 805 (2-Bike) Trunk Mount Rack: Sports & Outdoors

Quick Reply: Bicycle rack for Q5