Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Bilstein + Eibach B12 Pro kit, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Bilstein + Eibach B12 Pro kit, anyone?

Hello,

I'm in the market for a new suspension setup for my 2.0T Q5 and I'm leaning towards a Bilstein + Eibach B12 Pro kit (code E90-15-013-01-22). I have read a few reviews on the A4 B8 platform and feedback is positive but I'd like to learn from Q5 owners running this (or similar setup). This kit is basically a set of Bilstein B8 shocks and struts + Eibach springs.

My goal is to have a firmer ride specially in sinuous and curvy roads at speed without too much lowering as I still need some decent clearing to deal with 3rd world roads

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

After a lot of back and forth that included a 1 month strike and parcel lost for 2 weeks inside customs (3rd world problems), today I’ll pick up my Bilstein + Eibach Pro kit. I’m very much looking forward to have it installed on my Q5, hopefully before the end of the month (summer here and shops are working with low staff).
I orderded the kit directly from Germany since delivery times were really good, but then everything conspired for delays, anyway, I’ll post pictures once I get a hold on the package.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh yeah!

Old 02-09-2019, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well well, I'll be out for a week on a business trip down under and have left the Q at my trusty indy shop, they will fit this B12 kit and take it to the guy next door for a proper detailing, I'll report once I get back and take it for a drive.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by uncleiggy
Well well, I'll be out for a week on a business trip down under and have left the Q at my trusty indy shop, they will fit this B12 kit and take it to the guy next door for a proper detailing, I'll report once I get back and take it for a drive.
I am excited to see the results. Do you expect it to lower the height at all?
Old 02-09-2019, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Warhead
I am excited to see the results. Do you expect it to lower the height at all?
They say it drops 3-4 cm so not that much of a drop, I’m looking for better handling more than dropping it but I don’t mind if it gets a little bit closer to the ground
Old 02-18-2019, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Picked up the car Saturday morning and drove it for 200 miles over the weekend. First impressions are awesome, the car feels more stable, specially at highway speeds, lane changing, over passing and braking improved dramatically. It’s definitively a worthwhile upgrade, I'd say that it’s as noticeable as a STG I tune in terms of difference with stock. I’m quite impressed with the stability at high speeds (90mph), the “gondola” effect is gone, and nose diving when braking went away as well.

On the negative side, city riding, especially at low speeds on bad roads is a bit rash (my wife noticed it), going over bumps and potholes is not as smooth as stock, this was somehow expected but I’ll take it back to the shop and see if they consider it “normal” as in certain conditions (deep potholes, steep and narrow bump stops) there’s a barely noticeable “clunk” that I’m pretty sure shouldn’t be there so let’s see.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

BTW, I’ve been riding with 33psi on all 4 corners without carrying heavy stuff, just 2 adults and a kid. This is the pressure I use when driving on the highway, I’ll try lowering it to 30psi now that I’ll be doing city driving only this week, this might help with the harsh riding.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Before + After

BEFORE

AFTER

Not a lot of a drop, the advertised 3cm only

Last edited by uncleiggy; 02-19-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uncleiggy
BTW, I’ve been riding with 33psi on all 4 corners without carrying heavy stuff, just 2 adults and a kid. This is the pressure I use when driving on the highway, I’ll try lowering it to 30psi now that I’ll be doing city driving only this week, this might help with the harsh riding.
Lowered tire pressure to 30psi and now it's a different beast, still a little bit stiffer than stock but more comfortable than at 33psi and could not notice any weird noise yet. A few things to note, had to do it early this morning when my garage was at 25C, it's summer here and today temps raised to 35C, yesterday when I checked the tire pressure after a 20 minutes city drive, pressure was at 36psi due to heat, this morning before lowering them they were at 33psi.
BTW, I measure my tire pressure with my trusty Topeak SMARTGAUGE D2 which happens to work just fine for bikes, cars, trucks and anything with a presta/schrader valves and up to 250psi.

Last edited by uncleiggy; 02-20-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Bilstein + Eibach B12 Pro kit, anyone?