Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

'Blubbering' between gears at full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 'Blubbering' between gears at full throttle

The rare times we go full bore from a stop,
we get a little of what I call blubbering before it shifts...

Only seen it on shifts between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd
(haven't taken it any further, by that time am usually going fast enough )

For a long time (40k miles now) the full power shifts had been quick between gears.

You'll hear in the video in my signature below that previously it would just pause quietly for a bit before going to the next gear... now it seems like it is 'blubbering' once or twice while shifting ?!?

Still runs perfectly at 'normal' speeds, just at full throttle will it 'miss' at shift time...

will get a video of it today to post....

Is it MAP that needs cleaning? Prob ably not air filter as that is new...

Any ideas before I take it in ?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 01-13-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:23 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I get the same thing on my '12. I'm guessing the rev matching between gears when rpm's climb super fast has to be very aggressive so manifests as some "blubbering" in the engine when the gas supply is shut off to achieve the rev matching. I hadn't worried about it but will be interested to hear what the dealer has to say if you take it in.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rez
I get the same thing on my '12. I'm guessing the rev matching between gears when rpm's climb super fast has to be very aggressive so manifests as some "blubbering" in the engine when the gas supply is shut off to achieve the rev matching. I hadn't worried about it but will be interested to hear what the dealer has to say if you take it in.
Tips don't rev-match, though, that's the S-Tronic (as it's dual-clutch), so it shouldn't be from something like that. Hopefully the dealer can get you guys some info, though, since it doesn't sound right.... (Not that there's not other things that aren't quite right that are brushed off as "in spec".)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Agree it doesn't rev match on downshifts (depending on how aggressively I get back on the throttle after deceleration it can sure give quite a jerk as it goes down a couple or 3 gears) but to my "seat of the pants" impression it sure feels as if it rev matches on upshifts as the acceleration remains pretty linear during upshifts - you can hear the revs get cut down but very little sensation of a jerk as it upshifts. Perhaps one of the experts here have some thoughts.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

JBT, Please keep us informed on your Qs "blubbering" issue. I am very curious to know what the outcome is. I am still very much considering a REVO tune and would like to know if your problem is tune related or worse yet, the tune causes the dealer to balk at finding and fixing the issue. Hopefully it was only a shortlived problem caused by bad gas or something of the like. Thanks J.C.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel these newer transmissions shift gears so quickly that it causes this. I know DSG equipped cars do it. People refer to it as farting.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, think I found the problem, took lot's of research.... found gas receipts with $2.99 per gallon !
while fuel has gone down here in Texas, premium at that price ?!?! No way...

So asked innocently, where you getting your gas for the Q ?

and got "anything convenient" from blondie !!!

SO, went and got some http://www.rxp.com/ and some premium fuel and will HELP her by filling it up for her

We'll see how it does, because it's only at FULL throttle during 1-2, 3-4 shifts that it hesitates....

"She" never notices it - but it is her car

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 01-17-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Ok, think I found the problem, took lot's of research.... found gas receipts with $2.99 per gallon !
while fuel has gone down here in Texas, premium at that price ?!?! No way...
Cheaper than Austin, I'm paying $3.14 for my regular here. But yeah, get some premium back in that thing, it may not die from regular, but it sure won't be happy.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds logical. I would "blubber" if I had to drink PBR instead of my usual Hoegarten!