Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake issues

Hello everyone, I m really hoping that someone has seen this problem before. My 2017 Q5, 10k miles, shaking when braking . steering vibrate etc. took it to the dealer and the told me it was rotors and changed me 90$ for diagnosis and quoted me 950$ to replace front rotor and pads. I had a local mechanic check the rotors and he said it seems fine, but i decided to change it anyway., I changed the rotor , (not pads, they looked fine), and it stll did not resolve the issue. The shaking seems to be only on the right side. The old Rotor shows an area where it never makes contact with the pads. see pic. please let me know what is causing this. i was told its not covered since its wear and tear. Thank you - John
Old 06-16-2019, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Interesting!!!

What does the rotor look like on the other side in the same exact spot as this rough looking area? Can you give us a photo of the rotor's other side?
Old 06-16-2019, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Interesting!!!

What does the rotor look like on the other side in the same exact spot as this rough looking area? Can you give us a photo of the rotor's other side?
thank you - other side is clean, normal wear , caliper looks fine, hub looks ok, and pad wear is even.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

More interesting!!!

If you have a micrometer it would be nice to see if the rotor thickness at that rough spot is thicker or thinner than the rest of the rotor thickness.

Could be just failed rotor material at that spot, but you stated that the new rotor is also giving pulsations.

I can only think of the possibility of a bent hub causing the same issue with both the old and new rotor. You really need to look at the new rotor inside wear pattern and see if that spot is starting to develop.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John J

....My 2017 Q5, 10k miles, shaking when braking . steering vibrate etc........please let me know what is causing this. i was told its not covered since its wear and tear. Thank you - John
Do you have steering vibration without braking? The wear pattern on inside of the rotor seems to suggest wheel bearing/hub issue, the rotor is rotating off round.
This is not wear and tear, something is wrong. You Audi dealer should cover it.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No vibrations without braking. Smooth ride. do you suggest speaking to the dealer or corporate. Also, can i tell them i changed the rotor? does that matter
Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John J
No vibrations without braking. Smooth ride. do you suggest speaking to the dealer or corporate. Also, can i tell them i changed the rotor? does that matter
You had typical "warped rotor" symptom, no wonder the dealer recommended rotor replacement.
What's interesting is that you still have the same problem with new rotor. As @Bob Petruska suggested, you might want to examine the old rotor, by measuring or bringing to a machine shop, if the rotor is not warped, the calipers and hardware are ok, and wheel lug nuts are torqued properly, nothing else could be culprit other than the wheel hub/bearing.

Yes, I'd let them know the rotor was replaced per their recommendation if going to a dealer for this.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it was wheel hub / bearing, wouldn't it be an un-even wear on both sides of the rotor in the same spot on each side?
Old 07-02-2019, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Questions
How do you know which wheel hub bearing side has failed.

How do you know if it is not the internal bearing that has failed instead of the external hub bearing??

I am also following. Interested of the outcome remedy on this.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm not understanding why a two year old car with 10k miles on it isn't covered by the original warranty. There should have been no charge for the work the dealer did, and they still did not find and address the problem. I think a discussion with Audi of America and the dealer's service manager is in order. This should be a "takee fixee" warranty issue.

Quick Reply: Brake issues