Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 12:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Brand new Q5 -- Transmission Problem?

Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nearing the end...

While the resolution to this entire fiasco will definitely be satisfactory, the execution has definitely left something to be desired -- hopefully because it's so rare an occurrence. As it turned out, the Cuvee Silver/Grey 2.0T PP became available... after not being available under any circumstances.. because the supposed very interested buyer didn't qualify for financing. I found this shocking because my dealer wouldn't even begin the process of procuring my current vehicle without a contract in place, let alone having passed a credit check, but whatever. Then I received a call saying it would almost certainly be in by the end of this week. When asking if I could pick it up Friday evening, was told, pretty emphatically, it would probably not be ready then. But, you said end of the week? Why set that expectation if you can't meet it? Fast forward to yesterday morning, called by dealer, vehicle's here, I can bring it to you TODAY. So much back and forth. While I would have enjoyed the 3.0T, I have not felt like I'm missing anything with the 2.0T, and that's coming from a former B6 S4 owner. If anything the timing will work out perfectly for a trade if the TDI ever makes it here, which would be very exciting.

AUDIIOS

Originally Posted by AUDIIOS
ANOTHER update... after promising me there would be no issue to get me the Cuvee Silver/Grey 2.0T that I had agreed to... well, there was an issue. So apparently tonight I will be ordering my 2013 from the factory. I'm told they can fast-track it, we'll see. More updates as warranted.

AUDIIOS
Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, at least you'll be up and running again, even if it wasn't the smoothest replacement ever. TDI's still supposed to be coming in less than a year, so assuming you plan on keeping the 2.0T for a couple years then the TDI will have had a chance to prove itself (not that it hasn't already overseas).
Old 11-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by idale
Well, at least you'll be up and running again, even if it wasn't the smoothest replacement ever. TDI's still supposed to be coming in less than a year, so assuming you plan on keeping the 2.0T for a couple years then the TDI will have had a chance to prove itself (not that it hasn't already overseas).
Exactly! Took nearly two months to resolve, but I've been given no indication Audi expects me to compensate them for whatever miles are on the vehicle I will release to them, so that really wasn't so bad either. If the TDI were coming in '13 I would have most certainly ordered one, not too concerned about reliability since as you said, it's been in service overseas.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's here! 2013 2.0T PP w/B&O, Advanced Key, 19" wheels. I was happy with my 2012 with exactly the same options, but let me explain the many ways in which this vehicle is an improvement over the '12. First though, let me applaud AoA for how they handled my complaint. Granted, it was almost exactly two months start to finish, but they swapped out my '12 for a '13 with 4500 miles, at no charge to me, so they took full responsibility for that time frame. Sales staff at my local dealership was fantastic and professional as it always has been. I'm really not sure how much my service record at the dealership helped my case, as I've taken two previous vehicles there religiously while out of warranty ('02 A4 3.0, '04 S4).

Now, to the improvements:
1. DRL and tail lights are just plain better. Nothing wrong with the '12 but the '13 is so much more distinctive. I've gotten many looks already in just the first couple of days, probably the lights catch people's eyes first.
2. Satellite radio. This is a big one for me. On my S4 and Q5, there were always dead zones, near cell towers and possibly power lines, where I would lose my signal. Not often, but consistently on my commute and many places I travel frequently. I get zero signal loss in the '13. Not sure what was fixed but I've been in GM vehicles that were just as good so Audi figured something out apparently. Kudos.
3. Gauges. Gone is the red text that was a signature Audi characteristic. I'll miss it in the console just because I thought it looked cool, but it does dress up the instrument cluster considerably now that it's in white. Although, the brightness may make night driving a little more of a challenge for some.
4. Ash vs. Walnut. Go for the ash if you have the choice. Just looks so much more opulent with the exposed grain vs. the walnut. I think the layered oak is a non-choice due to look and cost, but to each his own.
5. Climate control. Still getting used to this, but I think the layout makes more sense, actually reminds me more of what was in my S4. Seat heaters much easier to use, single button push vs. button/dial combo. They get plenty toasty.
6. Exhaust tips. They look great! No extra charge.
7. Wheels. I really thought this was one place I'd be taking a step backwards, but I think after a few months I came to the conclusion that the 19s on the 2012 were just a little too sporty for the look of the vehicle. While the new 19s are less sporty, I think they fit the overall look much better. Had I ended up with the 3.0T I think I would have gone to the 20s for better handling and really no extra tire cost long-term, but can't comment on the look of those as I haven't seen in person.
8. Color. I love the grey interior, probably equally as much as the beige. Can't decide, can't lose. But I definitely prefer the Cuvee Silver over the Glacier White Metallic. The white was great, but the Silver is distinctive and just pops a little bit more. It washes out a little in sunlight, to the point where it almost looks like a regular silver metallic. However at night and under lights it warms up considerably, and just looks amazing. Definitely check it out in person if you're considering it.
9. Steering. Feels a little lighter than in my '12, especially at low speed, but I'm really not sure yet whether or not that's good or bad. No complaints here, it's not an S4 but not much is. Any additional MPG gain is welcome.
10. Steering wheel. Definitely the biggest interior change. Still getting used to the stretched badging in the center, but the buttons are about the same. Much beefier wheel, which I really like and didn't expect. The Nav button is standard, whether you have it or not; a little strange.
11. Power steering whine. Never bothered me, but it's gone.
12. Performance. Purely anecdotal, but even with the same powerplant, I feel like it's improved. I get quicker throttle response, and tighter shifts than I got with my '12. Makes me all the more convinced demanding the swap was the right move. If not from a reliability standpoint, then just from one of quality. Can't comment on mileage yet or oil consumption, less than 200 miles.
13. Chrome door strip. Meh. But with a light body color it's hardly noticeable.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Glad things worked out for you. Great review, but where are the pictures??
Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very pleased for you that AoA swapped you out your used Q5 for a newer model. I had an issue with my A3 on delivery day, the front windscreen had 4 deep scratches on the driver's side and the ACC (adaptive cruise control) fault light was on. Wasn't well pleased as this should have been caught on the delivery check. In the end they refused a swap for a new A3. They had to replace the windscreen and took them 2 weeks to fix the ACC problem. I got £250 compensation after complaining but nothing more, I guess that's what you expect from A UK customer service.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sbarlas
Very pleased for you that AoA swapped you out your used Q5 for a newer model. I had an issue with my A3 on delivery day, the front windscreen had 4 deep scratches on the driver's side and the ACC (adaptive cruise control) fault light was on. Wasn't well pleased as this should have been caught on the delivery check. In the end they refused a swap for a new A3. They had to replace the windscreen and took them 2 weeks to fix the ACC problem. I got £250 compensation after complaining but nothing more, I guess that's what you expect from A UK customer service.
My sympathies, I would have definitely expected what you received, that they fix the issue and compensate you (not sure what amount of money would have made you happy? Only a replacement vehicle?) With repairs like yours though, not sure why a new vehicle is expected -- I had a major drive train malfunction that was never adequately diagnosed; they replaced $12k in parts and labor in the first 5k miles, and had the vehicle over three weeks. I would have had major reservations keeping that vehicle past the warranty period. Maybe it was good as new, maybe not. And I only got a '13 because I bought so late in the model year, they would have replaced with a '12 if they could have. Congrats on your A3!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AUDIIOS
My sympathies, I would have definitely expected what you received, that they fix the issue and compensate you (not sure what amount of money would have made you happy? Only a replacement vehicle?) With repairs like yours though, not sure why a new vehicle is expected -- I had a major drive train malfunction that was never adequately diagnosed; they replaced $12k in parts and labor in the first 5k miles, and had the vehicle over three weeks. I would have had major reservations keeping that vehicle past the warranty period. Maybe it was good as new, maybe not. And I only got a '13 because I bought so late in the model year, they would have replaced with a '12 if they could have. Congrats on your A3!
They gave me a replacement A5 cabriolet during the 2 weeks , which I must say, I wanted to keep. It was lovely driving with the top down in a white car in Summer. I was happy with the compensation and the car's been fine now for a year. In your case I'd also be very unhappy keeping a car that needed a major replacement so early on in it's life, I would be constantly worried that something else would fail and that it was jinxed.

I've ordered a new Q5 3.0 TDI from a different dealer who really took car of me, hoping to pick that up in September.

One thing I must say is that US customer service is much way better than the UK. US staff really care about the customer and genuinely aren't happy if the customer isn't happy. There is a different culture int he US, they go the extra mile not because they have to , but because they want to.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sbarlas
I've ordered a new Q5 3.0 TDI from a different dealer who really took car of me, hoping to pick that up in September.
Congrats, you'll love the 3.0; I know all of us here with them do. The 3.0's an awesome engine in the Q5: lots of power to get going, yet still pretty decent fuel consumption. The 2.0 (which we don't get here, but of course you do there) would get better consumption, but it's also a lot smaller and slower, and I know I wouldn't be as happy with that. Nice to not feel too guilty about using all that torque I've got.

One thing I must say is that US customer service is much way better than the UK. US staff really care about the customer and genuinely aren't happy if the customer isn't happy. There is a different culture int he US, they go the extra mile not because they have to , but because they want to.
Maybe for the Audi side (though you'll still run into people who don't really care), but in general customer service reps just don't care (though I'd get tired of all the self-entitled people calling in yelling at me for something that's not my fault when I'm getting paid low wages). But at least for something like cars, if you have a really good dealer then they'll help try and push things through Audi if Audi's resistant to making things right. Hopefully your new dealer is able to do something similar if it comes to it (but hopefully you won't have any such problems in the future).
Old 10-14-2014, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi,
I just bought a brand new Q5 2015 and when the speeds gets to 15-16 mph, the rpm goes up on the downshift before coming to a stop. I believe you all had the same issue. Did you ever find out what your dealer do to fix it? Mine said there was nothing they could do. I also contacted AoA and they said my car was fine which infuriated me since they are not the ones driving it.

Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by Tm7384
I have a 2012 Q5 2.0 t as well. I reported the issue to my dealer with about 3k miles and he did something to fix it and now it is much better. I can look through the dealer notes or call and find out what he did....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brand new Q5 -- Transmission Problem?