Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Buying Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Question

Hello all, newbie here. So, I've been rolling around in my 12 year old civic since 1999 waiting for the day I can get a new car. Every few years I would dream up some great choice, but then decide it wasn't quite time.

Now I think its time. Really like the look of the Q5, had the chance to drive a 2.0T a few months ago, was great on the road. Also tried out an X3, a used 2009, the 2011 weren't out at the time. Dad has an A4 and Q7, his first Audi's they have been good cars for the folks. And the final test, the wife had a blast driving it too.

I'm thinking 2.0T Premium Plus, MMI, B&O, and rear airbags
Blue with cinnamon interior

A couple questions
1. Anyone bought with Military Auto Source? I'm sitting in a far away place right now and this is an option for me. I was looking to see if anyone had any feedback. I found someone in the Q7 forums who looks like they've gone this way, and I've pm'ed them.

2. Besides the Hybrid, what's the word on 2012? At this point that's what I'm starting to get quotes for. Any changes coming down the pipe?

That's it for now, hope to be posting pictures by the end of the year.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I personally didn't go with the Military option with my Q5. But a lot of people I work with went with Military sales for all there cars. So if you have any questions I might be able to answer them went through the process just went with leasing over buying at this time.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tosten
I'm thinking 2.0T Premium Plus, MMI, B&O, and rear airbags
Blue with cinnamon interior
My 2010 Q5 is blue with cinnamon leather interior and I can say it is a very sharp look.
I did NOT like the standard wood interior trim offered so I upped to the S-Line package which offered silver/brushed aluminum trim.

There are quite a few 'discussions' about the less that advertised and high consumption of fluids (fuel & oil) in the 2.0 vs the 3.2 - just something to decide on.

Good luck - stay safe until you arrive home & thank you for your service.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by loscoz
There are quite a few 'discussions' about the less that advertised and high consumption of fluids (fuel & oil) in the 2.0 vs the 3.2 - just something to decide on.
Was fuel consumption an issue too? I remember a few posts about bad mileage but it seems on average the 2.0T got great mileage I thought.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gat821
Was fuel consumption an issue too? I remember a few posts about bad mileage but it seems on average the 2.0T got great mileage I thought.
http://www.go-audi.com/39864-2-0t-vs-3-2-a.html

Members on this forum & another forum has some serious issues/discrepancies.

I personally own the 3.2 and love it THOUGH I am a lead foot so I expect not-great gas mileage.
But this posts (link above & others) went down a negative path - that well, I felt should be mentioned.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default oil

My father has an A4 with the 2.0T. He loves the car, hasn't mentioned anything about oil issues. I'll have to ask him about it.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by loscoz
http://www.go-audi.com/39864-2-0t-vs-3-2-a.html

Members on this forum & another forum has some serious issues/discrepancies.
Think it might be the same person...the owner with issues on that site is the same that posted complaints in the thread about what you like about the car. Not to say there haven't been issues and that he doesn't have them but this seems fairly typical. Most people only post to bitch. I did see a thread somewhere about Audi replacing piston rings on some 2.0T, so maybe they had a bad batch. I think if it were a problem edemic to the 2.0T there would be massive problems since this engine is used in so many models between VW and Audi.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Count me in the same boat, except I have not test driven the Q5, so I am hesitant to drop 40+k while overseas.

I am sure it drives great, I am more concerned with rear sear room.

If anyone out there has good detailed pics of someone seated in the rear seat with the front seat completely rearward. I've seen a few pics but I never know how tall the person is or the position of the front seat, etc.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mp906
Count me in the same boat, except I have not test driven the Q5, so I am hesitant to drop 40+k while overseas.

I am sure it drives great, I am more concerned with rear sear room.

If anyone out there has good detailed pics of someone seated in the rear seat with the front seat completely rearward. I've seen a few pics but I never know how tall the person is or the position of the front seat, etc.
I will say this -- if you are 6'4", and you want to sit comfortably in the driver seat, no one can sit behind you. If you are that tall and you aren't driving a long distance, you can move up and a person that's 5"10' or shorter can sit behind you. There's really no scenario in which a 6'2" or greater person can drive and a 6'2" or greater person can sit behind the driver, but that's probably true of a lot of vehicles.

I always describe the Q5 back seat room as adequate but not great. If you are of a normal height and so are your backseat passengers, there's really nothing to worry about. But go a little taller than that and you'll have issues.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by wclepse
Think it might be the same person...the owner with issues on that site is the same that posted complaints in the thread about what you like about the car. Not to say there haven't been issues and that he doesn't have them but this seems fairly typical. Most people only post to bitch. I did see a thread somewhere about Audi replacing piston rings on some 2.0T, so maybe they had a bad batch. I think if it were a problem edemic to the 2.0T there would be massive problems since this engine is used in so many models between VW and Audi.
Really interesting thinking. What you say that Audi has waited more than two and a half years to carry out a recall for water pumps. When individuals are sued for any inconvenience they experienced with car Q5 because water pumps have decided on the recall would not have experienced something worse.
Type in the Google "2.0TFSI oil consumption" and read the first 30 links then say what you think about oil consumption.
For your information post I see that do not know are the not same engines: 2.0TFSI in the VW and Audi is not the same ones as the engine of the year winner for 2005-8. (EA113)
Q5 2.0TFIS is EA888
Only 2.0TFSI engine has a problem with oil consumption.
Engine 1.4TFSI, 1.8TFSI, 3.0TFSI 3.2 FSI do not have that problem

So much knowledge about your engine.

P.S. When the car factory easily recognized their mistakes quickly collapsed. Just think how TOYOTA any accidents and how many people died that they would admit a mistake for which they knew.

wclepse why do not you write me where you're from the city, state,
brand and type of drive her car

Why hide it

Last edited by spijun; 03-24-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying Question