Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cabin filter, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cabin filter, etc.

Looking over my new Q5 on a beautiful Saturday afternoon...

- bled the air out of the 20's and replaced it with nitrogen. For some reason, they had 44psi in them (should be 33).

- The toolkit is missing.

- Do these cars have a cabin filter? I removed the cowl cover (just ahead of the windshield), and the cabin air intake box has no filter. It would seem that a filter should be there, no? Anybody know?
Old 05-30-2010, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nitro

Originally Posted by ELEVENS

- bled the air out of the 20's and replaced it with nitrogen.
This year I wanted to get nitro as well until my service rep said a couple of things that changed my mind. First, he said this is done when mounting new tires, or after removing the tires so that all air is removed from the tires. Second, if my memory serves me correctly today, it was $9/wheel.

I'm just throwing this out here because honestly I don't know if it makes a whole big bunch of difference if all the air is not bled before putting in the nitro, or was this just another money maker for the dealership .
Old 05-30-2010, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Dog
This year I wanted to get nitro as well until my service rep said a couple of things that changed my mind. First, he said this is done when mounting new tires, or after removing the tires so that all air is removed from the tires. Second, if my memory serves me correctly today, it was $9/wheel.

I'm just throwing this out here because honestly I don't know if it makes a whole big bunch of difference if all the air is not bled before putting in the nitro, or was this just another money maker for the dealership .
My dealer did it for free, took about 45 minutes to bleed the air out and replace with the nitro.... If I had to pay for it, I would have passed I imagine.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- bled the air out of the 20's and replaced it with nitrogen. For some reason, they had 44psi in them (should be 33).

- Do these cars have a cabin filter? I removed the cowl cover (just ahead of the windshield), and the cabin air intake box has no filter. It would seem that a filter should be there, no? Anybody know?
Yes it appears they have a filter, however not where you were looking,

below glove box as this link describes

http://forums.motivemag.com/showthre...ostid=63100724
Old 05-30-2010, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Cabin filter, etc.

Originally Posted by manup
My dealer did it for free, took about 45 minutes to bleed the air out and replace with the nitro....
Lucky you . Then you're oneup manup .
Old 05-30-2010, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Dog

Don't bother trying to figure it out. When a tire is mounted it should have the EXACT same amount of "air" in it as a tire that has had the valve stem core removed to allow all of the air to escape. The residual left in the tire s mostly Nitrogen anyway. So your service rep is not too smart. What is most worthy of consideration is the fact that the benefit of Nitrogen in tires is grossly overstated(by the people that want you to pay for it) and a scam. Nitrogen? C'mon...what will they come up with next?!! Jeez! http://ahotcupofjoe.wordpress.com/20...-tires-a-scam/
Old 05-30-2010, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tool kit was located under the carpeted panel that's underneath the plastic bin adjacent to(just to the rear of) the spare. Lift up and remove the main ridgid cargo floor panel. Remove the plastic bin. Remove the spare(not absolutely necessary). Remove the carpeted panel that's directly under the plastic bin. Tool kit is there. Hope you just didn't know where to look. Otherwise, it's back to the dealer. Make sure you have the T-handled tool for attaching the cross-bars. Have you found you tire pump yet? GL.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nitro vs Air

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Thanks for the link fellow Dog. I read the article and came away a little wiser .
Old 05-31-2010, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
My tool kit was located under the carpeted panel that's underneath the plastic bin adjacent to(just to the rear of) the spare. Lift up and remove the main ridgid cargo floor panel. Remove the plastic bin. Remove the spare(not absolutely necessary). Remove the carpeted panel that's directly under the plastic bin. Tool kit is there. Hope you just didn't know where to look. Otherwise, it's back to the dealer. Make sure you have the T-handled tool for attaching the cross-bars. Have you found you tire pump yet? GL.
Thanks, I didn't look under the carpet that the spare sits on. 'll take a look.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OK let's talk nitrogen. I'll start right off by saying I would NOT pay too much for it. Yes, I AM a scientist. I'm a degreed chemist and own two analytical chemistry laboratories. Not to brag, just establishing credentials.

The benefits of nitrogen are indisputable. I'll agree with all of the points in the article except perhaps the relative volatility of air vs nitrogen is not an issue at all at ambient temperatures. The last two points in the article are hyperbole but conditionally true.

My garage has both compressed air and nitrogen. The compressor runs my air tools. The nitrogen cylinder is for tires. It's convenient and cheap - about $25, and I've filled about 50 tires so far and it's still 1/2 full. The regulator is expensive but I have dozens of unused ones at my lab so that was not an issue. The nitrogen gas is bone dry and that's the biggest reason tire pressures aren't so temperature dependent.

If you check your tire pressures frequently and/or live in a climate where temperatures don't change much, there is no need for nitrogen. If you live where temperatures change greatly (such as here in Michigan), nitrogen is a good idea. Just don't pay too much for it.

Quick Reply: Cabin filter, etc.