Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Car keyed

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car keyed

Hey all.

Not a happy day. Owned the car for less than 2 months now and it’s been keyed. Thankfully just the rear passenger door.

Ive gotten a police report and will discuss with my insurance potentially covering it (cost benefit for the increase in premium vs. cost of fixing it).

In the meantime im asking if anyone has a reputable shop in the Central Maryland area they would trust to repaint. I live in Baltimore but I’m constantly in Northern Virginia and I’m willing to travel for someone’s referral. As well - if anyone has had experience with this type of repair and can say what they paid so I can determine whether I’m getting a fair deal or not.

While im at it - I’m considering getting my car serviced independently to hopefully save some $$. Is that a realistic concept? And if so - anyone who can refer an independent service professional near me as well.

Vehicle is a 2015 Q5 PP in midnight blue (not sure if that’s the real color name - but if you’ve seen it you’ll know what I’m referring to).

Thanks all.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996BlueA4
Hey all.

Not a happy day. Owned the car for less than 2 months now and it’s been keyed. Thankfully just the rear passenger door.

Ive gotten a police report and will discuss with my insurance potentially covering it (cost benefit for the increase in premium vs. cost of fixing it).

In the meantime im asking if anyone has a reputable shop in the Central Maryland area they would trust to repaint. I live in Baltimore but I’m constantly in Northern Virginia and I’m willing to travel for someone’s referral. As well - if anyone has had experience with this type of repair and can say what they paid so I can determine whether I’m getting a fair deal or not.

While im at it - I’m considering getting my car serviced independently to hopefully save some $$. Is that a realistic concept? And if so - anyone who can refer an independent service professional near me as well.

Vehicle is a 2015 Q5 PP in midnight blue (not sure if that’s the real color name - but if you’ve seen it you’ll know what I’m referring to).

Thanks all.

That's sad, happened to me twice, but I do my own painting so can't comment on cost.

Is that really a key'd job? When people key they usually have a straight line and go a much longer distance.

Is it a deep scratch through the clear coat and through the paint to the primer/metal?

If it is just a shallow scratch in the clear coat you should be able to wet color sand it and buff it out.

If you want a good match, with it blended into the front door and rear quarter panel properly, and have the correct final paint surface texture to match the rest of the Q5, then you need a top of the line body shop.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 04-22-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
That's sad, happened to me twice, but I do my own painting so can't comment on cost.

Is that really a key'd job? When people key they usually have a straight line and go a much longer distance.

Is it a deep scratch through the clear coat and through the paint to the primer/metal?

If it is just a shallow scratch in the clear coat you should be able to wet color sand it and buff it out.

If you want a good match, with it blended into the front door and rear quarter panel properly, and have the correct final paint surface texture to match the rest of the Q5, then you need a top of the line body shop.
I would have to assume it was a key job. Living in the city and my particular neighborhood, we get terrorized by the Baltimore youth. As I didn’t see it happen, I can’t speak specifically to what exactly it was. But it’s through the paint into the metal. If you zoom in on the photo you can see how significantly wide the scratch is and the significant color change from paint to metal.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996BlueA4

I would have to assume it was a key job. Living in the city and my particular neighborhood, we get terrorized by the Baltimore youth. As I didn’t see it happen, I can’t speak specifically to what exactly it was. But it’s through the paint into the metal. If you zoom in on the photo you can see how significantly wide the scratch is and the significant color change from paint to metal.

Just the clear coat being scratched on a dark color will look white. I have brilliant black and after the winter I have a few scratches that look white as yours and I buff them out with ease. I can't tell from you photos the extent of the damage.

Again, worse case is to paint the door blending into the side panels. I have seen some dealer touch up guys do amazing work of just filing in the scratch, but it was always noticeable. If you feel that you could be vandalized again, maybe that is the better way to go.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

If that happened someplace where you often go, it may happen again after you fix it.

Matching metallic paints of any kind is not easy. To repaint the door, you need a shop that will guarantee the work will match perfectly--and that's hard to get in writing.

It may be better to simply have it polished out as best they can, and retouched/filled as best they can, without attempting to shoot the entire door. You'll probably still see a lesser scratch....but if you park back in the same place and the same guy sees you've undone his/her work, and then does it bigger and better....Yeah.