Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Changing xenon lightbulbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing xenon lightbulbs

Hi, anyone know some plce with details or even a diagram on how to change HID lightbulbs for the Q5? One of the bulbs seem to be burning more yellowish than the other, and its annoying me to no end at night...
Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you have a look in the manual (no sarcasm intended)? I have not looked, but thought something like that would be in there for maintenance purposes. May be worth a shot.

-tgt
Old 11-22-2011, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did look in the manual, but there's no mention about how to change bulbs for any of the lights anywhere on the car. I guess they really want you to bring it in for something as simple as a bulb swap? I also wanted to adjust the aim angle of the headlights as they're pointed a little bit too low, but I've read that it requires delving into some sort of coding...
Old 11-22-2011, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by anthrakz
Hi, anyone know some plce with details or even a diagram on how to change HID lightbulbs for the Q5? One of the bulbs seem to be burning more yellowish than the other, and its annoying me to no end at night...
You can not change the angle of light without computers.
Level Xenonon light based on the parameters; ABS system,level sensor car and the speed sensor.
Tomorrow I will put the guidance for replacement bulbs
Sorry for my english

Last edited by spijun; 11-23-2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually Spijun, your English works well !

And to the OP, the manual DOES have something along the lines of take it to the dealer for bulb swaps !
English translation?
you are too stupid to swap bulbs in fine German Automobiles !!!
Old 11-22-2011, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Actually Spijun, your English works well !

And to the OP, the manual DOES have something along the lines of take it to the dealer for bulb swaps !
English translation?
you are too stupid to swap bulbs in fine German Automobiles !!!
The manual DOES have something: oil change, replacing brake pads: Take it to the dealer
Again, some car owners themselves to work

I drive Audi cars 22 years and I changed the 9 models

Sorry for my english

Last edited by spijun; 11-23-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by anthrakz
I did look in the manual, but there's no mention about how to change bulbs for any of the lights anywhere on the car. I guess they really want you to bring it in for something as simple as a bulb swap? I also wanted to adjust the aim angle of the headlights as they're pointed a little bit too low, but I've read that it requires delving into some sort of coding...
This is an electronic manual for the official Audi service
Here are instructions for replacing xenon bulbs

This is from an electronic catalog of spare parts
You need a xenon lamp D3S because there are versions of D2S and D1S

Last edited by spijun; 11-22-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, you can adjust the aim of your lights without the use of a VAG COM cable. The point of doing it with a VAG COM is if you have a calibrated headlight aiming device.

If you take a look on top of your headlights you will see two black (from memory) plastic screws on each headlight. One will adjust height and the other will adjust left/right aim. Unfortunately my wife has the car tonight otherwise I could take a photo of the screws.

I have adjusted my headlights and it has made a big difference to the effectiveness of the Xenons out on the open road (high beam) however I'm still not particularly impressed with the high beams - oh well!
Old 11-23-2011, 01:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Actually, you can adjust the aim of your lights without the use of a VAG COM cable. The point of doing it with a VAG COM is if you have a calibrated headlight aiming device.

If you take a look on top of your headlights you will see two black (from memory) plastic screws on each headlight. One will adjust height and the other will adjust left/right aim. Unfortunately my wife has the car tonight otherwise I could take a photo of the screws.

I have adjusted my headlights and it has made a big difference to the effectiveness of the Xenons out on the open road (high beam) however I'm still not particularly impressed with the high beams - oh well!
Have you tried this for open road:
-highway light function active
http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/au...obahnlicht.php

Last edited by spijun; 11-23-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one! Thanks for that.

Unfortunately I've lost my VAG COM cable (women ) so I can't actually try it out. I think I might have to fork out for another one but I've been putting it off until I really need it for something - this might be that something.

If this improves the open road lighting, I'll be very impressed!

Have you tried it?

Quick Reply: Changing xenon lightbulbs