Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Coding question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coding question

I've been playing around with VCDS and I just had one quick question:

If the dealer updates the software in your car when you take it in for service, will that undo any adaptations done through VCDS?
Old 11-23-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it can. I had a S/W update done on mine and it reset some values while leaving others alone. I keep a record of my changes and test them all after an update.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Perfect, thanks! Just making sure they won't give a bunch of grief because I changed a few things. I'm really glad I bought the Ross-Tech/VCDS - it's very slick and it's cool to be able to make these little tweaks with such ease.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default I think they work from a master version control type index now...

thus the Audi master server knows by VIN what software revs are supposed to match up to each system component if they scan the various car systems. That in turn can lead to updating of modules whether you want them or not. Usually people do, but on some like the prior steering update there were some mixed opinions. In general they won't pay much attention to any coding tweaks, and are fairly "blind" to them. Thus if the system says update some module and you already tweaked it, it will just get overwritten to the new version and you would have to put it back the way you want it.

One caution I would give you is take a complete scan of the car BEFORE any module changes (sounds like too late already, but get what you have...) in case later you need to back something out. Trust me from doing it for three generations of Audis now, a few years later you will be kind of foggy on some and your handwritten notes or "how to" print outs you followed may not do it. Some of the advanced tweaks involve some risk and some things can end up not panning out. (Simpler stuff like the remote window and roof open and close are common examples of well plowed safe ground by contrast). The Ross-Tech log files technically keep track of your changes, but something I learned previously is that unless you save them, apparently the log files get wiped if you do a Ross-Tech software update, which happens once or twice a year. Finally if you literally screw up a module, you want to try to undo it, or if not possible, at least remove your "recoding fingerprints." If not and somebody starts looking hard at something they think is squirrelly, you could get into a warranty pissing contest. Those could be around the drivetrain area with things like the Drive Select tweaks, maybe the ABS module and the like as examples.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-23-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did a complete scan and saved it before I did anything else. The main tweaks I've made have been lighting and instrumentation related.

The one mod I would like to do but have been unable to find is having the parking brake release when I put the car in gear. My Jag worked like that so it feels a bit strange having to hit the gas for it to release.