Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Control Arm Bushing ---PRESS

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Control Arm Bushing ---PRESS

Hello,
I was just told my lower control arm bushings are cracking. I've decided to change all... ordered parts from FCP Euro and wanted to know if anyone knows where I can find a bushing press for AUDI? I will be doing the install along with my Uncle.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

japforgerman What you're going to want is a hydraulic press.If you don't have one, any half decent garage will and should do the press out and press in for a small fee.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

For the DIY'ers on these back into D3 A8 and others, the typical modest cost go-to tool was a hydraulic press from Harbor Freight. Haven't ever gotten one, but $100 range as I recall. Machine shops around me in SF Bay Area have gone extinct, so choices here are pretty much new arms or buy a press. Shops here will typically only do them if they source parts (machine shop oriented) or do install (repair places).
Old 04-10-2019, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for your help. It's such a big difference in cost vs the whole kit. I paid $146 for all the bushings from FTP Euro...VS the kit for $695
Does the ball joint normally go on these things around the same time?
Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
For the DIY'ers on these back into D3 A8 and others, the typical modest cost go-to tool was a hydraulic press from Harbor Freight. Haven't ever gotten one, but $100 range as I recall. Machine shops around me in SF Bay Area have gone extinct, so choices here are pretty much new arms or buy a press. Shops here will typically only do them if they source parts (machine shop oriented) or do install (repair places).
Old 04-10-2019, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by japforgerman
thanks for your help. It's such a big difference in cost vs the whole kit. I paid $146 for all the bushings from FTP Euro...VS the kit for $695
Does the ball joint normally go on these things around the same time?
Ball joints rarely fail, so cost effective is to do bushings only, unless you find a torn ball joint grease seal or obvious wear.

Be sure not to cheap out on bushings. There is cheap price, and there is cheap junk. Often correlated. Brands like Meyle and Karlyn are typically junk as examples; some also try to imply they are Euro parts via logos and such when they are more likely repackaged Chinese copy stuff. OES typical suppliers are Lemforder (most common for uppers), TRW, maybe Delphi. Given general Q5 wear trends, if you are doing this kind of work, look at the front roll bar links too; high wear part on this suspension design, easy to do and not very expensive. While OE isn't super long lived, the cheap junk can go south in as little as a year/20K miles. The bushing is the usual first fail point.

FCP and rmeuropean are among first places I check for price and which brands they have.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-10-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

man you have been so helpful. I don't know how to thank you enough for your valid information. It really means allot boss. I went with the "Lemforder " from FCP EURO
Old 04-10-2019, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

The issue I have now is finding someone to press the bushings....any ideas?
Old 04-10-2019, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Ball joints rarely fail, so cost effective is to do bushings only, unless you find a torn ball joint grease seal or obvious wear.

Be sure not to cheap out on bushings. There is cheap price, and there is cheap junk. Often correlated. Brands like Meyle and Karlyn are typically junk as examples; some also try to imply they are Euro parts via logos and such when they are more likely repackaged Chinese copy stuff. OES typical suppliers are Lemforder (most common for uppers), TRW, maybe Delphi. Given general Q5 wear trends, if you are doing this kind of work, look at the front roll bar links too; high wear part on this suspension design, easy to do and not very expensive. While OE isn't super long lived, the cheap junk can go south in as little as a year/20K miles. The bushing is the usual first fail point.

FCP and rmeuropean are among first places I check for price and which brands they have.
I might not be able to get these pressed. If I decide to do the whole arms, can I use a mixture of TRW for the Front Upper and Lemforder parts for the lower? They don't have all parts in same brand.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Pressed 4 front new bushings successfully (2 left 2 right), after removing existing. Mechanic had a new bushing press so took advantage of that. Did it when I changed the front rotors. Labour charge was only 20 euros because I also did front rotors and pads. Bought bushings from ebay (it was not meyle, but febi). However mechanic recommended that next time I should buy the complete set.

Last edited by apoelistas; 04-12-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Control Arm Bushing ---PRESS