Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Convenience Key Locking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello danglero,

The sensor could be replaced by taken off the handle if you have the sensor.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 15 Q5 has had the convenience key problem. Started this winter when it was cold. Worked sometimes and not others. Changed the batteries in both remotes and still worked intermittently. Was in for 15k service last week and the service advisor said there is a known issue (not sure which years are included) with the paint on the door handles that interferes with the convenience keys during cold weather. Not sure how or why, but that is what he said. His solution was to order four new door handles, paint them, and replace the existing door handles. Since it is under warranty - that is what they are going to do. We will see if it solves the problem.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danglero
I have been having this issue off an on for a couple of months now where the handles just stop working... randomly. And then start working again... randomly. I can't think of anything that would trigger it. However, it was raining heavily and frequently while I was having this issue.

It hasn't rained in almost 2 weeks and I'm still having the issues, so I can't really say that it had anything to do with the rain. I honestly can't rationalize why keeping your key fob in the car while you use the sprayer would have anything to do with sensors in the handles. I can see that moisture may be getting into the sensors.

I called the dealer and they estimate that it could be upwards of $500 and it could be any one of the sensors that are tripping the remaining sensors. This would make sense, like christmas lights or something. But, $500 I can't rationalize.

Anyone tried to fix this on their own?

Hello, please find some pictures to show how to replace the door sensor for your Q5.
More pictures...

Last edited by QQBB; 01-18-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2015 Q5 and recently my driver's door will not open or lock when touching the door handle. The problem only appears to occur when it is raining or snowing and I then have to use the fob. Other doors and rear hatch will unlock and problem only seems to occur with the driver's door. I will have to have dealer look at it next time I am in for service.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Key problems

The key of my Q7 is no longer recognize by the car. The remote control does work, but the steer is still locked and the console light which stay out.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary1227
I have a 2015 Q5 and recently my driver's door will not open or lock when touching the door handle. The problem only appears to occur when it is raining or snowing and I then have to use the fob. Other doors and rear hatch will unlock and problem only seems to occur with the driver's door. I will have to have dealer look at it next time I am in for service.
avoid dealer car wash . at a cost of 80 each sensor plus labour I would opt for a different solution. Self maintenance, self material acquisition.

Actually because of this water/moisture ingress problem there were some revisions made so part number also has changed.

Last edited by apoelistas; 10-03-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great write up.

I got in trouble while doing it anyway. At times
As I was reassembling the handle, I screwed the torx bolt all the way to adjust it and the whole part (including the bolt) felt inside the door.
I removed all the door trim, and there is no way I can assemble the piece back in place. This part is the one that holds the handle cap in position.

I do not know how to position it and there is not enough space to see how.
Now I have my door disassembled and am giving up. Will likely take the car to the dealer on Monday.

Any insights or tips?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2017, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is the other side of the part.
I don't even know which side faces the door and which side faces the interior.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I watched a German guy on youtube change the sensor before I started doing mine (but he did not do it properly because he wanted to sell a tool which is useful in case the door mechanism locks when you remove the handle. With that tool you can unlock the mechanism without removing the trim to do it by hand ), and read the manual which has some additional information in order to do remove the handle properly (there were no sensors in my handles and no magnets so I had to install them in all 4 doors). Basicly it says that when you loosen the hex bolt, open the handle and press the hex bolt in with the screw driver in order to lock the handle mechanism in the open position, so when you remove the handle you can install it back. No force is required. I also watched on youtube a few people removing the trims (audi Q5 and B8) before I did mine.

Here is the part you requested It is part of the handle mechanism. It was difficult to find. (since I was trying to find a part which did not exist by itself but rather part of something else).
Attached Images  

Last edited by apoelistas; 10-22-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Quick Reply: Convenience Key Locking Problem