Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Coolant leak caused by water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak caused by water pump?

I just had my 2010 Q5 towed to dealer for a serious coolant leak, no coolant fluid left at all in the tank. My car's VIN is not in the list of recall on Audi's website.

I did check if I have a plastic water pump following this thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2791558
It was plastic and I planned to take it in for a diagnose in last weekend even my car's VIN is not in the list of recall. But didn't have time to do that. Now it broke down on me!

So not being in the list doesn't mean you are safe enough. Just a FYI for you guys.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry and good advice
Old 10-12-2010, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Shaft

So not being in the list doesn't mean you are safe enough. Just a FYI for you guys.
The fix list is released in waves or groups of VIN numbers as not to overwhelm Audi dealers all at once. If your not on the list yet and you have the plastic pump, you will be eventually im told.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2010 was not listed on Audi's site as being subject to any campaign or recall. Yet it did have the plastic water pump so I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in after they looked up my VIN. They replaced the WP no questions asked. I guess what I learned from this is that Audi's site should not be relied upon, and you should call your service department and have them look up your VIN for the required vehicle update.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiCO
My 2010 was not listed on Audi's site as being subject to any campaign or recall. Yet it did have the plastic water pump so I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in after they looked up my VIN. They replaced the WP no questions asked. I guess what I learned from this is that Audi's site should not be relied upon, and you should call your service department and have them look up your VIN for the required vehicle update.

This is so true! Same thing happened to me. I now have the new pump and feel much better driving the car.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yep. Just got the car back, water pump is replaced. Feel much more confident when pushing gas down to floor. Luckily it breaks down today instead a couple months later in the winter.

Hope the issue is gone forever.

Originally Posted by manup
This is so true! Same thing happened to me. I now have the new pump and feel much better driving the car.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

my 2009 Q5 had water pump go at 6 months. Replaced under warranty. this week had 15k maintenance and told that the replaced wp was still the old model. It was replaced. So any 2009 I would guess needs to get water pump replaced. At least ask dealer service department.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont think any Q5 have been on the Audi website recall lookup list, I know mine wasnt. Did any of you got your WP replace and the dealer left your coolant level below min.? I had to make a second trip to the dealer because of that.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
I dont think any Q5 have been on the Audi website recall lookup list, I know mine wasnt. Did any of you got your WP replace and the dealer left your coolant level below min.? I had to make a second trip to the dealer because of that.
Nope! I asked, the Service Advisor told me that they drove the car to "purge" the cooling system and checked the level, added coolant as needed. I checked before leaving and found the level to be correct.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Mine was in between the Min and Max lines when I got it back. Fortunately I had some G12 in the garage, so I topped it off.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak caused by water pump?