Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Daytime running light broken (Q5 2014)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The 2014 DRL is an LED lighting system, complete with an LED driver and control module. Neither the LED array or the module will be available in your local auto chain store.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can confirm that the part you referenced that is available on ebay does fix this problem. To anyone who finds this thread - be careful to order the unit for the correct side, as they are side specific. It is NOT necessary to remove the bumper/grill to do this repair. You simply follow the procedure that is normally for bulb replacement and loosen the headlight enough for it to slide forward about 2 inches (but is still not completely removable). Once that is done, you can detach the rigid felt inner fenderwell covering about halfway around, and reach in through the fenderwell to remove the LED unit. It is not exactly a simple job, but it sure beats removing the whole dang bumper,etc. Plus, for $70 you can fix a dead daytime running light, while the dealer tells you that part is non-replaceable and can only be remedied by replacing the entire $1200 headlight 'assembly'.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Good find.Could safe people a bunch of $$.Probably sourced from Valeo China.Made for Audi China.That's a reasonable source.The Germans are really good at ensuring their foreign workers/suppliers meet the standards they set.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced DRL without removing bumper (drivers side)

Just replaced driver-side DRL module on '15 Q5 2.0. Ordered a pair of after-market modules ($56/pr) off Amazon. It wasn't easy. Took one-hour, although I could probably do it in 30 minutes now. Here are the steps I followed for DRIVERS-SIDE ONLY.
· Remove front plastic cowl under hood.· Remove 5 screws attaching headlight. Keep track of which screws go where. Pull headlight forward.

· Jack up front drivers-side wheel. Remove front left wheel.

· Remove (only) torx screws holding in wheel liner. Pull back wheel liner enough to expose DRL module.

· Remove upper right torx screw on module by accessing from above. This is the screw closest to the passenger side. This is by far the most difficult part. No easy way to describe the process. A torx on a 1/4 socket rather than a 3/8 socket may have made things easier using a smaller socket wrench. NOTE: When I refer to RIGHT, that means toward passenger side; LEFT means toward driver side).

· Remove upper left (drivers side) and bottom torx screw from below behind wheel liner.

· Examine how the connector connects by looking at the new uninstalled module. Use small screw driver to pop the electrical connector off by leveraging the screwdriver under the backside of connector. This is also not easy but I managed to do it in about 15 seconds. I think I might have got lucky.

· Attach new DRL module. Attach the electrical connector from up above. Also not easy but very doable. Attach bottom torx screw first from below inside wheel well followed by upper torx screw closet to outside wheel well (vs closest to the engine). Attached the last torx screw (upper right) closest to the engine.

· Reassemble headlamp and cowl carefully.
I'm sure it is only a matter of time until I will need to replace DRL on passenger side.