Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Daytona Gray - How bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Daytona Gray - How bad?

To anyone who will never get a black car again, how Daytona Gray compares to black and white?
Old 07-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be a stretch...but have you looked at one? The dealer will have some, and particularly if you look at their used lots you'll find lots of ones that haven't been washed in a few weeks if you are concerned about how it looks dirty.

Colors are so subjective that I can't imagine any opinion would really be definitive for you.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Darker the color, the more dust will show. I am so glad to have got silver on my SQ. I've done the black and dark grey and will not go down that path again.BTW, boy does a clean black look good! lol Would not want a reg white but a metallic white looks real nice imo.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
To anyone who will never get a black car again, how Daytona Gray compares to black and white?
I've owned black cars before and daytona isn't nearly as bad to maintain. It'll show dirt, but it's not terrible, as the pearl really helps counter the dirt in the sun. You really don't have to worry about swirl marks/micro scratches either.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:14 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by BG SQ5
I've owned black cars before and daytona isn't nearly as bad to maintain. It'll show dirt, but it's not terrible, as the pearl really helps counter the dirt in the sun. You really don't have to worry about swirl marks/micro scratches either.
I can echo the same experiences with my Daytona...much better than black.
I had a black car once....only once....
Old 07-13-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am a big fan of black cars and have had two. I went into my Audi purchase with the idea that I wanted a 3rd black car. Time was not on my side as I needed a new car. As such, I ended up with a Monsoon Gray A3 (pretty close to Daytona Gray) and I could not be happier! I think the color is classic Audi. It helps show off the beautiful lines and definitely easier to keep clean. If you also like dark accents (tint, black wheels, black badges/grill) the gray looks really nice. I wasn't disappointed and hope you won't be either if you go that route.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just purchased a Daytona Grey S3 and have to say its held up to looking dirty after i drove the car for close to 950 miles through dust and rain. Still looks fairly clean other than the brake dust on the wheels.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have both a Daytona Gray and a white car, the Daytona Gray hides dirt better then the white in my opinion. The white is much cooler on a hot day!!!
Old 07-13-2017, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daytona gray much less likely to show dirt than darker shades . However if you are a bit of a clean fanatic, and keep the your cars detailed, the darker colors especially black are much more striking imo. Never thought I would own a black car but fell in love with a Mythos black metallic SQ5 with upgraded red/black interior (it was the only SQ5 on the lot and I was under some time pressure). I haven't regretted the color for a moment. It may even take less work than my 2105 Midnight blue Q5 TDI did, possibly because of more metal flake in the Mythos. However it does take more work than my Space gray BMW which is pretty close to Daytona gray pearl.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tmfstyle
Daytona gray much less likely to show dirt than darker shades . However if you are a bit of a clean fanatic, and keep the your cars detailed, the darker colors especially black are much more striking imo. Never thought I would own a black car but fell in love with a Mythos black metallic SQ5 with upgraded red/black interior (it was the only SQ5 on the lot and I was under some time pressure). I haven't regretted the color for a moment. It may even take less work than my 2105 Midnight blue Q5 TDI did, possibly because of more metal flake in the Mythos. However it does take more work than my Space gray BMW which is pretty close to Daytona gray pearl.
On average, I'd say within 2 hours after I wash my car it will already have a layer of dust covering it. Game over on my black Altima I had. Can hardly tell on my wifes white CR-V and it doesn't show on my silver SQ except on the windows.

Quick Reply: Daytona Gray - How bad?