Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dead MMi

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead MMi

Hi everyone, I have been trying to fix the out-of-control climate control on my 2011 Q5 that was parked for 3 years. So far, what I have achieved in the process is nothing but confirming I am a complete idiot. I accidentally reversed the battery polarity. I know I deserve to be slapped hard in the face. Now the MMI would not turn on at all. I have checked every single fuse from the front right, left fuse panels and also the rear panel in the truck. They looked fine to my untrained eyes. Have already wasted 100 dollars at a shop for nothing. Before handing over my *** to the dealer, any one might have a good guess on what I have fried? Thanks a ton.

Best regards,
Huge Idiot.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

You must check the fuses with an appropriate instrument and not visually.
MMI has three different fuses in different positions, depending on the model and equipment
Old 01-27-2021, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil w
Hi everyone, I have been trying to fix the out-of-control climate control on my 2011 Q5 that was parked for 3 years. So far, what I have achieved in the process is nothing but confirming I am a complete idiot. I accidentally reversed the battery polarity. I know I deserve to be slapped hard in the face. Now the MMI would not turn on at all. I have checked every single fuse from the front right, left fuse panels and also the rear panel in the truck. They looked fine to my untrained eyes. Have already wasted 100 dollars at a shop for nothing. Before handing over my *** to the dealer, any one might have a good guess on what I have fried? Thanks a ton.

Best regards,
Huge Idiot.
MMI will not work if you have a low voltage battery. The battery management system will turn MMI off if low voltage. Have it tested and replaced if faulty.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by spijun
You must check the fuses with an appropriate instrument and not visually.
MMI has three different fuses in different positions, depending on the model and equipment
That would definitely be the best scenario I could hope for. Will try to check those fuses in a more proper way.

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
MMI will not work if you have a low voltage battery. The battery management system will turn MMI off if low voltage. Have it tested and replaced if faulty.
Battery is now brand new exactly same as factory one, so this can be ruled out.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil w
I accidentally reversed the battery polarity. I know I deserve to be slapped hard in the face. Now the MMI would not turn on at all.
What else doesn't work as it should after reversing the battery polarity ?

Can you scan the car for fault codes (using a VAG-aware scanner, e.g., VCDS, Carista, OBDeleven, Foxwell, VAG401, etc.) ?
Old 02-26-2021, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi, sorry to jump in. My MMI just died on me.
A few days ago i got a warning saying battery low.
I have charged it up and taken it on long runs but still no MMI. Just flashed us loading screen then goes off.
If i put a disc in or press the buttons it flashes up and goes off.
Can you tell me what the battery voltage should be please? assume over12V
Thanks
Stuart
Old 02-26-2021, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Forgot to add voltage showing at 12.19V - 12.22V when ignition is off then 14.6V when running.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When you guys changed the batteries, did you also code it to tell the car the battery is new?
Old 02-26-2021, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jbbarrette
When you guys changed the batteries, did you also code it to tell the car the battery is new?
Yes, you have to update your new BEM code or just bump +1 whatever code you have in place using VCDS.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi, i received my optical loops and plugged it in to what i think is the amp. (added picture if anyone can confirm please),
Started the car and screen is back up and running but no sound on any source (attached picture).
Is it a case i just need to replace the amp or whatever that silver box in the picture is?

Quick Reply: Dead MMi