Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-01-2016, 02:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Debris in brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debris in brake lines

I just finished bleeding my brake lines today and wanted to share something. Vehicle is a 2013 model with about 55k miles on it. While the rears had nothing to worry about, the photo shows what look like metal shavings in the two front brake lines. As soon as I broke the bleeder valve open, the debris started coming out. I flushed it till it was clear of any debris or air bubbles.

To give you an idea how much was in the system, I had 2 feet of 1/4" clear tubing, and there were debris floating along the 2 feet of tubing upon initial bleeding.
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2016, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also, the rubber boot that covers the front bleed valve had Brembo on it. Can someone clarify whether or not our brakes are made by Brembo?
Old 01-14-2016, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

TRW made the brakes on our Q5's through model year 2012. Brembo after that.
Have you flushed your brake lines before this?
Brake fluid tends to go bad near the calipers due to super high heat causing debris.
An incorrect brake fluid can cause rubber parts to come apart and cause debris also.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Call me paranoid, but I would want to thoroughly flush the entire system, purge out all of the old fluid in case someone put in something wrong, and make sure it was all clean and new.

Amazon.com: Motive Products 100 Brake System Power Bleeder: Automotive Amazon.com: Motive Products 100 Brake System Power Bleeder: Automotive

You might want to try use a Motive pressure bleeder (various models with different adapters) as they make the job very easy, you just hook it over the fluid reservoir, pump it out, and then open each bleed valve while the pressure pushes out all the old stuff. Beats all hell out of vacuum systems and "pump, pump, pump, wait..." (G)
Old 01-15-2016, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for sharing.

will add this as a step to my planned diy 75k mile service
Old 01-15-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe the maintenance schedule is for brake fluid flush every two years.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I believe the maintenance schedule is for brake fluid flush every two years.
With Audicare it gets done twice.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it every two years now? It used to be three years or 30k miles.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Brake fluid really should be tested for moisture and for copper content. (The copper comes from the way brake system tubing is made, it isn't "just" a simple tube.)

Some tests are done with test strips, little paper strips that change color after a dip. Others are done with a tester that looks like a fat fountain pen and tests conductivity.

Randomly changing the fluid, based on months or miles without any way to account for the environment (high desert? moist swampy lowland?) is just a waste of time and money. Sure, it works. But for under $50 you should be able to buy both testers--and the dealership should have them and be using them in any case--and that $50 will tell you when you need a change.

If the maintenance schedule (from any automaker) said "Change headlights and all marker lights every third year" would that make any sense? Sure, they might burn out, but why not take a look at them first?
Old 01-15-2016, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm the original owner, and this was the first time it was change for the Audi, but not my first time bleeding brakes. All my other vehicles came out clear. Was just curious if anyone else had this come out upon their first flush.

Quick Reply: Debris in brake lines