Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Edmunds' Review ... Q5 = 2nd place

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edmunds' Review ... Q5 = 2nd place

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/...olvo-xc60.html

Volvo X60 = 1st
GLK & Q5 = 2nd (tied)
GM SRX = 4th
Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by somf
http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/...olvo-xc60.html

Volvo X60 = 1st
GLK & Q5 = 2nd (tied)
GM SRX = 4th
Thats funny, just a while ago, Edmunds rated the Q5 over the volvo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT_x-UbflAE
Old 08-19-2009, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Your link is to MOTOR TREND, not EDMUMDS.Having said that, they were both using different criteria - Edmonds was realy looking for an all around nice "consumer" car, Motor Trend was looking for a driver's car, but both good reviews and thanks to both of you for posting the links.

Bob
Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is from the review:
"None of our editors would personally choose the Volvo (can you tell?), but we'd unanimously recommend it over the others to most consumers, especially those with families. It's the most sensible new compact luxury crossover on the market -- a standout modern station wagon that does everything but look the part."

Prior to this, they ripped the NAV and console:
"Inside, the XC60's Achilles' heel is its miserable DVD-based navigation system,...Even simple operations require too much trial-and-error fiddling with controls you can't see. To make matters worse (or perhaps better), the unusually small screen handles navigation functions only, so the audio display is farmed out to a separate tumor-like screen sprouting from the dashtop."

So, if you're the average family, Edmunds feels the Volvo is for you. BTW, I have two kids and sacrificed the extra cargo room for all the other upsides of the Q5. Couldn't be happier.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Got to love the Edmunds editors, they would not buy one but they would recommand we buy one
Old 08-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I considered the VOlvo but couldn'r get past the DVD-NAV and that monochome audio display. We thought the audio sounded horrible. Walked away at that point.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always try to see two sides of the story.
Here is what real Volvo owner writes on their forum:
Love this one
I always think that the nav in the Volvo isn't bad until I drive a new Audi..
<table width="90%" align="CENTER" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
<table width="90%" align="CENTER" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I would be interested to see that comparison run again with the R Design package. </td></tr></tbody></table>That and Volvo sending them one without nav would cure all the complaints!
</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
</td></tr></tbody></table>Source

So - this is cure - no navigation.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think the review is pretty fair. I like the xc60. I might have gotten one. But i was looking at that car back when (still?) Volvo's ownership was in question.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote from the Review...

The XC60 posted the highest slalom speed at the track -- an eye-opening 65.0 mph -- but you'd never know it from the way it corners in the real world. Unlike the agile European-spec XC60 we'd driven previously, this U.S.-market model drew criticism for its numb steering and marshmallow-grade suspension tuning. "If you really enjoy driving," the most damning assessment reads, "you'll be disappointed." Check the finishing order, though: sporty handling is hardly a requirement in this segment, so the Volvo's softness wasn't enough to keep it out of first place.

That is more then enough for me. If I wanted a lumbering beast with a lot of hauling room I would be getting a full sized SUV not a luxury cross over. Them awarding first place to a vehicle based upon it being the best cargo hauler and most practical just makes 0 sense. If that was the two most important categories for a potential buyer they are not even looking at the right segment of vehicle.