Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

European taillights

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTG
Hi My car is 2014 US version.

I just need the channel numbers for our taillights that will need to be changed on the vsds to EU version.

I found that some one decoded A6 taillights but the format of A4/6/7 tail lights are different than Q5 and Q3 cars. We do not have the inner and the outer lights as they do.
Ok are you able to tell me or provide here long coding from your q5 for 09 comfort module and also for 46 module ? Thanks I will try to get one from europe to see. Thanks
Old 04-28-2015, 07:33 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vikislap
Ok are you able to tell me or provide here long coding from your q5 for 09 comfort module and also for 46 module ? Thanks I will try to get one from europe to see. Thanks
I just wanted to provide an update.

Whoever I reached out on this matter either did not respond to me or did not provide any useful information.

My EuroSpec tails should be here soon and I will discover the coding with trial and error since I received no help from anyone.

I have a combination of codes from A4/6/7 and my plan is to compare them to Q5 to separate brake lights from turn signals. Once completed, I will post details here.

I am pretty disappointed with lack of help / response on this subject from those who have done this mod.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TTG
I just wanted to provide an update.

Whoever I reached out on this matter either did not respond to me or did not provide any useful information.

My EuroSpec tails should be here soon and I will discover the coding with trial and error since I received no help from anyone.

I have a combination of codes from A4/6/7 and my plan is to compare them to Q5 to separate brake lights from turn signals. Once completed, I will post details here.

I am pretty disappointed with lack of help / response on this subject from those who have done this mod.
Hi, you see I had same problem with headlight update no help ... I have long coding from 2011 usa version and europe version if needed? Let me know Vik
One more thing I would like to help you but I have 2011 and instal 2013 europe model so for me all works good but I'm also very interested to broke it down so if you can trow up the long coding how its looks like I would like to compare as you said with my but its not that easy to find it and make it right.

Last edited by vikislap; 05-01-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Previously the law provides only red"

Spijun-
My last car had AMBER turn signals. They've been common in the US and I can't see that the CFR would have banned them by mandating all red, and now gone back to them.
All of the LED manufacturers will tell you that if you use an LED behind a lens, the lens should be the same color in order to get maximum brightness from it. So, amber LEDs will almost certainly be behind an amber lens, while red ones will be behind a red lens. That will mean two different tail light assemblies, and I'd suspect only one of those, the US part, has the "DOT" approved stamp on it. If a car in the US does not have the DOT lettering on all the lamp assemblies, any cop who stops the car and sees that can write up one equipment violation per each incorrect lens. Yes, we have cops who know how to make money for their towns that way.

Just saying....they might not think twice about Audi tail lights, but this goes beyond just the cosmetics.

Prime quality LEDs are expensive. I can't think Audi would build both sets into every lamp assembly, that would be foolish of them. So, programming a change of color? Very unlikely.

Last edited by Redd; 05-03-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd

Spijun-

Prime quality LEDs are expensive. I can't think Audi would build both sets into every lamp assembly, that would be foolish of them. So, programming a change of color? Very unlikely.
That's impossible, physically two different models ( US ws RoW )
Old 05-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Spijun-
My last car had AMBER turn signals. They've been common in the US and I can't see that the CFR would have banned them by mandating all red, and now gone back to them.
All of the LED manufacturers will tell you that if you use an LED behind a lens, the lens should be the same color in order to get maximum brightness from it. So, amber LEDs will almost certainly be behind an amber lens, while red ones will be behind a red lens. That will mean two different tail light assemblies, and I'd suspect only one of those, the US part, has the "DOT" approved stamp on it. If a car in the US does not have the DOT lettering on all the lamp assemblies, any cop who stops the car and sees that can write up one equipment violation per each incorrect lens. Yes, we have cops who know how to make money for their towns that way.

Just saying....they might not think twice about Audi tail lights, but this goes beyond just the cosmetics.

I'm pretty sure that my Europe version have dot and E a proof but us have just dot... We are not talking about chage colore with coding thats impossible at all we are talking about split brake from turn signal to get European version works correctly....
Old 05-03-2015, 03:51 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Spijun-

Audi builds two sets. One for the American market with red blinkers and the other one is for the rest of the world.

HOWEVER, both sets look identical cosmetically. Once turned on, ROW light up amber on the turn signal. This was the case on my BMW as well.

I just checked the ROW spec tail lights that are now installed on our SQ and their regulatory logo is "CCC" and the set that the car originally came with is "DOT"

There is no such law in the US that indicates turn signals MUST be red (as I can give many examples of 2015 MY cars that come with Amber tun signals) BUT there is a law in ROW that turn signals must be amber.

If your lights look 100% OEM (which ROW spec lights do and are) there is no reason for a cop to pull you over. Now of course if you live somewhere cops have nothing better to do, they might pull you over to check the little DOT logo on your lights……however, I have never heard of a such case.

Bottom line, Amber turn signals are much safer as other drivers can see if you are turning or braking.

But here in America we are still trying to figure out things like adaptive brake lights, Rear fogs light (my fav topic) & etc where the rest of the world figured them out many years ago.

Originally Posted by spijun
That's impossible, physically two different models ( US ws RoW )
Once again, you are correct sir.

Originally Posted by vikislap
I'm pretty sure that my Europe version have dot and E a proof but us have just dot... We are not talking about chage colore with coding thats impossible at all we are talking about split brake from turn signal to get European version works correctly....
Unfortunately, EU versions only have the "CCC" logo.

I have the EU lights installed now and hope to get them coded correctly in couple of weeks (Someone is borrowing my RossTech cable). I really don't think it is too complicated.

I will keep you posted.

Last edited by TTG; 05-03-2015 at 10:09 PM.