Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Examples of Moonlight Blue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Forum members should start tweeting about this issue as I understand companies such as Audi really monitor Twitter quite closely and respond to negative feedback a lot quicker. It seems they pretty much ignore forums like this though.
This is very true.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by geronimosan
On that topic, can someone explain to me this whole "mandatory back-up camera by 2014" thing in dumbed down, layman's terms for me please? If these cameras will be mandatory, but are not standard on 2012 models, then what does that mean in 5-10 years when we sell our Q5 that doesn't have a back-up camera in a world where the back-up cameras are mandatory?
Don't worry about it. This mandatory back-up camera thing is the most mis-understood thing ever. Your scenario above is not going to happen, and even if it did, you'd be grandfathered in.

I believe it has more to do with making it available on more models. It's a manufacturer thing to get them to bring it down in model and trim levels, not something that will directly affect consumers. Think of it a little like CAFE fuel standards.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

My dealership was quick to get back to me this morning. Here is what she had to say:

"Yep, we have a bit of snag with backup cameras and paint. Some of the camera components and chemicals for some of the paints are manufactured in Japan. And we know what that means. Sounds like some enterprising US company needs to get in the electronics business soon!! So, we have limited colors this year. And we don't know how soon we will have back up cameras."

Originally Posted by Reisen
Don't worry about it. This mandatory back-up camera thing is the most mis-understood thing ever. Your scenario above is not going to happen, and even if it did, you'd be grandfathered in.
Reisen - why do you believe this is a scenario that wouldn't occur?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by geronimosan
Reisen - why do you believe this is a scenario that wouldn't occur?
Because it is not a consumer issue, but a manufacturer one. Kind of like fuel efficiency. Or, weirdly enough, even seat belts. Older vehicles without seat belts are generally grandfathered in, and are exempt from current rules.

Everyone hears about this rule, and thinks that whenever it hits, every car sold in the US will have to have a backup camera installed. That's not the case. What it means is that car MODELs will have to have it available. Basically, to keep the manufacturers from offering it as a luxury only on the higher end models.

One big benefit out of this is I'm hoping people will be less likely to back into my hood while parallel parking. My current BMW has been absolutely torn up by a combination of parallel parking in Georgetown, DC, and New York City.

I'd like to see the exact same thing happen with xenon lights.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

"And we don't know how soon we will have back up cameras."

From the language of the response you received, they don't seem clear on being ABLE to order it.

My understanding is that cameras can be installed (or the relevant chip or whatever) after the fact at the dealership. Assuming this is the case, make sure your order has this written in since various dealerships seem to be throwing all kinds of comments around...which means they are not clear on the issue.

Last edited by cprg2011; 05-06-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cprg2011
"And we don't know how soon we will have back up cameras."

From the language of the response you received, they don't seem clear on being ABLE to order it.

My understanding is that cameras can be installed (or the relevant chip or whatever) after the fact at the dealership. Assuming this is the case, make sure your order has this written in since various dealerships seem to be throwing all kinds of comments around...which means they are not clear on the issue.
I currently have a 2012 on factory order and here is what my dealer told me yesterday:

"The backup cameras will be fully installed at the factory with the exception of the chip that makes the camera operational. When the chip comes in you will bring your Q5 to your dealership where it will be installed at no cost to you, making the camera fully functional. we don't know how long it will be before the chips are available but we are hoping it will only be a few months after taking delivery".

This is what I believe other members of this forum have been reporting lately as well. Hope it helps.

Rob
Old 05-07-2011, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Newbie here. Just ordered my 2012 Q5 2.0T yesterday. Ibis White over Cinnamon leather. Should be here in July.

Thanks for the information on the backup camera -- our dealer had no idea the problem existed.

Regarding the Moonlight Blue paint option, you can see the swatch on Audi's website if you attempt to configure the A7. Not the best representation, but you can at least get an idea what it looks like on a vehicle. (Looks too washed out for me. Almost gray as others have mentioned.)
Old 05-07-2011, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Newbie here. Just ordered my 2012 Q5 2.0T yesterday. Ibis White over Cinnamon leather. Should be here in July.
Did you have any talk about the pricing? I want to pre order as well but dont know how to go about it if we are not sure of the price right now. Is it that we negotiate once the prices are released ?
Old 05-07-2011, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shkr
Did you have any talk about the pricing? I want to pre order as well but dont know how to go about it if we are not sure of the price right now. Is it that we negotiate once the prices are released ?
The dealer couldn't say if prices were going to change. He did tell me that he would be surprised if prices increase more than 1%. We were looking for a 2011, but couldn't find one configured the way we want it. I snagged his only July allocation and had him reconfigure it. Could have gotten a great deal on a 2011 he has in stock, but didn't like interior or exterior colors. Too bad because the equipment was perfect.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Regarding the Moonlight Blue paint option, you can see the swatch on Audi's website if you attempt to configure the A7. Not the best representation, but you can at least get an idea what it looks like on a vehicle. (Looks too washed out for me. Almost gray as others have mentioned.)
Thanks for finding and sharing that!

Imo, if that is an accurate representation of the color (it being a darker blue-gray), I really like it. I'm a big fan of the custom Aventurine color, and was thinking about getting that done, but now that I see Moonlight Blue on the website, I think it would look really sharp on a Q5. That said, I'll wait until I can see it in person. These Build It tools on websites many times don't show the colors accurately.

In terms of pricing, my car salesperson said the pricing of the 2012 should be within 1-1.5% of the 2011 pricing structure.

She also sent me the 2012 order sheet. It is the same as someone else had poted a week or so ago, but attached to this post is the one she sent me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Q5 order guide.pdf (75.3 KB, 257 views)

Quick Reply: Examples of Moonlight Blue?