Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Few details on a wireless hack that can unlock most VAG vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few details on a wireless hack that can unlock most VAG vehicles

I just read this article that talks about some researchers addressing various wireless hacks that can unlock current VAG products. https://www.wired.com/2016/08/oh-goo...n-volkswagens/
Old 08-10-2016, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 354 Likes on 206 Posts

Nothing new, same problem have a all car manufacturers
Old 08-11-2016, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

At least our new MQB A3 is not affected.

Keyless systems of older VW Group cars can be hacked: researchers | Reuters
Old 08-11-2016, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

The article doesn't list the Q5 as a problem.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

this article mentions VW and all sub firms including audi

Thieves can wirelessly unlock up to 100 million Volkswagens, each at the press of a button ? The Register

The eggheads, led by University of Birmingham computer scientist Flavio Garcia alongside colleagues from German engineering firm Kasper & Oswald, have managed to clone a VW Group remote control key fob after eavesdropping on the gizmos' radio transmissions.
The hack can be used by thieves to wirelessly unlock as many as 100 million VW cars, each at the press of a button. Almost every vehicle the Volkswagen group has sold for the past 20 years – including cars badged under the Audi and Skoda brands – are potentially vulnerable, say the researchers. The problem stems from VW’s reliance on a “few, global master keys.”
Old 08-11-2016, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by waninae39
this article mentions VW and all sub firms including audi

Thieves can wirelessly unlock up to 100 million Volkswagens, each at the press of a button ? The Register

The eggheads, led by University of Birmingham computer scientist Flavio Garcia alongside colleagues from German engineering firm Kasper & Oswald, have managed to clone a VW Group remote control key fob after eavesdropping on the gizmos' radio transmissions.
The hack can be used by thieves to wirelessly unlock as many as 100 million VW cars, each at the press of a button. Almost every vehicle the Volkswagen group has sold for the past 20 years – including cars badged under the Audi and Skoda brands – are potentially vulnerable, say the researchers. The problem stems from VW’s reliance on a “few, global master keys.”
From the "original" article............

Audi: A1, Q3, R8, S3, TT, various other types of
Audi cars (e.g. remote control part number 4D0 837
231)

Leaves out a lot of models like the A4/5/6/7/8 and Q5/7 with years greater than 2006.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Nothing really new there. There are older threads here in this forum discussing the problem, and Marc Tobias has several YouTube clips posted, also showing how simple it is to access the cars. Not just VW.

The fact that dealers and AoA alike all claim to know nothing and that there is no problem, while TV networks and newspapers have remarked on it for several years and there are rational explanations of how it is actually done being posted on the web is more disturbing.

If someone tells me that I am buying a car with a security system, but they have reason to know it really is a system that cannot be secured or locked...is that a fraud? Similar to dieselgate?
Old 08-12-2016, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the Audi keys get a new security code everytime you start them?
I don't know if this was just marketing BS or not but when I owned my Saab they claimed that the keys had a chip in them that when you started your car it would create a link or new security code for the immobilizer.
Is this a real thing and if so do Audi's have the capability? If they did in theory if you got my code when I unlocked the car if I started it the hacked key wouldn't work right?
Old 08-13-2016, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

NoVa you may be confusing some things. Most if not all car keys have had chips in them for 30? years now. The idea is, there may be 36 different chips out there, so if someone tries to copy your key, they have to copy 36 times in order to match the chip, or the ECU won't allow a start. That's the most basic (obsolete) level.

Audi claims their chip is more complicated. Apparently some can store data from the ECU, which insurers in the EU have been reading to verify the date of last start (among other things) in order to confirm "my car was stolen a week ago" claims.

Audi claimed that in order to make a duplicate key, the dealer had to connect your car to a supersecret computer in Germany and generate the new key program code directly from that. Well...

Doesn't really matter. See the marc Tobias videos online.

Rolling codes (the ones that change every time) are 1990's technology also. Apparently these "monkey in the middle" attacks work even despite them. Maybe not repeatedly, but they only have to work once in order to let the car be stolen.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
NoVa you may be confusing some things. Most if not all car keys have had chips in them for 30? years now. The idea is, there may be 36 different chips out there, so if someone tries to copy your key, they have to copy 36 times in order to match the chip, or the ECU won't allow a start. That's the most basic (obsolete) level.

Audi claims their chip is more complicated. Apparently some can store data from the ECU, which insurers in the EU have been reading to verify the date of last start (among other things) in order to confirm "my car was stolen a week ago" claims.

Audi claimed that in order to make a duplicate key, the dealer had to connect your car to a supersecret computer in Germany and generate the new key program code directly from that. Well...

Doesn't really matter. See the marc Tobias videos online.

Rolling codes (the ones that change every time) are 1990's technology also. Apparently these "monkey in the middle" attacks work even despite them. Maybe not repeatedly, but they only have to work once in order to let the car be stolen.
This post is about capturing the FOB signals from the owner's remote to unlock a vehicle. Thus the bad guys need too sit near the target vehicle for some time to get all the data that they need.

In the posts on this this forum a few months ago vehicles with the "Advance Key" option are easily unlocked with a black box that randomly generates the codes in a few seconds to unlock the vehicle. Thus the bad guys don't need to stake out a target car and wait to gather data as the owner uses the FOB multiple times.

Quick Reply: Few details on a wireless hack that can unlock most VAG vehicles